Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

exhausted school kids

exhausted school kids

Old Mar 26th 2009, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

lisajane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default exhausted school kids

i wonder if anyone else has had the same problem. we moved to the USA just under a year ago. the kids started school after spring break and then had the long summer school hols off. they properly started school september 2008, my 4th grader is now suffering. in england they would have had at least 4 weeks school hols so far, over here its been 10 days with a few odd days here and there. She's very tearful all the time and just seems exhausted. Has anyone else had the same problem?
Old Mar 26th 2009, 8:57 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: exhausted school kids

Originally Posted by lisajane
i wonder if anyone else has had the same problem. we moved to the USA just under a year ago. the kids started school after spring break and then had the long summer school hols off. they properly started school september 2008, my 4th grader is now suffering. in england they would have had at least 4 weeks school hols so far, over here its been 10 days with a few odd days here and there. She's very tearful all the time and just seems exhausted. Has anyone else had the same problem?
Maybe it's stress. If she's tearful and complains about not enough school holidays, maybe she's not getting along well at school. Have you talked to the teacher to see if anything is going on at school and to see if she's making friends?
Old Mar 26th 2009, 9:26 pm

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisajane
The school schedule here is much more demanding than in England and they have a lot of work to get through in a certain period of time. I always try to make sure we don't have too much going on in the evenings and weekends, my girls all go to bed fairly early (7.30 to read, lights off by 8pm) if they don't they really suffer.
When they are having a hard time I always find some Mom and daughter time really helps
Old Mar 26th 2009, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute

It certainly does take some adjusting to. Especially the term between summer and Xmas. They don't have half terms here, they just have odd days here and there which isn't the same as a weeks break.
My daughter finds the amount of homework pretty hefty but seems to cope okay with the term times.
Give it a few more months, I'm sure your daughter will get used to it, and then forget England ever existed!
Old Mar 26th 2009, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

lisajane is an unknown quantity at this point

i'm looking forward to next year when she doesnt have to get the bus so early
Old Mar 27th 2009, 1:37 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robskatie
The school schedule here is much more demanding than in England and they have a lot of work to get through in a certain period of time.
But are they learning more...
Old Mar 27th 2009, 2:17 am
UNFORGIVABLE

YoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of light

Yes when i moved here into 7th grade i quickly noticed how few days i had off.
No half terms, Bank holidays or none of that. The summer holiday is longer though
Old Mar 27th 2009, 2:17 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

We had the same experience when we first moved here... but they got used to it soon enough.

Now one of my 4th graders swims for 1.5 hours (~2 miles) in competitive swim practice 5 days a week after school and 2 hours on Saturday... then goes home and does her homework.

My other 4th grader has an easy life... she only has Aikido 3 days per week after school and tennis on Saturdays.

...and Girl Guides...

...and Destination Imagination...

They're not exhausted in the least. Can't say the same for my wife and I though!
Old Mar 27th 2009, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

dont know who ur kidding. Its not the kids I worry about its the adults.

I make sure my kids even at 15 and 16 are in bed at a decent hour. And i dont plan their days for them. I went to a parent thing years ago and they mentioned that kids dont climb trees anymore. Their lives are taken up with dance classes, music classes, sports, some organisation or another. So since then I got a wake up call. Its a long year, and in the summer we will all be moaning about when does school start again.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

Location: from Yorkshire, via Hampshire and Surrey to NC Triangle
mommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to all

I'm working as a TA here, as I did back home, and the kids aren't the only ones exhausted, trust me. Many of my colleagues would prefer the year round system that's happening elsewhere around us. My 4th grader is shattered, and so glad it's nearly spring break.
I feel for you all in the same boat, it's a huge part of our adjustment, we arrived Aug '07 so I do wonder when/ if it'll become second nature.
Hugs to everyone, we've been in school over 130 days now, so not long left until summer.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:05 pm

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
We had the same experience when we first moved here... but they got used to it soon enough.

Now one of my 4th graders swims for 1.5 hours (~2 miles) in competitive swim practice 5 days a week after school and 2 hours on Saturday... then goes home and does her homework.

My other 4th grader has an easy life... she only has Aikido 3 days per week after school and tennis on Saturdays.

...and Girl Guides...

...and Destination Imagination...

They're not exhausted in the least. Can't say the same for my wife and I though!
What time do they start school? My eldest 2 have to be out of the door by 6.25am to get the bus at 6.30.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
But are they learning more...
Who said anything about learning more? Except you, of course.....
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Who said anything about learning more? Except you, of course.....
I have no problem with how much they are learning, my kids are all doing really well in school and besides, I would never criticize the teachers, I think they do a great job.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robskatie
I have no problem with how much they are learning, my kids are all doing really well in school and besides, I would never criticize the teachers, I think they do a great job.
The only criticism I have is testing..... It drives me bananas. But I agree with you, most of the teachers do a pretty good job, its not always easy.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
The only criticism I have is testing..... It drives me bananas. But I agree with you, most of the teachers do a pretty good job, its not always easy.
I always take my hat off to them, there is no way I could do what they do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.