Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Execution by Lethal Injection- Problems

Wikiposts

Execution by Lethal Injection- Problems

Old Apr 15th 2005, 4:15 pm
I still love a brit :0)

KarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Execution by Lethal Injection- Problems

Originally Posted by welykuk
Well we both agree there's nothing civilised about sex crimes or murder (although I'm in favor of assisted suicide so I suppose I think some things classed as murder aren't) Therefore in a civilised society we wouldn't have those things. That means we don't live in a civilised society yet. We are perhaps closer to a civilised society than we were in the past (although that may well be debateable I suppose its all relative) I think that to be able to claim a civilised society people within it have to agree to abide by certain standards of behaviour. These are formalised in laws and we entrust others to enforce the standards we've accepted.This means we aren't allowed to exact vengeance because we might go overboard, be swayed by our feelings, coolly dispasionate emotional distance is deemed essential to justice in a civilised society. These change as the society changes (hence women are no longer locked up for life for getting pregnant outside of marriage) society needs to be able to change but it often lags behind because the larger the system gets the harder it is to change. I don't think the system we have works but I don't see enough desire to fundamentally restructure. We seem stuck at this level, content to moan about whats wrong and seek the simplest of solutions that require the least effort from us as individuals. To not seek violent retribution in the face of inhuman behaviour is far harder than to lash out and imo (and it would seem society itself as it supports police & justice systems) the restraint is a sign of civilisation. Coninced?
I agree with you on assisted suicide too and if you'd been here last month to view all of my rants you would see why True there is no civilized society because we are all different, we think differently and we react differently. (sorry I am reading your post as I respond ) I am curious why you think we are closer to a more civilized society that before *simply curious*. All agree on certain standards of behavior? that will never happen for everyone.

OK no. Still not convinced, sorry just my thinking. Everybody on the face of the Earth is an emotional being and yes, though we DO trust the higher power, (our courts, presidents ect) what good are they really doing? THEY can choose who deserves to die but not an individual? If someone killed your husband, child, mother in the most disgusting and horrific way possible would you not want to take revenge? Would being behind bars for years and being fed steak w/ an internet conection and being able to sell pieces of themselves on ebay be a justification to you? NO!! Not if you are truely humane. We teach our children to act a certain way by discipline, why is this any different? The worse the crime, the worse the punishment, no? Do YOU feel those bastards are being disciplined by what they have done to your child? We will NEVER be a civilized nation, it's not humane to be able to NOT feel pain...........Sorry

Last edited by IluvAbrit; Apr 15th 2005 at 4:18 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 4:24 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

I think that to be able to claim a civilised society people within it have to agree to abide by certain standards of behaviour.
That's what we call "laws."

People break these "laws."

We call those people "criminals."

Regardless of how we feel a civilized society should act, we will always have people that will break these laws. Always.

I agree with your idea of a Utopia, but in reality it will never be achieved in a society that screams "Orwellian State!!" whenever preventive measures are suggested.

Trust me, I dream of a world such as this but the cold fact is, it will never be achievable.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 6:03 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKintheUSA
He is now in prison in Concord NH where my best friends husband is a prison guard. Do you know these idiots are given prime rib, lobsters and feel they have RIGHTS? They have tv's, stereos, dvd players, etc..............make things in the craft shop and SELL THEM for a PROFIT for themselves.
Prisons are a huge source of revenue for private corporations and states alike. We've been building them as fast as we can here in Texas, and we board prisoners from other states and even other countries, including the UK!

There is a vested interest in keeping prisons full just as there is with any other industry. The prison industry would rather have the government spend tax dollars on prisons and not on education, health care, etc. When things don't quite add up, always ask "where's the money going." It's easier to milk the taxpayer for money to lock up the mean big bad guys than it is to get the money to help children grown up normally in the first place, and that is key to why we have such horrendous crime here.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
Maybe that's why the system is failing. Those that work in the field have no clue what makes people tick. They simply apply what they are taught in text books and pigeon hole individuals into one big category.

Most of them can't even spell child let alone understand them

"They were all abused as kids. Case solved. Next!"

It surprises me that someone that claims to have a degree in psychology likes using "ALL" when spouting that serial killers and pedophiles have "ALL" been abused. Didn't you learn anything?

Maybe you should have continued your studies into the Behavioral Science field; you may have learnt something worth while.

Would the reason why you "used" to work in the field be due to your lack of understanding or did you keep telling your case patients to "get laid or something- sounds like you need it?"

You sound like a true professional.
Thank you, I am, and this is a message board not a victim crisis centre.
Hey sweetcakes, if you can't take it, don't dish it out.
I take it you don't want to see any real research then?

You lost the argument when you lost your temper, and resorting to picking on typos and making offensive assumptions (which I'm sure I don't need to tell an expert like you that when you make assumptions about people they will always be wrong- 'course you knew that didn't you)- just tells me you don't have an argument..and its obvious from things you've said that you haven't got a frigging clue what you're talking about. I'm sure you could do another google and find some more way way outdated 'text' from the '80s (and questionable source) to quote.

I obviously touched a nerve.

You were right about one thing, the system is failing, badly. But not because of your , but because of a government who thinks like you and will not provide the resources and manpower to try and tackle the root problems- sod victims of abuse, to hell with children at risk, waste of money trying to help and support families, leave shelters and care facilities to charities- build more prisons and fry the bastards when they commit a crime. Your answer to kill the monsters off with an excrutiating death would satisfy your angst maybe but won't do one jot to prevent anything- better make sure your taxes are paid- cos we can't build enough prisons to contain what's going to be spilling out in society in the next couple of decades. Trouble is sunshine that pedophile you'd happily torture ( a normal EMOTIONAL reaction) has probably abused upwards of 50 innocent children before they were caught...and when you swallow that mean average, add to it the knowledge that the vast majority of children are abused by family members or people they know-not by monstrous pedophiles. Even using your "80's statistic..that is a staggering perpetuating problem .... that is not being tackled. Never mind eh, we have the death penalty to deal with it. You can't do anything to cure them at that stage, granted, but there is much that can be done to prevent them from starting to abuse others in the first place- jeeze you have to treat the victims of abuse, even your armchair psychology can understand that.

If you actually knew anything about the problem and the professionals who care about children and work harder than you could even imagine with very few resources available, who are abused themselves on a daily basis, physically attacked, shot, trying to do their job of protecting children.. you would realise just how naieve and ridiculous your diatribe was about them.

Of course I wouldn't tell a victim of abuse to go get laid- I was telling you..
as I said if you can't take it don't dish it out. You got personal.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Even if, as some have said, the above doesn't ring true in all situations it would certainly reduce the scale of the problem and make it easier to identify the exceptions and once we've reduced the levels of crime to a more human scale we would be better placed to answer the next set of problems.
There are too many vested interests in keeping the system as it is and too many people baying for instant results to expect anything to be resolved efficiently.
Yes- too many children fall through the net..and the holes in the net are getting bigger all the time with all the government cuts over the last decade.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Prisons are a huge source of revenue for private corporations and states alike. We've been building them as fast as we can here in Texas, and we board prisoners from other states and even other countries, including the UK!

There is a vested interest in keeping prisons full just as there is with any other industry. The prison industry would rather have the government spend tax dollars on prisons and not on education, health care, etc. When things don't quite add up, always ask "where's the money going." It's easier to milk the taxpayer for money to lock up the mean big bad guys than it is to get the money to help children grown up normally in the first place, and that is key to why we have such horrendous crime here.

Absolutely.
Old Apr 16th 2005, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKintheUSA
My sentiments exactly! One of my employees friends (he didn't know what a psycho he was) recently molested and killed his sister and her two small children....In an hour her poor husband lost his entire family, a mother lost her daughter and two grandchildren. Now do you really think we should treat this MONSTER humanely? He is now in prison in Concord NH where my best friends husband is a prison guard. Do you know these idiots are given prime rib, lobsters and feel they have RIGHTS? They have tv's, stereos, dvd players, etc..............make things in the craft shop and SELL THEM for a PROFIT for themselves. Give me a break. Whatever happened to bread and water and paying the coonsequences for ones own actions. I am a very caring and humane person, but when someone like this does something, we, the taxpayers pay for it. I say they should suffer greatly. Sorry, but this is my opinion.

I ABSOLUTELY agree with you....my husband is a Prison Guard here in Illinois as well....it's infuriating to hear about all the 'rights' these murderers,rapists and molesters have compared to the 'rights' of the Guards...my husband got stabbed in the face ,several years ago,(he's fine now,thank goodness),by an inmate on Death Row,all the inmate got was what ammounted to a slap on the wrist,...my husband got a phone call from the Union boss at the Prison telling him that he had to report for work the next night!....what about his 'rights'?,luckily he managed to get transfered to another cell block but that was a good while after that incident...it wouldn't have happened in the first place if the Warden had been enforcing the 'no curtain' rule,it seems that all 'the powers that be' are just SO worried about hurting the feelings of those 'poor little inmates',it's just sickening,what's worse is the former Gov.of Illinois commuted all the Death Row inmates sentences from death to life in prison,just before he left office....what about all the victims of these inmates....what about their 'rights'???....Lethal injection inhumane?,I'd call murder,rape and molestation inhumane,they know the consequences,they just think they're too clever to get caught...are the crimes they commit humane???....sorry for going on....Sophia
Old Apr 16th 2005, 1:42 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Wait a minute.

we board prisoners from other states and even other countries, including the UK
WHAT??????????
Old Apr 16th 2005, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Sentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sophia_S
I ABSOLUTELY agree with you....my husband is a Prison Guard here in Illinois as well....it's infuriating to hear about all the 'rights' these murderers,rapists and molesters have compared to the 'rights' of the Guards...my husband got stabbed in the face ,several years ago,(he's fine now,thank goodness),by an inmate on Death Row,all the inmate got was what ammounted to a slap on the wrist,...my husband got a phone call from the Union boss at the Prison telling him that he had to report for work the next night!....what about his 'rights'?,luckily he managed to get transfered to another cell block but that was a good while after that incident...it wouldn't have happened in the first place if the Warden had been enforcing the 'no curtain' rule,it seems that all 'the powers that be' are just SO worried about hurting the feelings of those 'poor little inmates',it's just sickening,what's worse is the former Gov.of Illinois commuted all the Death Row inmates sentences from death to life in prison,just before he left office....what about all the victims of these inmates....what about their 'rights'???....Lethal injection inhumane?,I'd call murder,rape and molestation inhumane,they know the consequences,they just think they're too clever to get caught...are the crimes they commit humane???....sorry for going on....Sophia
Sorry to hear about your husband, but what you say is typical the world over something similar happened to my cousins son-in-law in high security prison in u.k.There are too many do gooders concerned about the rights of criminals. like I said in the TIO thread, they give up all rights when they committ these crimes. Who gives a damn if the criminals suffer, I know it is too late for the victims, but what about the families of the vicitims they have to suffer for the rest of their lives.These days with all the dna testing etc.it is unlikely that the wrong criminal will be executed, so top them without delay instead of keeping them in prison for years at the tax payers expense.
Old Apr 16th 2005, 1:44 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izibear
Wait a minute.

WHAT??????????
Yep, we *board* prisoners from the UK -- but they are NOT on death row.
Old Apr 16th 2005, 1:45 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Isn't anyone else as disturbed about this as I am?

Do the people in the U.K. know about this?
Old Apr 16th 2005, 2:04 am
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by izibear
Isn't anyone else as disturbed about this as I am?

Do the people in the U.K. know about this?
These are NOT people shipped over here from the UK, but rather UK citizens who have committed crimes in the US. Texas is in a dither as to what to do with the ones whom the UK won't lock up back home:

http://www.news-journal.com/news/content/shared/tx/legislature/stories/02/17brits.html;COXnetJSessionIDbuild71=ChZ652r8HrW1D UIZVKxkjxz52QNdO1O7p3gxHEugp8QHzZHBAHpz!-960910153?urac=n&urvf=11136598984970.0334289200493 43946
Old Apr 16th 2005, 4:14 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Taffyles
I take it you don't want to see any real research then?.
Sweetcakes? How old are you anyhow?

And I can take anything you wish to hand out because most of it is uneducated crap. As for research, still waiting for the promised scans of your tons of college research.

You lost the argument when you lost your temper
<snip>
If you read my postings as "losing my temper" then you truly don't have the ability to understand anyone.

Why do all posters that believe they are a professional in a field start spouting "ha ha, you lost your argument" and refuse to display any information to support their statements?

A challenge for you, show me an official paper which clearly states that ALL serial killers and pedophiles were abused as children as you claim.

It's that simple. Rather than gloating in premature triumph, show me the information that supports your statements.

Or will this become yet another thread where you will continue to reply to my posts without supportive data just because you are agitated by my comments regarding your supposed professionalism?
Old Apr 16th 2005, 4:22 am

KarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sentosa
Sorry to hear about your husband, but what you say is typical the world over something similar happened to my cousins son-in-law in high security prison in u.k.There are too many do gooders concerned about the rights of criminals. like I said in the TIO thread, they give up all rights when they committ these crimes. Who gives a damn if the criminals suffer, I know it is too late for the victims, but what about the families of the vicitims they have to suffer for the rest of their lives.These days with all the dna testing etc.it is unlikely that the wrong criminal will be executed, so top them without delay instead of keeping them in prison for years at the tax payers expense.
Absolutely sorry I owe ya karma
Old Apr 16th 2005, 4:25 am

Thank you, I am, and this is a message board not a victim crisis centre.
I take it you don't want to see any real research then?

You lost the argument when you lost your temper, and resorting to picking on typos and making offensive assumptions (which I'm sure I don't need to tell an expert like you that when you make assumptions about people they will always be wrong- 'course you knew that didn't you)- just tells me you don't have an argument..and its obvious from things you've said that you haven't got a frigging clue what you're talking about. I'm sure you could do another google and find some more way way outdated 'text' from the '80s (and questionable source) to quote.

You were right about one thing, the system is failing, badly. But not because of your , but because of a government who thinks like you and will not provide the resources and manpower to try and tackle the root problems- sod victims of abuse, to hell with children at risk, waste of money trying to help and support families, leave shelters and care facilities to charities- build more prisons and fry the bastards when they commit a crime. Your answer to kill the monsters off with an excrutiating death would satisfy your angst maybe but won't do one jot to prevent anything- better make sure your taxes are paid- cos we can't build enough prisons to contain what's going to be spilling out in society in the next couple of decades. Trouble is sunshine that pedophile you'd happily torture ( a normal EMOTIONAL reaction) has probably abused upwards of 50 innocent children before they were caught...and when you swallow that mean average, add to it the knowledge that the vast majority of children are abused by family members or people they know-not by monstrous pedophiles. Even using your "80's statistic..that is a staggering perpetuating problem .... that is not being tackled. Never mind eh, we have the death penalty to deal with it. You can't do anything to cure them at that stage, granted, but there is much that can be done to prevent them from starting to abuse others in the first place- jeeze you have to treat the victims of abuse, even your armchair psychology can understand that.

If you actually knew anything about the problem and the professionals who care about children and work harder than you could even imagine with very few resources available, who are abused themselves on a daily basis, physically attacked, shot, trying to do their job of protecting children.. you would realise just how naieve and ridiculous your diatribe was about them.

Of course I wouldn't tell a victim of abuse to go get laid- I was telling you..
as I said if you can't take it don't dish it out. You got personal.
Just my 2cents.........There IS no arguements lost, simple views being shared.
Just because I am curious, can I ask what you do for a living? Are you a phychologist, psychiatrist, counselor or what?..*simply curious*

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.