Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Excited, Restless, limbo and holding it all in.

Excited, Restless, limbo and holding it all in.

Old Jul 30th 2014, 4:22 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Excited, Restless, limbo and holding it all in.

Originally Posted by gazzer82

Without wanting to hijack, what are people's thoughts on cars, lease or buy? Or is buying not even going to be an option?
Plenty of threads on that.

Answer, depends on what kind of budget and car you're wanting to get.

Generally, you're better off buying though. Unless it's something that's not a daily runner or you're the sort that replaces every year.
Old Jul 31st 2014, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

SmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond repute

9 Days to go until i get notification. But did just put the deposit down on a lovely F-150 STX V8 4WD with International Auto Source. Do they come with gun racks
Old Aug 1st 2014, 4:59 am
California Dreamin

Lilly77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gazzer82
Thanks!

The stress levels are slowly creeping up, but mostly we're anxious to just get going. It's been a very long time in the planning and there are so many things we can't sort till we get to LA!

Will keep you all updated.

Would have been a whole load more stressful without the help and reassurances of people on this forum, so thanks to you all!

Cheers

Gareth
good luck with everything!! We've been in LA two weeks now, we move into our rental 5th Aug and are currently in the process of sorting a car out (still using hire one). We've just sorted our phones and bank accounts out... found it hard and stressful first two weeks but settling into life bit by bit. Californians are waaaay laid back so everything is taking longer than expected. We're in Santa monica - where will you be living? Enjoy the last two weeks of England!!
Old Aug 1st 2014, 5:01 am
California Dreamin

Lilly77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SmallShinyAnt
9 Days to go until i get notification. But did just put the deposit down on a lovely F-150 STX V8 4WD with International Auto Source. Do they come with gun racks
Sounds ace!! haha...

Good luck with your move :-)
Old Aug 1st 2014, 12:05 pm
Soon to be Expat

gazzer82 has a brilliant futuregazzer82 has a brilliant futuregazzer82 has a brilliant futuregazzer82 has a brilliant futuregazzer82 has a brilliant futuregazzer82 has a brilliant futuregazzer82 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Lilly77
good luck with everything!! We've been in LA two weeks now, we move into our rental 5th Aug and are currently in the process of sorting a car out (still using hire one). We've just sorted our phones and bank accounts out... found it hard and stressful first two weeks but settling into life bit by bit. Californians are waaaay laid back so everything is taking longer than expected. We're in Santa monica - where will you be living? Enjoy the last two weeks of England!!
Thanks Lilly!

Glad to hear you are settling in! I am fully expecting things to take a little longer than anticipated, the US sure loves it's paperwork!

We have yet to decide 100% but as I am working in Glendale were thinking Pasadena or Eagle Rock. Would love to be by the beach, but I think the commute would be killer!

Let me know how you get on with Cars, any recommendations for helpful dealers greatfully appreciated, in fact any info would be most welcome!

Let us know if there's anything you want us to smuggle out for you, tea, chocolate!

Cheers

Gareth
Old Aug 1st 2014, 2:06 pm
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by WhyteBoar
We're renting to begin with and we've ended up in Gilbert, which was one of the areas we liked originally.
Welcome to the neighborhood
Old Aug 4th 2014, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

WhyteBoar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AZ_Alba
Welcome to the neighborhood

Thank you!

On a separate note, I am reminded now how much I dislike moving. The last few days have seen me rushing all other the place to get the last few things sorted out. I think I am just about there now that the car is confirmed as going Wednesday morning.

Looking back, I wish I had done a few more tip runs a few weeks ago, it would have saved time.

I leave on Thursday and I can honestly say I am ready to go now.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

SmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you!

On a separate note, I am reminded now how much I dislike moving. The last few days have seen me rushing all other the place to get the last few things sorted out. I think I am just about there now that the car is confirmed as going Wednesday morning.

Looking back, I wish I had done a few more tip runs a few weeks ago, it would have saved time.

I leave on Thursday and I can honestly say I am ready to go now.
Well done for getting there. Apart from, start the tip runs earlier. Any tips you would like to give
Old Aug 4th 2014, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SmallShinyAnt
Well done for getting there. Apart from, start the tip runs earlier. Any tips you would like to give
To be honest I think the thing which has helped me more than anything was to make lists of things quite early on. List of things to sell, lists of things to give to friends, lists of bills to cancel. I have basically just worked from my lists the whole time. I started making the list about six weeks ago.

Unfortunately tip runs weren't on the list, which is probably why I left it until the last minute.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

To be honest I think the thing which has helped me more than anything was to make lists of things quite early on. List of things to sell, lists of things to give to friends, lists of bills to cancel. I have basically just worked from my lists the whole time.

Unfortunately tip runs weren't on the list, which is probably why I left it until the last minute.
Lists... I can do that. thanks.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

Funstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond repute

We leave the uk in less than 10 hours and our house sale fell through today!! Talk adding a shit load of stress onto the most stressful day so far. We spent all day trying to get everything into 8 suitcases and keep each one under 23kg. They are all on the bubble. Tomorrow we have a 12 hour flight with 2 children!!

Not feeling very excited right now, just really stressed and down. Fingers crossed it changes.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 11:28 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Funstuie
We leave the uk in less than 10 hours and our house sale fell through today!! Talk adding a shit load of stress onto the most stressful day so far. We spent all day trying to get everything into 8 suitcases and keep each one under 23kg. They are all on the bubble. Tomorrow we have a 12 hour flight with 2 children!!

Not feeling very excited right now, just really stressed and down. Fingers crossed it changes.
but you're heading to beautiful San Francisco, one of the best cities in the world. Everything will work out, it always does, and in a few weeks/months/years you'll look back and smile at how stressful it all seemed, but how it all came together in the end.

I remember having to run out to the 24 hour Walmart at 3am to buy more suitcases, as we couldn't fit everything in. When we got to this end and unpacked I had the most ridiculous selection of clothes you can imagine, including ski gloves???
Old Aug 6th 2014, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Well, I go tomorrow morning and after all my bravado earlier this week (karma), I have had a few exhausting days - coupled with the fact that my air bed deflates in the night!

Everything seems to have come together at the last minute and we finally got there:

Car is gone
Tv was collected (finally)
House is cleaned and passed landlord inspection (phew)
Cats collected and should travel Friday

I highly recommend eating a great curry on your last day. Just had mine and it felt like the best curry I have ever had, I am sure I will miss my local Indian restaurant!
Old Aug 6th 2014, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

Well, I go tomorrow morning and after all my bravado earlier this week (karma), I have had a few exhausting days - coupled with the fact that my air bed deflates in the night!

Everything seems to have come together at the last minute and we finally got there:

Car is gone
Tv was collected (finally)
House is cleaned and passed landlord inspection (phew)
Cats collected and should travel Friday

I highly recommend eating a great curry on your last day. Just had mine and it felt like the best curry I have ever had, I am sure I will miss my local Indian restaurant!

Fantastic! Well done for getting through it all and have a safe and uneventful trip tomorrow. I like the curry idea

Keep us updated on your progress.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

So i got my first response. RFE has come back from the USCIS. I do not have the full details yet, the attorney hopes to receive them today.

Disappointed and a little sad. But fingers crossed it is something that is viable to be resolved.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.