Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Exchanging Currency?

Exchanging Currency?

Old Oct 2nd 2006, 9:11 pm
Moaning Like A Pro

Tolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond reputeTolos has a reputation beyond repute
Default Exchanging Currency?

A relative recently gave me a gift of 50 Australian dollars that I would like to convert to US dollars. I know back home we have the post office and Thomas Cook for a pretty straight-forward exchange. Does anyone know of a similar place in the US? Or do I need to visit the bank? I called Washington Mutual and they told me they don't do it.

Any advice? Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exchanging Currency?

Originally Posted by Tolos
A relative recently gave me a gift of 50 Australian dollars that I would like to convert to US dollars. I know back home we have the post office and Thomas Cook for a pretty straight-forward exchange. Does anyone know of a similar place in the US? Or do I need to visit the bank? I called Washington Mutual and they told me they don't do it.

bureau de change in the airport - i assume its cash?

crap rates but they all are!
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 1:11 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose you bank with Washington Mutual. What about other financial institutions where you have business? e.g. credit union or other banks?

I'll be changing Dollars for a little foreign currency soon and my only option is my bank and they charge $10 for the service (plus I have to wait a couple of days till they get the foreign currency).

NC Penguin
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

No offence but is it worth it for 37 bux probably nearer 30 when you have taken the commission off? Save it for an aussie holiday!!
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I suppose you bank with Washington Mutual. What about other financial institutions where you have business? e.g. credit union or other banks?

I'll be changing Dollars for a little foreign currency soon and my only option is my bank and they charge $10 for the service (plus I have to wait a couple of days till they get the foreign currency).

NC Penguin
What are you changing it for? Unless you need cash off the plane or where ever you are going - use the ATM when you get there - usually as cheap or cheaper and hassle free - this waiting days is so backward!
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 1:14 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
What are you changing it for? Unless you need cash off the plane or where ever you are going - use the ATM when you get there - usually as cheap or cheaper and hassle free - this waiting days is so backward!
Bingo! I need it when I get off the plane and until I find an ATM. The waiting days?... Well. This is the USA!

NC Penguin
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Bingo! I need it when I get off the plane and until I find an ATM. The waiting days?... Well. This is the USA!

NC Penguin

Fair enoughski!

I know its the states and the backing is for cavemen but its still amazes me!!
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 1:31 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally Posted by Big D
Fair enoughski!

I know its the states and the backing is for cavemen but its still amazes me!!
Actually, my bank told me that the local airport now has a bureau de change, i.e. suggesting I go there to change the currency but I'm not going there specially (and having to pay for parking too!).

NC Penguin
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 1:47 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

NC Penguin
ATM's in every airport I've ever been to, unless you need it to bribe an official at the point of entry.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 1:57 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
ATM's in every airport I've ever been to, unless you need it to bribe an official at the point of entry.
or she's going on her hols to somewhere like Mogadishu.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 2:03 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
or she's going on her hols to somewhere like Mogadishu.
In which case she'll get plenty of shrapnel soon enough - no need to bring her own.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 2:31 am
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

You could always give it to charity.
Old Oct 4th 2006, 6:29 pm
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to Australia for a holiday early next year, maybe we can come to some arrangement to exchange your Australian $ for US $