British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   exchanging Canadian driving license (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/exchanging-canadian-driving-license-711870/)

fatcat65 Apr 2nd 2011 11:00 pm

exchanging Canadian driving license

Hi all,

How much does it cost to get your UK driving license back and what form do I need? Looked on the gov website but its not clear how much just says a D1 form which says its for new licenses...so i'm very confused! Also can you apply on line?
Thanks all
ps. All these little things are a pain to sort out....getting a bank account with no fixed address is the worst but don't get me started on that one!!

roaringmouse Apr 3rd 2011 11:34 am

Re: exchanging Canadian driving license

Easy to find fees for driving licence.

Posidrive Apr 4th 2011 8:27 am

Originally Posted by fatcat65 (Post 9281702)
Hi all,

How much does it cost to get your UK driving license back and what form do I need? Looked on the gov website but its not clear how much just says a D1 form which says its for new licenses...so i'm very confused! Also can you apply on line?
Thanks all
ps. All these little things are a pain to sort out....getting a bank account with no fixed address is the worst but don't get me started on that one!!

I had a UK photocard license before left and when I came back it was free of charge to exchange the Canadian license back for my UK one.

May be a good idea to give DVLA a quick phone call to check that they have your original license details, probably at your last UK address, to make sure that you don't get stuck with an auto license.

Beedubya Apr 4th 2011 12:28 pm

I too find the DVLA site hard to follow as I have never driven in the UK before only Australia.

Would it be quicker to go into your nearest office to discuss with an officer, if so can they issue the new licence there on the spot if you have photo's ready, etc.?

fatcat65 Apr 4th 2011 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9284096)
I too find the DVLA site hard to follow as I have never driven in the UK before only Australia.

Would it be quicker to go into your nearest office to discuss with an officer, if so can they issue the new licence there on the spot if you have photo's ready, etc.?

Okay so i managed eventually to find a number for the dvla and called them. They said its free to change your license providing you had a photo card one before or within the last ten years. So you then fill in a D1 form and send it off and it takes around 3 weeks to come back...job done!!
Still think they need to make their website clearer as it doesn't actually say specifically for international licenses what to do.