Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Exchange rate - £ into $...

Exchange rate - £ into $...

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 8:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by waxwabbit
hmmm, 1.691 today checking on xe.com!

highest all week!

hmmmmmmm

do we do it now, or do we wait.

ARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Bloody Hell Wax what are you waiting for???????????? If we had our money now it would have already been exchanged!! Do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

hhmaker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Exchange rate - £ into $...

Hi

There is a lot of talk in the market that the Bank of England will be one of the first central banks to begin the process of lifting interest rates. (they are meeting next week) This will have the effect of making the pound more attractive to large scale investors and therefore stirling will be in demand. I believe that the US Fed will also start to push up rates, but will not start until next year.

In conclusion, I would do nothing until after the BOE meeting next week.

Hope this helps

Originally posted by waxwabbit
Ok guys

I know u aint money experts, but a strawpoll.....

Is the dollar gonna get stronger or weaker in the next 2 months? How much of an effect does xmas have on the rate?

As you can probably tell, its coming time to convert our savings. Not sure wether to use my bank (smile/co-op) or xe.com!

Byeeeeeeeeeee

Lee
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 8:55 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by AmerLisa
Bloody Hell Wax what are you waiting for???????????? If we had our money now it would have already been exchanged!! Do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
too late ..down to $1.67 now
Old Nov 4th 2003, 1:09 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ray6
too late ..down to $1.67 now
Like I said earlier it has much more to do with sentiment than interest rates. Once the markets get it into their collective heads that the US economy is on the up then the dollar will strengthen no matter what happens to interest rates.

Of course if the economy starts to grow rapidly then interest rates will rise because of that. So a strengthening exchange rate could be argued to, indirectly, cause higher interest rates, rather than the other way around!
Old Nov 9th 2003, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

weiser is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya,
apologies for bringing this up again but wanted a quick question answered. I am from the UK, I have acouple of hundred thousand pounds which I want to exagnge to dollars to take advantage of the exchange rate. I am not ready to goto to the US (maybe another few months time) but I want to exchange to dollars now and hold the money somewhere so when I need it, it will be there already converted. Is there a bank in the UK or a website account I can open and exchange the money into dollars and keep it converted into dollars until I go over to the states?

thanx!
Old Nov 9th 2003, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

Hiya,
apologies for bringing this up again but wanted a quick question answered. I am from the UK, I have acouple of hundred thousand pounds which I want to exagnge to dollars to take advantage of the exchange rate. I am not ready to goto to the US (maybe another few months time) but I want to exchange to dollars now and hold the money somewhere so when I need it, it will be there already converted. Is there a bank in the UK or a website account I can open and exchange the money into dollars and keep it converted into dollars until I go over to the states?

thanx!
Old Nov 10th 2003, 1:34 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by weiser
Hiya,

thanx!
Citibank operates US$ accounts at their UK branches. Opening a dollar account there, in the UK, would be easiest.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 11th 2003 at 3:31 am.
Old Nov 10th 2003, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

Thanx Pulaski I will look into that
Old Nov 10th 2003, 5:18 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by weiser
Thanx Pulaski I will look into that

http://www.citibank.co.uk/uk/index.jsp
Old Nov 18th 2003, 6:20 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Duncs
Its always a lottery of sorts. My NOT expert opinion is that the dollar has a substantial underlying weakness and will continue to devalue over the next 6 months. You may get short rallys like in the summer but ultimately the trend is down. I reckon it could still lose up to another 10%. The problem is the balance of paymenst which is massively in the red and getting worse. the only way to rectify it is a weaker dollar to encourage exports. Its economics 101 really. The treasury know this and are not supporting it as they want a lower dollar to encourage trade and production and stimulate production hence preventing more job losses. domestic consumption is not strong enough to do this so export trade is essential to their hopes for a better us economy come next years election. All this points to a weaker dollar in the short to medium term.

I am not a expert and just take an interest in these things but thats my twopenneth.

If you are moving over £25,000 you should get market rate for the transfer with most of the main banks. i used Lloyds TSB and they were fine. If below £25,000 you will likely get around 2 cents less than market more than that and they are screwing you.

regards,

Duncan
HA right again. It broke £1 = $1.70 today and down from here it goes. i can see it holding this a while longer and making it to $1.75 but dont risk your money on my guesses. Alternatively if it drops back then this is probably the high point so take it if you can.

regards,

Duncan
Old Nov 28th 2003, 5:27 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

HA right again. It broke £1 = $1.70 today and down from here it goes. i can see it holding this a while longer and making it to $1.75 but dont risk your money on my guesses. Alternatively if it drops back then this is probably the high point so take it if you can.

regards,

Duncan
ahh $1.722 today where its going to stop? i reckon my $1.75 prediction will come about now we are through the $1.70 resistance. cant buck the fundementals of a trade defecit this big no matter what the headline stats in the USA right now.

regards,

Duncan
Old Nov 29th 2003, 8:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

ahh $1.722 today where its going to stop? i reckon my $1.75 prediction will come about now we are through the $1.70 resistance. cant buck the fundementals of a trade defecit this big no matter what the headline stats in the USA right now.

regards,

Duncan

Oooh lets hope your prediction holds true, especially in January when I want to exchange money.
Old Nov 29th 2003, 9:11 am
JeanDupont

I have a brotherinlaw who is a stockbroker - the expectation in his office is that the pound sterling will reach $2.10 next year - apparently the problem is that the US has a constantly rising (currently 5%) trade deficit gap .

I don't understand all that but England would become expensive to visit if it was $2 to the £.

And consequently cheap for Brits visiting US - or buying houses here.
I have an investment payable to me soon in UK - large lump sum of about $450,000- I also will be faced with the decision about converting it or not.

If I do convert it to US$, even at a high rate - I won't get much interest - if I keep it in pounds then I can get 4% p.a.

Anyone any advice?

Old Nov 29th 2003, 9:40 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Jean I'm taking a chunk of money over to the US with me though of course it's the Euro conversion.

I've talked to a financial advisor over there who reckons on a 6% return for my investment. See if you can find a good one in your area.

My montly income is in sterling so I'm stuck with fluctuating rates. The last time I recall the rate being £1 = $2 was around 1991 and I can vaguely remember it being on a parity. I've done my cost of living sums on the worst possible rate so I don't want to get too excited.
Old Nov 29th 2003, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

Do they really think that it will be $2 to 1GBP by next year??

I'm in the U.S., getting divorced and moving back to the UK with what I thought would be enough for a down payment for a house.

I should have around $75K to exchange into pounds - how can I get the best rate when I move back??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.