Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Ex-pats in Philadelphia?

Ex-pats in Philadelphia?

Old Sep 30th 2009, 1:37 am
Just Joined

johntysoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ex-pats in Philadelphia?

I have recently moved permanently to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and I'm looking to meet up with some fellow Brits to hang out with and talk about lifestyle.

Anyone interested?

Thanks,

John

http://johntysoe.wordpress.com
http://www.twitter.com/johnjamestysoe
Old Oct 5th 2009, 7:49 pm
foxy little minx

bequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Ex-pats in Philadelphia?

I left Philadelphia two years ago, but maybe you'll have more luck searching for expats in meetup.com.
Enjoy the city! I kinda miss it.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

imissbrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Ex-pats in Philadelphia?

Hi All

I've recently moved here too!

How have you settled in and are there many Brits in this area?
Old Jun 25th 2010, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

NiceOneDelBoy will become famous soon enough

Ello,

I'm a late replier!

I'm not so much a city dweller but am a city commuter...I live out in the West Burbs. However I do work in the city and have been in the area for a few years. Philly is a great place to be (as long as you stay in the nice areas of course).

Try checking out the Dark Horse, tons of Brits in there on match day, it has a few floors of pubs. Also I recommend checking out the other counties in the area Chester, Montco...feels very English to me...There's also a bunch of English style places to check out, drink and eat.

Philly has the dreaded wage tax whether you live or work here, it's a pain in the ar$e. transportation is good, unless of course you try to use it in a storm like last night....grumble grumble.

As Brits we tend to be a bit put off from saying "Hello I'm English" So we don't really realize how many there are of us in the area. There seem to be a lot, I work with two Brits in Philly.

Let me know if anyone is hanging out in Philly or burbs, maybe even catch a game. If you want more tidbits on the area give me a shout.

Peace

Simon
Old Jun 30th 2010, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

Hey Simon,

Thanks for the respone, and better late than never i say!

I'm in a similar position to you, i work in Philly - but i commute from the surburbs (Bucks County).

So far i have really enjoyed it here, i'm getting to see more of the City at HH's etc. I have got to admit i do enjoy NYC a lot more, having just got back from another awesome weekend there! But NYC is way too expensive.

I watched the England games at the Plough on 2nd, it was a really good atmosphere at our 2nd game, but that's all history now!

Where abouts do you work etc?
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

NiceOneDelBoy will become famous soon enough

alright imssbrit.

Been to NYC only a handful of times, great atmosphere though.

I work right close to independance hall, in the old city area, how about you?

I have mentioned "The Whip" on here before, not sure the distance for you, its out in Chester County - but it's a great English style Pub - close to home food too.

Still can't find a decent fish and chips, how was NYC for finding that kind of stuff?

Cheers.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

Cool Re: Ex-pats in Philadelphia?

Hey Simon

I work next to the Independance Hall too!

It's weird as i think i may have met you already - were you watching any of the England games at the Plough a few weeks back? I am sure i met a Simon from the UK there....?

NYC was fantastic, but no i didnt find any Fish n Chips! I am going back for a holiday in August, can't wait!
Old Jul 19th 2010, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

BatterseaDan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I too have recently moved to Philly (3 days ago) only know the wife and in-laws, would be great to have some info on where to go to meet fellow brits and watch football (and cricket, tho that's probably to much to ask for) I don't think I'm really ready for the American approach to 'soccer' just yet.

any advice or ideas would be grateful.

Cheers
Dan
Old Jul 21st 2010, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

Hey Dan

Welcome to the heatwave that is Philly at the mo!

Sure, so there is an Irish pub called the Plough (& Stars) on 2nd Street in Olde City, and there is also a pub called Fado (which is the best place to watch footy and meet Brits) located in Centre City. Both places have websites with more information and you should call them in advance if you want to find out if a specific game is being played etc. I'm not sure how often they play games now the world cup is over, this is my first year here.

What brings you here and where are you staying in Philly?
Old Jul 21st 2010, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

BatterseaDan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi imissbrit,

Thanks for your reply and advice, I'll definitely look into them! I was in centre city yesterday and stumbled upon The Elephant and Castle yesterday, looked alright but didn't have time for a beer, do you know anything about that place?

keep that heatwave coming I say, It's been a long time since I've seen the sun!
What brought me here? my wife, she's from philly and wants to be closer to her parents (we met a couple of years ago working in asia) and as I'm not a big fan of london, it didnt bother me to come here. We are In the Mt Airy/Chestnut Hill area, 20 mins out of Centre city, It's nice and pleasent, could be worse.
And you? what are you doing here? Do you like it? anywhere else I should check out? any general day to day tips?

Once again thanks for replying and enjoy.

Dan
Old Jul 28th 2010, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BatterseaDan View Post
Hi imissbrit,

Thanks for your reply and advice, I'll definitely look into them! I was in centre city yesterday and stumbled upon The Elephant and Castle yesterday, looked alright but didn't have time for a beer, do you know anything about that place?

keep that heatwave coming I say, It's been a long time since I've seen the sun!
What brought me here? my wife, she's from philly and wants to be closer to her parents (we met a couple of years ago working in asia) and as I'm not a big fan of london, it didnt bother me to come here. We are In the Mt Airy/Chestnut Hill area, 20 mins out of Centre city, It's nice and pleasent, could be worse.
And you? what are you doing here? Do you like it? anywhere else I should check out? any general day to day tips?

Once again thanks for replying and enjoy.

Dan
Hey

I havent been to E&C but i heard that it's a chain and there are a few nationally. They have a website online.

I moved here permanently as i have family here and am now working and seeing for myself whether this is the right place for me, or sunny England. So far i am having a blast and learning and doing new things everyday. There are certain things about the lifestyle here that make it a much more comfortable place to live.

Check out Centre City Sips - every Wednesday during the summer a lot of bars in the City do special priced drinks and food. Great way to meet people and see the City. Participating places are shown at http://www.centercityphila.org/life/SipsPartic.php
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

cuteamericangirl is an unknown quantity at this point

hello everyone:

I live in the philly burbs as well, but alas I am American. I thought I'd pop in and say hello as my ex fiance was British