Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Ex-Brit social groups in Bay Area?

Ex-Brit social groups in Bay Area?

Old Sep 15th 2004, 6:40 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ex-Brit social groups in Bay Area?

Originally Posted by Manc
I needed a medical, but that was after they saw me for the first time, they decided it was best
Awww you look pretty cute in your pic, though it might have been concern over the whole chainsmoking baby thing

I have heard strange stories about BCG vaccinations not being recognised and testing positive for TB cos of the antibodies in your bloodstream though... any thoughts?
Old Sep 15th 2004, 6:49 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Awww you look pretty cute in your pic, though it might have been concern over the whole chainsmoking baby thing

I have heard strange stories about BCG vaccinations not being recognised and testing positive for TB cos of the antibodies in your bloodstream though... any thoughts?
I had tested positive for TB...........

most people from the UK do, due to the vaccine you get as a kid.
You will then need to go for a chest X-ray to show there is no actual TB there.

Also needed Aids test, Tetanus (Which swelled up like a blood orange on my arm)

can't remember what else.
Old Sep 15th 2004, 9:27 pm
looking for the corkscrew

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute

There is a huge Indian community in San Jose - you'll make loads of friends.
Old Sep 15th 2004, 10:01 pm
elf
Forum Regular

elf is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have a heaf test done (little needles intradermally) if you have had a BCG you will test positive. if it is grade 1-2 then that is OK 3-4(which will be very red and angry), you will have to have a chest x-ray done, which if you have an embassy medical you will have anyway. You can get false positive results with a heaf test but a chest x-ray will confirm if you are ok. Having said all that I only had mine done for my facility because I am a nurse I didnt need it for the Embassy. They do a basic medical Chest x-ray and bloods for HIV and syphilis (bummer if you are Henry VIII).
Hope that helps
Old Sep 21st 2004, 6:47 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elf
If you have a heaf test done (little needles intradermally) if you have had a BCG you will test positive. if it is grade 1-2 then that is OK 3-4(which will be very red and angry), you will have to have a chest x-ray done, which if you have an embassy medical you will have anyway. You can get false positive results with a heaf test but a chest x-ray will confirm if you are ok. Having said all that I only had mine done for my facility because I am a nurse I didnt need it for the Embassy. They do a basic medical Chest x-ray and bloods for HIV and syphilis (bummer if you are Henry VIII).
Hope that helps
Thanks for the info I intend to, ultimately, end up teaching over in CA and I believe I have to have all the tests and everything done, so I'll gird my loins for some x-rays! Do they not routinely vaccinate against TB over there?
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

John_O is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tinaflorida
Sorry, I'm in the wrong Bay area (Tampa Bay) but good luck!
So are there any Brit social groups in Tampa ? I'm up for a pint

Old Sep 23rd 2004, 5:59 pm
elf
Forum Regular

elf is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info I intend to, ultimately, end up teaching over in CA and I believe I have to have all the tests and everything done, so I'll gird my loins for some x-rays! Do they not routinely vaccinate against TB over there?
Hello Wintersong,

I looked this site up for you which is very informative.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchstp/tb/pubs/tb...ets/250120.htm

Elf
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 6:10 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Thumbs up Re: Ex-Brit social groups in Bay Area?

Originally Posted by elf
Hello Wintersong,

I looked this site up for you which is very informative.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchstp/tb/pubs/tb...ets/250120.htm

Elf
That's really great

Thanks a lot for your time!
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 6:24 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in Cal and I volunteer at our local school. I have to have a negative TB test as does everyone in the school. I haven't been asked for Hep B but the kids have to have that along with Diptheria, Tetanus, Polio, MMR and Pertussis. Pertussis isn't available in the UK, though (it's for chickenpox).
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 6:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Pertussis isn't available in the UK, though (it's for chickenpox).
Yeah, don't see the need for that one myself...just somin' you get, and over and done with isn't it...
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 7:31 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Yeah, don't see the need for that one myself...just somin' you get, and over and done with isn't it...
Mostly, but it can be quite serious. Better to have it young they say. I had mine when I was 16 and it really knocked me out. I had them everywhere (and I mean everywhere) and I was quite ill with it. My little cousin who had given it to me was outside playing with all the other pox kids in the street while I was lain up in bed for a week. The little buggers were fine.

Last edited by CaliforniaBride; Sep 23rd 2004 at 11:23 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 9:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Mostly, but it can be quite serious. Better to have it young they say. I had mine when I was 16 and it really knocked me out. I had them everywhere (and I mean everywhere) and I was quite ill with it. My little cousin who had given it to me was outside playing with all the other pox kids in the street while I was lain up in bed for a week. The little buggers where fine.
Hehe...yeah, I know about that, I had it at 5, weren't bad, had little chicken pox parties *l*
Old Sep 24th 2004, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in Cal and I volunteer at our local school. I have to have a negative TB test as does everyone in the school. I haven't been asked for Hep B but the kids have to have that along with Diptheria, Tetanus, Polio, MMR and Pertussis. Pertussis isn't available in the UK, though (it's for chickenpox).

Pertussis vaccine is for whooping cough and is available in the UK for children, who are most at risk.

As for the BCG vaccine.... If you have had it there is a possibility you can test possitive when having the heaf test, but not all people do.
Old Sep 24th 2004, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Hehe...yeah, I know about that, I had it at 5, weren't bad, had little chicken pox parties *l*

My brother got chicken pox as an adult and ended up in intensive care, with bacterial pneumonia. It can be very dangerous later in life.

The medical term for chicken pox is varicella by the way...

Typical nurse here... LOL
Old Sep 24th 2004, 10:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by honeymommy
... It can be very dangerous later in life.

The medical term for chicken pox is varicella by the way...

Typical nurse here... LOL
Yeah, I know that, somin' similar to the father inlaw...but that's why we had the parties as a kid, so we would all get it over and done with, good idea or not, don't know, but we did, couple days off school at least

and that's what varicella is...thought it was...