Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Ex-Brit social groups in Bay Area?

Ex-Brit social groups in Bay Area?

Old Sep 15th 2004, 5:35 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ex-Brit social groups in Bay Area?

Originally Posted by Bob
Good luck
Thank you

I'm going to need it - I have to sell the contents of my 2 bedroom house, while timing the sale to coincide with me no longer needing things like a bed... then I have to organise 2 weddings (one in UK, one in Calcutta) - thankfully the mothers have that well in hand, as you can imagine! Also panicking a little about the whole visa thing cos I've handed in my notice at work *gulp*

Love, huh? Who'd have it?
Old Sep 15th 2004, 5:43 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Thank you

I'm going to need it - I have to sell the contents of my 2 bedroom house, while timing the sale to coincide with me no longer needing things like a bed... then I have to organise 2 weddings (one in UK, one in Calcutta) - thankfully the mothers have that well in hand, as you can imagine! Also panicking a little about the whole visa thing cos I've handed in my notice at work *gulp*

Love, huh? Who'd have it?
ok you've gotten me quite concerned here,
you are getting married in the UK, getting a h4 visa then going straight to India, or coming to USA first then India

Once you are in USA you'll not be able to leave and re-enter the country without an I-131 Advanced Parole.
same for your hubby if all he has is a H1b Visa.

Advance Parole takes time to be processed also.
Old Sep 15th 2004, 5:48 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
ok you've gotten me quite concerned here,
you are getting married in the UK, getting a h4 visa then going straight to India, or coming to USA first then India

Once you are in USA you'll not be able to leave and re-enter the country without an I-131 Advanced Parole.
same for your hubby if all he has is a H1b Visa.

Advance Parole takes time to be processed also.
Going from the UK to India then to US with newly processed visa. He has left the country a couple of times this year with his H1b and had no problems returning. Never heard of the Advanced Parole thing!
Old Sep 15th 2004, 5:54 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Going from the UK to India then to US with newly processed visa. He has left the country a couple of times this year with his H1b and had no problems returning. Never heard of the Advanced Parole thing!
I think other people on H1b and H4 visa's need to step in here. I am just summising on what I think is correct
Old Sep 15th 2004, 5:56 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

I think other people on H1b and H4 visa's need to step in here. I am just summising on what I think is correct
Apparently (according to my fiance) he has a multiple entry H1b so he can leave and return at will. The advanced parole thing only takes effect a year before the green card is issued.
Old Sep 15th 2004, 5:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Don't have a clue about H4, not all that sure about H1B, but my mates' been travelling around all kinda places for work on his and had no probs entering either, don't think need AP...but I don't really know all the details
Old Sep 15th 2004, 6:08 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by Bob
Don't have a clue about H4, not all that sure about H1B, but my mates' been travelling around all kinda places for work on his and had no probs entering either, don't think need AP...but I don't really know all the details
maybe I'm just being over cautious.
Old Sep 15th 2004, 6:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

maybe I'm just being over cautious.
maybe, but then there's so many different H type visa's, hard to keep track
Old Sep 15th 2004, 6:11 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by Bob
maybe, but then there's so many different H type visa's, hard to keep track
where are you appliying for the H4 visa at? UK or India?
Old Sep 15th 2004, 6:13 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

where are you appliying for the H4 visa at? UK or India?
UK - at the US embassy in London, two days after the wedding. It should be stamped in my passport by 4pm the same day, assuming that I remember all the necessary documentation (they seem to have a fetish for wedding photos too, for some reason )
Old Sep 15th 2004, 6:14 pm
@matthewb76

UK - at the US embassy in London, two days after the wedding. It should be stamped in my passport by 4pm the same day, assuming that I remember all the necessary documentation (they seem to have a fetish for wedding photos too, for some reason )
Will you need a medical?
Old Sep 15th 2004, 6:16 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Will you need a medical?
Not that I'm aware of! I'm ready for them to look at my teeth and guess my age though

Last edited by Wintersong; Sep 15th 2004 at 6:37 pm. Reason: spelling error!
Old Sep 15th 2004, 6:35 pm
Spaceman Spiff

prezcalvin has a brilliant futureprezcalvin has a brilliant futureprezcalvin has a brilliant futureprezcalvin has a brilliant futureprezcalvin has a brilliant futureprezcalvin has a brilliant futureprezcalvin has a brilliant future

From what I know,

a) You can apply for your H4 immediately after your wedding.

b) I don't think Britain is one of the countries whose citizens need a medical before they get a visa. But this needs doublechecking.

c) As long as your H4 is multiple entry, you can happily leave the country and return without any trouble. When you need parole documentation is when your husband surrenders his H1B after his 485 is approved (part III of the GC process), and you guys need to leave the country between then and when the GC comes through.

There may be other issues that someone else might bring out. That's exactly the purpose of this forum, thrash out issues! I think you'll have all your answers in a few days

Not that I'm aware of! I'm ready for them to look and my teeth and guess my age though
Old Sep 15th 2004, 6:37 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by prezcalvin
b) I don't think Britain is one of the countries whose citizens need a medical before they get a visa. But this needs doublechecking.
I needed a medical, but that was after they saw me for the first time, they decided it was best
Old Sep 15th 2004, 6:40 pm
Spaceman Spiff

prezcalvin has a brilliant futureprezcalvin has a brilliant futureprezcalvin has a brilliant futureprezcalvin has a brilliant futureprezcalvin has a brilliant futureprezcalvin has a brilliant futureprezcalvin has a brilliant future

LOL Manc! Ok, then maybe we should investigate further about the medical thing.

BTW, I forgot to introduce myself when I posted last - I'm the lucky fella stealing the lovely Wintersong from her native land. Essex' loss is California's gain!

I needed a medical, but that was after they saw me for the first time, they decided it was best

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.