British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Ex-Brit social groups in Bay Area? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/ex-brit-social-groups-bay-area-254658/)

Wintersong Sep 14th 2004 7:31 pm

Ex-Brit social groups in Bay Area?

I'm moving to the US (SF Bay Area) in January - long story, but basically I met a guy, we fell in love, he lives there, I live in Essex and I drew the short straw ;)

The one thing that I am really worried about is being dependent on him for my social life - I want to have my own friends and be able to get out and about and meet people.

Are there any active groups in the area? The one thing I know I will miss (after just spending 6 weeks over there this summer) is the British accent so it would be great to be able to meet up with people and reminisce from time to time. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

mattbutt Sep 14th 2004 7:45 pm

Re: Ex-Brit social groups in Bay Area?

Originally Posted by Wintersong
I'm moving to the US (SF Bay Area) in January - long story, but basically I met a guy, we fell in love, he lives there, I live in Essex and I drew the short straw ;)

The one thing that I am really worried about is being dependent on him for my social life - I want to have my own friends and be able to get out and about and meet people.

Are there any active groups in the area? The one thing I know I will miss (after just spending 6 weeks over there this summer) is the British accent so it would be great to be able to meet up with people and reminisce from time to time. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I went on holiday to San Fran and met loads of birts living and working there.

Try this group, I know the NYC group is fairly active not sure about the SF one.

http://brit.meetup.com/92/

tinaflorida Sep 14th 2004 7:55 pm

Sorry, I'm in the wrong Bay area (Tampa Bay) but good luck!

Wintersong Sep 14th 2004 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by tinaflorida
Sorry, I'm in the wrong Bay area (Tampa Bay) but good luck!

LoL :p

Thanks for the wishes!

And thanks, Matt (butt? ;)) for the link - I've been checking it out and it looks like there are a few people looking for a social life.... should I be scared?!

mattbutt Sep 14th 2004 8:06 pm

LoL :p

Thanks for the wishes!

And thanks, Matt (butt? ;)) for the link - I've been checking it out and it looks like there are a few people looking for a social life.... should I be scared?!

I was only downtown but had a great time and came across a lot of brits, there are loads of cool bars. I cant rember the area of the top of my head but I will look it up and PM you.

The meet ups that I have been to in NYC are full of people in similar situations just looking to meet have a few drinks and make friends. All harmless and everyone I met I assure you was normal!

Wintersong Sep 14th 2004 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by mattbutt
All harmless and everyone I met I assure you was normal!

Hmmm.... wondering whether I'll fit in then :D

Can someone tell me what Karma is while I'm here? How do I get lots of it? ;)

Bob Sep 14th 2004 9:00 pm

Hmmm.... wondering whether I'll fit in then :D

Can someone tell me what Karma is while I'm here? How do I get lots of it? ;)

Search through the site feedback, loads of karma issues there, and also, in the lounge, lots of threads about karma, if you give, you shall recieve kinda deal

bored-silly Sep 15th 2004 4:39 am

Where abouts in the bay area will you be? The city or the Penninsula?

veryfunny Sep 15th 2004 4:57 am

Either way Ex-Brits or not, you will have enough to see and do. Hiking, sking,surfing,walking,working out etc. As already mentioned, there are several Brits living here, just look for the Union jack on cars.

Wintersong Sep 15th 2004 6:05 am

Originally Posted by bored-silly
Where abouts in the bay area will you be? The city or the Penninsula?

On the peninsula apparently - San Jose area.

Wintersong Sep 15th 2004 6:07 am

Originally Posted by veryfunny
Either way Ex-Brits or not, you will have enough to see and do. Hiking, sking,surfing,walking,working out etc. As already mentioned, there are several Brits living here, just look for the Union jack on cars.

LoL - I have images of myself chasing down cars with Union Jacks on them, with my tongue lolling out of the side of my head and my ears flopping up and down.

What do you do if you're a couch potato? ;)

veryfunny Sep 15th 2004 7:12 am

I guess some one has had too much caffeine. I work long hours.........Really, I think you know what I mean't.

LoL - I have images of myself chasing down cars with Union Jacks on them, with my tongue lolling out of the side of my head and my ears flopping up and down.

What do you do if you're a couch potato? ;)

Manc Sep 15th 2004 5:18 pm

with your fiance being an Indian citizen, not a US Citizen I am wondering how your immigration to live in CA has all panned out.

Wintersong Sep 15th 2004 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Manc
with your fiance being an Indian citizen, not a US Citizen I am wondering how your immigration to live in CA has all panned out.

See other thread :)

Hopefully the advice we've received has been accurate and we don't encounter any unpleasant surprises, but you never know! I'm intending to get an appointment at the consulate before the wedding so I can go over all my questions with them and double and triple check everything, but we know people who have been in the US on H1 and have had their H4 visa processed within 2 days of the wedding, so hopefully all will be well!

Bob Sep 15th 2004 5:30 pm

... but we know people who have been in the US on H1 and have had their H4 visa processed within 2 days of the wedding, so hopefully all will be well!

Good luck