British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   EVL Movers - any feedback? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/evl-movers-any-feedback-712211/)

haniya Apr 5th 2011 1:36 pm

EVL Movers - any feedback?

Me and my husband are scheduled to move to California in mid-May. We are having our things shipped (groupage shipment) in mid-April though so we don't have to wait too long for them.

We got a few different quotes and the lowest one was from European Van Lines who seemed pretty helpful and friendly too.

Before we pay for the removal and sign off on everything, just wanted to see if anyone out there has used EVL for a move to the US and any thoughts/feedback re: the company?

Thanks!

Bob Apr 5th 2011 5:29 pm

Re: EVL Movers - any feedback?

All depends on who they use on the other end, as always.

Some of the folks are awesome, some dire, so you're best off checking the scam site - http://www.movingscam.com/

hobbes79 Apr 5th 2011 5:33 pm

We were told by the guy that showed up with our stuff, that when the items come off the boat the shipments go as a bid.

So a guy will offer to take your shipment to your house for say $600 of cost to the shipper, then another guy will say he'll do it for $500. The guy saying $500 may well be the one who gets the job...

Ours turned out fine, but it's definitely luck of the drawer, as bob says.

amy77 Apr 14th 2011 5:30 am

EVL have gone into administration, as of 4th April - while our shipment to the Middle East was in transit! They were covered by the BAR/IMMI protection scheme, but we didn't have time for that to be sorted out, so we had to pay the local agents at this end the outstanding money they were owed by EVL in order to get our container released by them.

We should hopefully be able to claim it back through the BAR/IMMI scheme, so whichever company you go with, make sure they are fully protected.

haniya Apr 14th 2011 9:45 am

We found out about EVL going into liquidation the day we were going to pay them and confirm our removal date. Decided not to risk it despite their assurances that their service would be the same (under a new name IMove?). We went with AngloPacific and the crew is here packing right now and it seems to be going pretty well on this end - so fingers crossed that everything goes well on the US side as well!

amy77 Apr 14th 2011 10:41 am

That's just great to know that they're now trading under another name, but left us to pick up their sh*t because they couldn't pay the company at this end. Robbing gits.

Haniya, you had a lucky escape there I think!

Salsly May 6th 2011 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by amy77 (Post 9304190)
EVL have gone into administration, as of 4th April - while our shipment to the Middle East was in transit! They were covered by the BAR/IMMI protection scheme, but we didn't have time for that to be sorted out, so we had to pay the local agents at this end the outstanding money they were owed by EVL in order to get our container released by them.

We should hopefully be able to claim it back through the BAR/IMMI scheme, so whichever company you go with, make sure they are fully protected.

I have a consignment with EVL, fully paid for and was awating next available groupage container. Yesterday I was informed by whiteandcompany.co.uk that EVL were no longer trading and they now required me to pay them again for the shipment, provide proof that i had paid evl, and also informed me that my shipment was already on the water, due here in a few weeks. Im confused, why do i have to pay them again - does anyone know if I can get around this?

Bob May 7th 2011 1:42 am

Originally Posted by Salsly (Post 9348320)
I have a consignment with EVL, fully paid for and was awating next available groupage container. Yesterday I was informed by whiteandcompany.co.uk that EVL were no longer trading and they now required me to pay them again for the shipment, provide proof that i had paid evl, and also informed me that my shipment was already on the water, due here in a few weeks. Im confused, why do i have to pay them again - does anyone know if I can get around this?

There's a couple other threads on BE that you can search out telling you what you can do.

EVL went bump, didn't pay folks up and customers are in the creak, that's what happened.

amy77 May 7th 2011 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Salsly (Post 9348320)

You don't have to pay anyone again - we only did because we were desperate to get our container within 48 hours.

EVL were part of the IMMI scheme, which means you are fully protected.

A company called GBLiners took over all outstanding EVL deliveries, and it is them who should be handling your goods now.

Is it possible that you have been the victim of a scam here?

You need to contact BAR as soon as you can and get this sorted out. http://www.bar.co.uk/consumer/contactus/ (use the consumer affairs team contact details).