Reload this Page >

Evidence of Support

Evidence of Support

Old Feb 21st 2002, 10:24 pm
cjb
Forum Regular

cjb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Evidence of Support

My fiance in the States is just putting the finishing touches on our petition for a k-1 fiance visa, but to speed things along, i wrote off to the embassy in london and asked to be send out the forms i need to fill out. They did that and i filled them in and returned them, and i am in the process of gathering up all the stuff i need on the IV15 checklist.
The evidence of support thing has me a little confused. The I-134 in particular.
There is nothing mentioned on the instructions for this form about the sponsors income requirements like the other AOS has (the one you fill in when appyling for adjustment of status, i forget the name.)
So, i called the embassy to ask a few questions, and the person i spoke to was pretty vague, but she said that the I-134 isnt even that big of a deal, as long as I have evidence of savings (im going to have 3 or 4 grand saved up soon enough) the I-134 wont really matter that much.

So, my question is (Whew, got there in the end huh?) one, are there income requirements for the I-134 and two, if I just go to the interview with proof of the savings i will have to support myself until I can find work, will that be enough?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old Feb 21st 2002, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

Fran is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Evidence of Support

Your USC fiance has to complete an Affidavit of Support I-134 for you to take to your interview at the London Embassy to show that you can be supported when you reside in the US. Your USC's income needs to be over 125% poverty line for 2 people this is $14,512 unless your fiance resides in Alaska or Hawaii then it is more. If your US fiance cannot meet the poverty line then you will need to get a co-sponsor. Your finances as a UK citizen applying for a K1 visa are not an issue with the American Embassy, they just need to know that you are not going to become a public liability and that your fiance can support you.

Once you are married and adjust status the I-864 is the documentation that you need to take spouses finances into account and your money can come into affect then.

Hope this helps and good luck!!
Old Feb 21st 2002, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

Fran is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Evidence of Support

you didn't say what service center your fiance had filed at - would be interesting to know.

I'm also in the UK, South East London in fact, I am waiting for an interview date, we were approved on 11th February through Texas Service Center - since then have arranged wedding plans etc - if you want any info/support you can e-mail me direct at [email protected].

Good luck!!