Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Ever had your UK Degree evaluated, translated etc ?

Ever had your UK Degree evaluated, translated etc ?

Old Nov 16th 2006, 10:57 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ever had your UK Degree evaluated, translated etc ?

Originally Posted by gsnichol
Well I work at at university as a researcher and I teach. Noone has questioned the validity of my BSc or my PhD from my university back home (Newcastle)... As for the GPA I've only come across that when having to grade students and also when getting car insurace quotes...
Newcastle has a University.......???????;-)
Old Nov 16th 2006, 11:08 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
No idea. I think because I will be working with 'at risk' teens and kids with behavioural problems they want to make sure I'm kosher. Still had to pay the $100 out my own pocket though.
I also have to get police clearances and supply evidence that I have been around children before, I had to track down an old employer who's now in Australia and get her to email my interviewer.
At this rate I won't be surprised if they tell me I have to have the head of the FBI and CIA give me a full body cavity search to check there isn't a sexual predator hiding up my arse.
My friend had the same kind of job working with at risk kids...she had a police check...but never needed proof of any degree...it was the only job she could get because they would not give her a nursing job over here...
Old Nov 17th 2006, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
Newcastle has a University.......???????;-)
Why aye man! In fact there are two. But only in my dear home town of Sunderland can you actually study brewing and breweries at the university. You really do get a drinkers degree from there!
Old Nov 17th 2006, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold

Newcastle has a University
It may be an urban myth, but didn't Newcastle Polytechnic (now Northumbria University) want to change it's name to Central University of Newcastle upon Tyne

(think about it.....)
Old Nov 20th 2006, 3:09 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gsnichol
Why aye man! In fact there are two. But only in my dear home town of Sunderland can you actually study brewing and breweries at the university. You really do get a drinkers degree from there!
Well I'm from the Boro and I see that Teesside Poly is now Teesside University...
I'm not sure I really understand the compulsion to get rid of polys as the courses at Teesside University are very similar to when it was a poly. Maybe they're trying to make things sound more equal, but I think polys had their place with more work and practically oriented courses. I think the polys should have used their differences from the universities to attract students, not changed their name to make themselves sound more academic.

Right now I think the Newcastle, Sunderland and Middlesbrough schools have all been teaching courses on how to have completely crap soccer clubs as all the NE clubs are pittiful.
Old Dec 13th 2006, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

I did not need to when I got my job over here, so I do not think you really need to.

Originally Posted by Pharrya
I was thinking about getting my lowly UK bachelors degree "translated" into American by one of those companies that does such things.

I've seen posts on here before, which usually link to some of those companies, but I'm more looking for recommendations from anyone who has actually bothered to get it done.

<Dennis Norden> If you're one of those people </Dennis Norden> who have done it, which company did you go with? were they any good? would you recommend them to an anonymous stranger on a website?

Thanks....
Old Dec 13th 2006, 3:38 am
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
unless you are required to do it, it's a waste of time and money, because they would probably require you getting it done with a place that they know/use, so if you got it done yourself, you might have to get it done again by another company.

It's an unregulated field, so anyone could set up shop....give me a $100 and I'll scribble something down saying you've got a masters
Can I have one too please?