Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Ever had your UK Degree evaluated, translated etc ?

Ever had your UK Degree evaluated, translated etc ?

Old Nov 15th 2006, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

janj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Ever had your UK Degree evaluated, translated etc ?

I used wes.org back in August. It cost $150 and ended up taking two months.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pharrya
I was thinking about getting my lowly UK bachelors degree "translated" into American by one of those companies that does such things.

I've seen posts on here before, which usually link to some of those companies, but I'm more looking for recommendations from anyone who has actually bothered to get it done.

<Dennis Norden> If you're one of those people </Dennis Norden> who have done it, which company did you go with? were they any good? would you recommend them to an anonymous stranger on a website?

Thanks....
At the risk of being naive.. why would a UK degree need to be 'translated' for the States? Mine weren't.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 5:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gsnichol
At the risk of being naive.. why would a UK degree need to be 'translated' for the States? Mine weren't.
depends on what you studied...in the UK, you don't get a GPA which is what they understand, that and a bachelors takes 4 years here instead of 3 in the UK, so it might work out to being an equivalent to having a masters.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 5:40 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
depends on what you studied...in the UK, you don't get a GPA which is what they understand, that and a bachelors takes 4 years here instead of 3 in the UK, so it might work out to being an equivalent to having a masters.

I've just googled GPA.. and the first entry I got was "Gay Police Association".. every day you learn something new..

so what you say sounds like if you have a batchelors and a masters degree in the UK both combined are about the equivalent of a batchelor degree in the US?
Old Nov 15th 2006, 6:02 pm

Scarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond repute

Foreign degrees need to be translated if you want to be credentialed to teach here, which seems a reasonable requirement. If a USC came to England and wanted to teach at one of our Uni's, we'd want someone to check their degree wasn't one of those Mickey Mouse things, right?

Regards
-=-
Scarlett
Old Nov 15th 2006, 6:13 pm

Scarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anabella
so what you say sounds like if you have a batchelors and a masters degree in the UK both combined are about the equivalent of a batchelor degree in the US?
Not at all. My UK BA translates into a US bachelors.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 6:17 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scarlett-Dallas
Not at all. My UK BA translates into a US bachelors.

And am I right to think that the translation is mainly for the public sector? Or do you need a translation anyway just to work for any private company?

Excuse my ignorance..
Old Nov 15th 2006, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by anabella
And am I right to think that the translation is mainly for the public sector? Or do you need a translation anyway just to work for any private company?

Excuse my ignorance..
You need it to work in (or pursue) education and certain other professions. It varies. A lot of businesses just care that you have a degree. If you apply somewhere, they'll usually tell you on an application if they want an evaluation if your degree is not a US accredited one. If in doubt, you can always give the HR department a call. Evaluation seems scarey, but it really isn't. They just need a transcript from your Uni. and a few details.

Someone else mentioned that some places specify who to use. For example, the college where I teach had a list of approved evaluators from which to choose, but the Uni where I'm studying didn't specify, so I just sent a copy of the evaluation I'd had done for my workplace.

I think it's worth getting it done if you're job-hunting. When you pay, you can usually pay a few extra dollars to get extra copies to use with applications. I was nervous while I waited for the evaluation to be done because I had a job offer that was dependent on the outcome. It all turned out fine, though, and it took only three days.

Good luck!

Regards
-=-
Scarlett
Old Nov 15th 2006, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

Foreign degrees need to be translated if you want to be credentialed to teach here, which seems a reasonable requirement. If a USC came to England and wanted to teach at one of our Uni's, we'd want someone to check their degree wasn't one of those Mickey Mouse things, right?

Regards
-=-
Scarlett
Well I work at at university as a researcher and I teach. Noone has questioned the validity of my BSc or my PhD from my university back home (Newcastle)... As for the GPA I've only come across that when having to grade students and also when getting car insurace quotes...
Old Nov 15th 2006, 10:30 pm

Well I work at at university as a researcher and I teach. Noone has questioned the validity of my BSc or my PhD from my university back home (Newcastle)... As for the GPA I've only come across that when having to grade students and also when getting car insurace quotes...
Would that be an accredited university? All accredited universities SHOULD follow the guidelines of their accreditation bodies or they can lose their ability to award degrees.

That said, I would imagine as a researcher with a PhD you are known in your field, and a transcript evaluation would be moot at this point. It does matter for the lower and more common degrees of us proles! The accreditation of the educating bodies that employ us depends upon it! If your accreditation body is like most accreditation bodies, an audit could land the lot of you in seriously hot water unless there's some kind of exemption clause for PhDs.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold

At the risk of being naive.. why would a UK degree need to be 'translated' for the States? Mine weren't
My employer (the State of Maryland) supposdly requires one, but they'vnever actually asked for one, only proof that I have a Bachelors.

However, I was thinking of doing a Masters, and most of the places I've had a nose around look like they want something more than a piece of paper that says 2:1
Old Nov 16th 2006, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Would that be an accredited university? All accredited universities SHOULD follow the guidelines of their accreditation bodies or they can lose their ability to award degrees.

That said, I would imagine as a researcher with a PhD you are known in your field, and a transcript evaluation would be moot at this point. It does matter for the lower and more common degrees of us proles! The accreditation of the educating bodies that employ us depends upon it! If your accreditation body is like most accreditation bodies, an audit could land the lot of you in seriously hot water unless there's some kind of exemption clause for PhDs.
Well it's not something I considered. I stated on my CV where I received my degrees, and that was it. No certificates asked for, no proof or transcripts. It's possible they contacted the university directly but when you have a PhD then yes either you or your supervisor is usually well-known.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 6:59 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Well it's not something I considered. I stated on my CV where I received my degrees, and that was it. No certificates asked for, no proof or transcripts. It's possible they contacted the university directly but when you have a PhD then yes either you or your supervisor is usually well-known.
I agree, the whole wes.org thing sounds like a good way of separating people from their money.

If an employer wants to check up on you its a simple matter to find out about your university/college and then call the registrar. I wouldn't work for anyone who didn't recognise my UK degree.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 8:36 pm
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute

I used Educational Credential Evaluators http://www.ece.org/ took a bunch of time and is a rip off, but did get what i wanted.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

janj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the rough

It's something you have to do if you want to do a US master's after a UK bachelor's. (I wouldn't spend $150 unnecessarily!).The company I used has two tiers of evaluation - basically the more detailed (and more expensive) one is for further education purposes.

I went with World Educational Services. They were OK but needed more information from Nottingham Uni than the basic transcript. Hence it took two months for them to tell me my 2.1 joint hons is only a 3.19 GPA! Still, it was enough for my college here to admit me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.