Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Euros and how to get them...

Euros and how to get them...

Old Sep 6th 2005, 8:20 pm
  #1  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: The Big Apple
Posts: 1,834
Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Euros and how to get them...

going to spain this weekend for a stag do and wondered if anyone has any advice on how to best get currency.

When travelling from the UK i would use my debit card at ATMS and the credit cards as much as possible - as this used to get the best deal and rates - not sure if its as good value over here going the other way!

I am off to read my Bank of America t&cs but any advice gratefully received!!
Big D is offline  
Old Sep 6th 2005, 10:21 pm
  #2  
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 6,840
Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Euros and how to get them...

Originally Posted by Big D
going to spain this weekend for a stag do and wondered if anyone has any advice on how to best get currency.

When travelling from the UK i would use my debit card at ATMS and the credit cards as much as possible - as this used to get the best deal and rates - not sure if its as good value over here going the other way!

I am off to read my Bank of America t&cs but any advice gratefully received!!
I'd just take my ATM card to Spain - but would try to use my credit card only if strictly necessary; the card companies add on high fees for foreign transactions.

Your ATM card should be fine - I was even able to use mine in India a couple of years ago - but just take out smallish quantities in case you lose it or get mugged....(just wondering if you're going to Barcelona....bit of a dangerous place for tourists etc.)
Englishmum is offline  
Old Sep 6th 2005, 10:34 pm
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: The Big Apple
Posts: 1,834
Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Euros and how to get them...

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I'd just take my ATM card to Spain - but would try to use my credit card only if strictly necessary; the card companies add on high fees for foreign transactions.

Your ATM card should be fine - I was even able to use mine in India a couple of years ago - but just take out smallish quantities in case you lose it or get mugged....(just wondering if you're going to Barcelona....bit of a dangerous place for tourists etc.)
Thanks for the advice - that was my plan anyway! Surprised about credit cards though as UK ones are always such good value (well the ones i used were!!)
Big D is offline  
Old Sep 6th 2005, 10:49 pm
  #4  
Bob
BE Site Lead
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 91,719
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Euros and how to get them...

Originally Posted by Big D
Thanks for the advice - that was my plan anyway! Surprised about credit cards though as UK ones are always such good value (well the ones i used were!!)
you'd get charged the cash rate of interest generally over here if you used them abroad...but anyway, you considered getting travellers cheques? can use those as cash in quite a few places, and the new ones act as a debit card, buy the cheques and they load a card up that you use as a debit card, stops you getting hit for international transaction fee's...though those would obviously depend on your bank...and wouldn't have a clue about BoA, but i'd check the small print online because they have been changing stuff around lately, what with getting mbna...
Bob is offline  
Old Sep 8th 2005, 1:29 pm
  #5  
BE Enthusiast
 
jaytee's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Birmingham, USA
Posts: 802
jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Euros and how to get them...

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I'd just take my ATM card to Spain - but would try to use my credit card only if strictly necessary; the card companies add on high fees for foreign transactions.

Your ATM card should be fine - I was even able to use mine in India a couple of years ago - but just take out smallish quantities in case you lose it or get mugged....(just wondering if you're going to Barcelona....bit of a dangerous place for tourists etc.)
One of the things to think about when using ATM cards in Europe.. security is a big problem as you tend to get vagrants or youths hassling you for money after sunset if you want to use town centre ATMs.
jaytee is offline  
Old Sep 8th 2005, 3:45 pm
  #6  
Bob
BE Site Lead
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 91,719
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Euros and how to get them...

Originally Posted by jaytee
One of the things to think about when using ATM cards in Europe.. security is a big problem as you tend to get vagrants or youths hassling you for money after sunset if you want to use town centre ATMs.
oh, and let the bank know in the US that your travelling as there not use to people buggering off on holiday and might think your cards been nicked and put a stop on it
Bob is offline  
Old Sep 8th 2005, 4:03 pm
  #7  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: The Big Apple
Posts: 1,834
Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Euros and how to get them...

Originally Posted by Bob
oh, and let the bank know in the US that your travelling as there not use to people buggering off on holiday and might think your cards been nicked and put a stop on it

Good point - Barclays did that to me a couple of years back in France - for a fiver!!!

Still i have my UK cards too so i will get some cash one way or another!!

Here's to the weekend!!
Big D is offline  
Old Sep 13th 2005, 9:47 pm
  #8  
Lt Col (Retd)
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 47,684
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Euros and how to get them...

Originally Posted by Englishmum
... but would try to use my credit card only if strictly necessary; the card companies add on high fees for foreign transactions. ....
That is, I believe, an old wives' tail - yes there is a fee added to overseas transactions, but the exchange rate is at, or very close to, the wholesale exchange rate, which is likely to save more than the extra fee that gets added.

For convenience and value I'd just take my credit cards, maybe with an ATM card as back up.
Pulaski is offline  
Old Sep 13th 2005, 9:58 pm
  #9  
Sursum corda
 
cindyabs's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Richmond Hill, GA USA
Posts: 38,849
cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Euros and how to get them...

Originally Posted by Bob
you'd get charged the cash rate of interest generally over here if you used them abroad...but anyway, you considered getting travellers cheques? can use those as cash in quite a few places, and the new ones act as a debit card, buy the cheques and they load a card up that you use as a debit card, stops you getting hit for international transaction fee's...though those would obviously depend on your bank...and wouldn't have a clue about BoA, but i'd check the small print online because they have been changing stuff around lately, what with getting mbna...

In August, we had no extra charge from BOA (other than the 1.50) using the ATM in England IF we used Barclay's, otherwise 5.00 USD plus BOA 1.50 !
cindyabs is offline  
Old Sep 13th 2005, 11:02 pm
  #10  
Bob
BE Site Lead
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 91,719
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Euros and how to get them...

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That is, I believe, an old wives' tail - yes there is a fee added to overseas transactions, but the exchange rate is at, or very close to, the wholesale exchange rate, which is likely to save more than the extra fee that gets added.
depends on the card, some view foreign purchases as cash withdrawals, which incur the higher interest rate...just somin' to keep an eye out for in the small print.
Bob is offline  
Old Sep 13th 2005, 11:04 pm
  #11  
Bob
BE Site Lead
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 91,719
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Euros and how to get them...

Originally Posted by cindyabs
In August, we had no extra charge from BOA (other than the 1.50) using the ATM in England IF we used Barclay's, otherwise 5.00 USD plus BOA 1.50 !
that's not bad going....but they are changing stuff around....just be glad you ain't in china...flat interest of 27% and you don't even want to know the penalty for late payments
Bob is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.