Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

European (or UK) Electircal Appliances Working in the USA (washing machine dont work)

European (or UK) Electircal Appliances Working in the USA (washing machine dont work)

Old May 29th 2008, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

davyrowland is just really nicedavyrowland is just really nicedavyrowland is just really nicedavyrowland is just really nicedavyrowland is just really nicedavyrowland is just really nicedavyrowland is just really nicedavyrowland is just really nice
Question European (or UK) Electircal Appliances Working in the USA (washing machine dont work)

Hi,

I moved over to the US a year ago, brought my TV, Sterio, Kettle, Microwave etc with me, and bought a few inexpensive transformers to allow my 240V appliances to run on the US 110v system

Everything works ok provided the transformer you buy has sufficient Watts to power the appliances.

My washing machine however, that we only just tried to get working as we moved into an appartment without one, just doesnt work. It runs at 2100W, and I have a 3000W transformer, but it reports an error.

Is there something specail about washing machines?
Old May 29th 2008, 5:43 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: European (or UK) Electircal Appliances Working in the USA (washing machine dont w

Originally Posted by davyrowland
Hi,

I moved over to the US a year ago, brought my TV, Sterio, Kettle, Microwave etc with me, and bought a few inexpensive transformers to allow my 240V appliances to run on the US 110v system

Everything works ok provided the transformer you buy has sufficient Watts to power the appliances.

My washing machine however, that we only just tried to get working as we moved into an appartment without one, just doesnt work. It runs at 2100W, and I have a 3000W transformer, but it reports an error.

Is there something specail about washing machines?
3000 W on a 110V system would draw nearly 30 amps! Not a hope in hell on a standard domestic wiring -- you'd blow the bloody box. I really don't know what you were thinking! Forget it and buy a US washer.
Old May 29th 2008, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

davyrowland is just really nicedavyrowland is just really nicedavyrowland is just really nicedavyrowland is just really nicedavyrowland is just really nicedavyrowland is just really nicedavyrowland is just really nicedavyrowland is just really nice
Default Re: European (or UK) Electircal Appliances Working in the USA (washing machine dont w

Originally Posted by fatbrit
3000 W on a 110V system would draw nearly 30 amps! Not a hope in hell on a standard domestic wiring -- you'd blow the bloody box. I really don't know what you were thinking! Forget it and buy a US washer.
well, the washer runs at 2100W, so its not quite so bad.

Im all for buying a new washer, its just that it was a wedding present from my wife parents, so she didnt want to get rid of it.

Tks for advice though
Old May 29th 2008, 5:58 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Don't some washer 'rooms' have 220v outlets and wiring? Could it work if you had a 220v setup in your wash room?
Old May 29th 2008, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Don't some washer 'rooms' have 220v outlets and wiring? Could it work if you had a 220v setup in your wash room?
We do have a big black 3 prong plug socket in the washing room. We just bough a tumble dryer though, and it came with a big fat black plug that needs to be wired into the dryer... I presume the dryer takes this socket. Is that the 240V outlet you are refering to?
Old May 29th 2008, 6:30 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
The 220 is in reality 2 x 110, half a cycle out of phase.
Old May 29th 2008, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

One of my mates also mentioned that the Hz on the US system are different from UK & Europe, and so a transformer alone would not be enough for something like a washing machine.

Fatbrit... you sound like you know what you are talking about. You think the only solution is to buy a US Washing machine?

Cheers, Davy
Old May 29th 2008, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

More importantly this means that both sides of a US 220 volt domestic supply are nominally 110 volts from ground, and equipment that uses this type of supply should use double pole switches to isolate it from both sides of the supply when it is turned off.

I would not advise connecting a 240 volt UK appliance to a US 220 volt supply unless you really know what you are doing.

I am afraid that, because he had to ask in the first place, the original poster does not fall into that category and therefore should not attempt this.
Old May 29th 2008, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by md95065
More importantly this means that both sides of a US 220 volt domestic supply are nominally 110 volts from ground, and equipment that uses this type of supply should use double pole switches to isolate it from both sides of the supply when it is turned off.

I would not advise connecting a 240 volt UK appliance to a US 220 volt supply unless you really know what you are doing.

I am afraid that, because he had to ask in the first place, the original poster does not fall into that category and therefore should not attempt this.
I'll take your advice.... Im not an electrician and dont want to wreck my house or my body... so wont connect something like this up.

Thanks, Davy
Old May 29th 2008, 7:50 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by davyrowland
One of my mates also mentioned that the Hz on the US system are different from UK & Europe, and so a transformer alone would not be enough for something like a washing machine.

Fatbrit... you sound like you know what you are talking about. You think the only solution is to buy a US Washing machine?

Cheers, Davy
The 10 HZ difference in the frequency of the AC will probably not be a catastrophe but will cause things such as AC motors to run less efficiently. With some clever wiring and an expensive transformer, you could get it to work. But it ISN'T worth it. Dump it and buy a US model.