Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

European electrical goods

European electrical goods

Old Aug 5th 2015, 2:15 pm
WJS
Forum Regular

WJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: European electrical goods

Thank you so much Wookie that is very helpful albeit disappointing about the TV'S.

Jericho I agree, I really mainly wanted to bring the TV's it is my husband that wants to bring a few other things. Will definitely be having a rethink.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WJS
Thank you so much Wookie that is very helpful albeit disappointing about the TV'S.

Jericho I agree, I really mainly wanted to bring the TV's it is my husband that wants to bring a few other things. Will definitely be having a rethink.
Something else to consider, but a lot of people in north america are "cutting the cable". ie. cancelling their cable subscription, and relying on services like netflix, amazon, hulu, HBO go. We cancelled our TV service about 4 years ago, and have never looked back. We still watch the same programs we used to, but we get them over the internet. It's much cheaper, doesnt have commercials every 30 seconds, and you can watch on demand.
If something like this appeals, you'd be able to use your TV without any problems.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 2:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat085 is an unknown quantity at this point

Jericho 79 vacuum cleaners and hair driers are OK and even clothes dryers all that would be needed is to change the plugs for the correct ones in the USA as said previously it is not difficult just a basic understanding of the electrical system is all that is required for safety. if anyone wants to know more I would gladly advise them. as I said in an earlier statement I have brought and successfully used these items without any safety issues at all.I suggest where possible take it with you and use it to get you through the first couple of years so as not to buy everything at once, as you will be paying for all kinds of things that you never thought of.and the time it takes to settle in to your new lifestyle trust me it will not be as easy as you would think so it does make sense to bring most of you things if still in good shape.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 2:38 pm
Account Closed

please do remember the old fashioned of the air TV antenna system is digital and going strong and its free no license needed just an antenna. do not bring satellite or cable TV items as they do not work here.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 2:46 pm
WJS
Forum Regular

WJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond repute

That is very good to know Wookie.

Jericho79, I have never thought of that, not very familiar with Netflix, Amazon ect.. so will have to look into it. I know I will miss UK TV, would love to be able to get it with satellite like we do here in France but know it isn't possible there.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 2:47 pm
Account Closed

WJS if you really would like to bring your TV then may I suggest that you do a search on the internet for a converter box it will convert the signals to the ones that your TV will recognise also read the manual for your TV or speak to a good TV repair man and find out if yours is capable of working on ntsc as some do if they are newer its worth checking just in case.but do look for the converter box as well.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 2:49 pm
WJS
Forum Regular

Thank you Wookie for the information. I will call Samsung to find out.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 2:53 pm
Account Closed

some of the off air programmes are carrying some of the English stuff but you can subscribe to the various internet sites that supply just about all of the channels from all over the world. just a thought?
Old Aug 5th 2015, 2:57 pm
Account Closed

your welcome just ask any questions and I will do my best to answer them.
I will not steer you wrong if i do not know the answer I will say so and then look it up for you and get back to you with the correct answer.i have been here for 18 plus years now and have a lot of knowledge and experience both here and the UK and Europe too.allways happy to help.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 3:03 pm
WJS
Forum Regular

That is very kind of you Wookie, thank you. Will definitely be looking into the off air programmes!
Old Aug 5th 2015, 5:14 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wookie
WJS if you really would like to bring your TV then may I suggest that you do a search on the internet for a converter box it will convert the signals to the ones that your TV will recognise also read the manual for your TV or speak to a good TV repair man and find out if yours is capable of working on ntsc as some do if they are newer its worth checking just in case.but do look for the converter box as well.
Most modern LCD/ LED//plasma TVs support all known TV standards. If yours doesn't, its probably worth less than the converter box.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 5:32 pm
WJS
Forum Regular

I will try to call Samsung to find out, have visitors coming tomorrow so will try to call next week. I just looked at the bill and they are not quite 18 months old and were quite expensive here in France so would be great if we could take them.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 5:33 pm
Account Closed

the worth of an item that is considered by the age and the level of reliability it has given and therefore it becomes more valuable than the actual cost in money. so it becomes the responsibility to ponder the value to themselves (more like a family heirloom)?
Old Aug 5th 2015, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

goatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nice

Originally Posted by WJS
I will try to call Samsung to find out, have visitors coming tomorrow so will try to call next week. I just looked at the bill and they are not quite 18 months old and were quite expensive here in France so would be great if we could take them.
I have moved 3 Samsung TV's I purchased in the UK and have had no problems using it with my cable provider in the US (Verizon FIOS) over the past 3 years.

All of the TV's are marked as 120/220V 50/60Hz on the back. I just replaced the "kettle cable" with a US one. I operate them all via HDMI or Component feeds from the Verizon Box.

So check the back of the TV - If it has 120/220V 50/60Hz then they will work on US power. If you plan to use Free to Air TV in the US rather than Cable via HDMI / Composite then you will have a problem (The tuners in the UK ones are freeview and are very different to the US Standards).

Also check whether it supports NTSC / PAL - all of mine do. Model number for one is LE46C650. Check the back of the manual - it will list what it supports on the colour / video system and also on the HDMI inputs (mine switches between 1080i / 720i depending on the channel)

From what I recall the Samsung LCD tv's came with multi-voltage as standard but the LED ones didn't - but that was over 5 years ago now.

All my other British appliances are in a box in the basement for the next relocation back to UK (if it ever happens). Henry Vacuum wouldn't work well here - same on the hairdryers.

Last edited by goatherder; Aug 5th 2015 at 6:17 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

goatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nice

Additionally info - my UK TV is marked as HD Ready - that apparently means that the TV supports both 50Hz and 60Hz refresh rates (for video - not electric) for 1080i and 720p via HDMI or DVI. This may explain why a UK TV will work in the US but the reverse may not be true.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.