British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   European appliances in the US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/european-appliances-us-751383/)

SaulProvider Mar 12th 2012 3:12 pm

European appliances in the US

Hello,

Would European appliances (220V 60Hz) such as vacuum cleaner, etc. work in the US?

Thanks!

avanutria Mar 12th 2012 3:20 pm

Re: European appliances in the US

Only if they are marked as handling between 110v and 220v (roughly) and you also get an adaptor plug for them since the socket shape is different. Not sure if the bags etc are the same.

Things like laptops and hairdryers are often dual voltage. Vacuum cleaners, not so much.

MadRad Mar 12th 2012 3:22 pm

It depends. Some appliances will work with a transformer. We also brought our Dyson over as you can change some parts to make it work. I also have a trusty 30 year old Kenwood Chef which works beautifully.

Some small appliances are relatively cheap over here, but the big things, such as ovens, fridge etc are not.

SaulProvider Mar 12th 2012 3:31 pm

Great, many thanks! i will check the labels to see if they say 110-220V.

SultanOfSwing Mar 12th 2012 3:37 pm

They'll work, but you will have to buy a step-up transformer with a UK plug socket on it in order to make them work. I do that with my guitar amp so I wouldn't have to buy a new one out here and have to get used to a whole new sound again. The transformer only cost me $30.00.

However a new amp is $800.00, things like hoovers and hairdryers, TVs, DVD players and the like are so cheap here you're better off buying here and saving on the shipping. Most houses will have fridges and cookers in them anyway.

jemima55 Mar 12th 2012 4:17 pm

My UK Roberts radio works with just an adaptor!

SultanOfSwing Mar 12th 2012 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by jemima55 (Post 9948719)
My UK Roberts radio works with just an adaptor!

Some low-drain devices will work with a travel adaptor and obviously computers with dual voltage power supplies will work with the correct kettle lead and the flick of a switch.

It's not recommended to run bigger appliances or high-drain devices without a transformer though.

Bob Mar 12th 2012 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 9948727)

It's not recommended to run bigger appliances or high-drain devices without a transformer though.

And even then, might not be worth it, as high wattage ones tend to be pricey and huge as well as putting out heat. For the occasional use things they aren't so bad, but not so worth it for things like teles. Also something that could potentially void home insurance as a fire risk, so worth checking.

Cost of shipping v replacement though, it'll hardly ever be worth it unless it's brand spanking new or really high end gear.

SultanOfSwing Mar 12th 2012 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9948817)
And even then, might not be worth it, as high wattage ones tend to be pricey and huge as well as putting out heat. For the occasional use things they aren't so bad, but not so worth it for things like teles. Also something that could potentially void home insurance as a fire risk, so worth checking.

Cost of shipping v replacement though, it'll hardly ever be worth it unless it's brand spanking new or really high end gear.

Not with TVs and that being so cheap out here.

I use mine for an amp - so I didn't have to spend $800.00 - $1,000.00 on a new one :eek:! They're expensive wherever you go and since I only ever use the big amp at gigs and headphones from a US bought mixer at home, I only use it maybe three or four times a month.

All my consumer electronics got donated to me ma, or sold. No point bringing them out really.

Uncle Ebenezer Mar 12th 2012 5:15 pm

Don't take any notice of any of these wussies - what's life, without a little risk? Just get an adaptor and plug them all in. What's the worst that could happen?

Mummy in the foothills Mar 12th 2012 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer (Post 9948843)
Don't take any notice of any of these wussies - what's life, without a little risk? Just get an adaptor and plug them all in. What's the worst that could happen?

You'd let the smoke out and then it won't work at all.

SultanOfSwing Mar 12th 2012 5:53 pm

Bring out a 4-gang, bung a travel adaptor on the end and plug all your favourite appliances in.

Post results on YouTube ...

Leslie Mar 12th 2012 5:56 pm

http://www.ars.usda.gov/sp2userfiles...ctric-Save.jpg

rpjs Mar 12th 2012 6:09 pm

This may not be the worst, but it made me realise you can't p*ss about with American electrics:

https://fbcdn-photos-a.akamaihd.net/...31336530_a.jpg

That's just from plugging a space heater into an extension cord that wasn't rated for it...

sir_eccles Mar 12th 2012 6:10 pm

didn't someone in another thread take the US 2 phase supply and wire up a set of UK plugs?