Reload this Page >

European appliances in the US

European appliances in the US

Old Mar 12th 2012, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

SaulProvider is an unknown quantity at this point
Question European appliances in the US

Hello,

Would European appliances (220V 60Hz) such as vacuum cleaner, etc. work in the US?

Thanks!
Old Mar 12th 2012, 3:20 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: European appliances in the US

Only if they are marked as handling between 110v and 220v (roughly) and you also get an adaptor plug for them since the socket shape is different. Not sure if the bags etc are the same.

Things like laptops and hairdryers are often dual voltage. Vacuum cleaners, not so much.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute

It depends. Some appliances will work with a transformer. We also brought our Dyson over as you can change some parts to make it work. I also have a trusty 30 year old Kenwood Chef which works beautifully.

Some small appliances are relatively cheap over here, but the big things, such as ovens, fridge etc are not.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

SaulProvider is an unknown quantity at this point

Great, many thanks! i will check the labels to see if they say 110-220V.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 3:37 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

They'll work, but you will have to buy a step-up transformer with a UK plug socket on it in order to make them work. I do that with my guitar amp so I wouldn't have to buy a new one out here and have to get used to a whole new sound again. The transformer only cost me $30.00.

However a new amp is $800.00, things like hoovers and hairdryers, TVs, DVD players and the like are so cheap here you're better off buying here and saving on the shipping. Most houses will have fridges and cookers in them anyway.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

My UK Roberts radio works with just an adaptor!
Old Mar 12th 2012, 4:22 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jemima55
My UK Roberts radio works with just an adaptor!
Some low-drain devices will work with a travel adaptor and obviously computers with dual voltage power supplies will work with the correct kettle lead and the flick of a switch.

It's not recommended to run bigger appliances or high-drain devices without a transformer though.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 5:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing

It's not recommended to run bigger appliances or high-drain devices without a transformer though.
And even then, might not be worth it, as high wattage ones tend to be pricey and huge as well as putting out heat. For the occasional use things they aren't so bad, but not so worth it for things like teles. Also something that could potentially void home insurance as a fire risk, so worth checking.

Cost of shipping v replacement though, it'll hardly ever be worth it unless it's brand spanking new or really high end gear.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 5:08 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Bob
And even then, might not be worth it, as high wattage ones tend to be pricey and huge as well as putting out heat. For the occasional use things they aren't so bad, but not so worth it for things like teles. Also something that could potentially void home insurance as a fire risk, so worth checking.

Cost of shipping v replacement though, it'll hardly ever be worth it unless it's brand spanking new or really high end gear.
Not with TVs and that being so cheap out here.

I use mine for an amp - so I didn't have to spend $800.00 - $1,000.00 on a new one ! They're expensive wherever you go and since I only ever use the big amp at gigs and headphones from a US bought mixer at home, I only use it maybe three or four times a month.

All my consumer electronics got donated to me ma, or sold. No point bringing them out really.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 5:15 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Don't take any notice of any of these wussies - what's life, without a little risk? Just get an adaptor and plug them all in. What's the worst that could happen?
Old Mar 12th 2012, 5:21 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
Don't take any notice of any of these wussies - what's life, without a little risk? Just get an adaptor and plug them all in. What's the worst that could happen?
You'd let the smoke out and then it won't work at all.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 5:53 pm
I have a comma problem

Bring out a 4-gang, bung a travel adaptor on the end and plug all your favourite appliances in.

Post results on YouTube ...
Old Mar 12th 2012, 5:56 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Old Mar 12th 2012, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

This may not be the worst, but it made me realise you can't p*ss about with American electrics:

That's just from plugging a space heater into an extension cord that wasn't rated for it...
Old Mar 12th 2012, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

didn't someone in another thread take the US 2 phase supply and wire up a set of UK plugs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.