Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

IS EUROPE MORE RACIST THAN AMERICA?

IS EUROPE MORE RACIST THAN AMERICA?

Old Sep 20th 2007, 1:18 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IS EUROPE MORE RACIST THAN AMERICA?

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
More common is the use of the so-called "N-word". I hear the word "Nigger" used casually in normal conversations.
I've lived here for 30 of my 34 years and never heard anyone say that word with a straight face. Ever. May be a regional thing, Florida is known as a fairly racist place (so is Illinois, for that matter).
Old Sep 20th 2007, 1:21 pm
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Maore

"I do agree with you about the US being more progressive in terms of professionaL advancement to coloured people compared to the rest of the world."

Isn't the best form of ethnic acceptance down to respect and the valuing of a person's humanity and ability? I think alot of people would rather be respected than liked.Sound like you believe people of colour are more respected in the States but more liked in Europe?
Old Sep 20th 2007, 1:47 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

There was a survey I saw a couple or three years ago which showed that Fort Myers, FL, is physically the most segregated city in the country. i.e. there is very little racial mixing so far as housing goes.

Apart from the racial epithets, however, I see no segregation or intolerance in the workplace.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 1:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Everyone's racist here, White people, Black people, "Hispanic people".. Mexicans..
And the only people hung up about their racism is White Americans.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 2:02 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
Do the BNP and GOP have the same supporters?There are many Asian,Black and Hispanic people who register as Republicans.I believe the BNP party are for the most part against minorities and immigrants.Do you agree?
There are lots of folks who register with the party they don't support to have influence in the primaries. Being registered means diddly squat.

The backbone of the GOP is the ruling white power elite. They pick up the white trash vote because these people want to be associated with that grouping. Lost count of the number of white working class Americans who've told me they couldn't possibly vote for the Dems because thats the n*****'s party! So no, the GOP and BNP aren't directly the same since--the BNP certainly does not represent the ruling elite in the UK. But they share a similar core supporter base in some respects.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 2:04 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Lost count of the number of white working class Americans who've told me they couldn't possibly vote for the Dems because thats the n*****'s party!
I have to say, that's really surprising to me. Shocking, even.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 2:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
There are lots of folks who register with the party they don't support to have influence in the primaries. Being registered means diddly squat.

The backbone of the GOP is the ruling white power elite. They pick up the white trash vote because these people want to be associated with that grouping. Lost count of the number of white working class Americans who've told me they couldn't possibly vote for the Dems because thats the n*****'s party! So no, the GOP and BNP aren't directly the same since--the BNP certainly does not represent the ruling elite in the UK. But they share a similar core supporter base in some respects.
There's lots of Latinos down here voting for the GOP, but most of them are Cuban.. and for all intents and purposes they're White Americans.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

maore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud of

Maore

"I do agree with you about the US being more progressive in terms of professionaL advancement to coloured people compared to the rest of the world."

Isn't the best form of ethnic acceptance down to respect and the valuing of a person's humanity and ability? I think alot of people would rather be respected than liked.Sound like you believe people of colour are more respected in the States but more liked in Europe?
not sure if this will answer your question: the professional advancement achieved in the US is not all down to the willingness of the majority to accept/respect minorities. Me think it is down to a few who fought for legislations which will protect and promote effectively minorities in the corporate world (such as positive discrimination , etc..).

For me ethnic acceptance is to be able to accept someone of a different culture inside your own family . Working with someone from a different culture because there is a legislation forcing it down your throat is not a sign of acceptance .

I am not saying minorities are liked in the UK - I am just saying ethnicity is not the main cleavage people differentiate between each others , more important are religion / social standing / the football team you support /the kind of beer you like /etc...

Is the UK more racist than the USA ? I have no idea , I just feel more comfortable living in a society where I do not define myself by the colour of my skin. Depending on what you want to achieve in life then one country would be more attractive than another . If you are looking for breaking corporate glass-ceiling go for the USA , if you want to be able to discover/mix different cultures in an open minded society the UK look more attractive in this sense.

By the way the rest of Europe is just nightmarish if you are a coloured person, I have lived in two countries in my life and there are no other place like the UK :
+ France , it is just this new generation who start to mingle between different ethnies and break into professional position.

+ Netherlands , the traditional tolerance is B******* - the average dutch think his country is under siege with hordes of barabarians trying to invade it. They are more tolerant towards religion and sex than towards racial/cultural differences.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 2:29 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Europe is more racist than most Americans *realise* -- but it's also more racially diverse than we realise, too.

Just as in America there are areas of high racial tension and areas without. While I believe a higher tolerance for dissent allows the BNP to operate, openmindedness helps keep racism, at least overt racism, lower in Europe.
Well we don't seem to be bother by gingers though.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 3:07 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Racism exists everywhere. That's my brilliant and insightful comment of the day. We can all go to bed now.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 3:57 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
And the only people hung up about their racism is White Americans.
Exactly, this morning I heard it reported that Jesse Jackson said that Barack Obama was acting like he's white (in a comment related to the Jena cases). If that isn't racist I don't know what is.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

maore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by neil
Exactly, this morning I heard it reported that Jesse Jackson said that Barack Obama was acting like he's white (in a comment related to the Jena cases). If that isn't racist I don't know what is.
we can agree it was a silly comment from an hopeless politician , it does not sound like a racist comment to me (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism)
Old Sep 20th 2007, 4:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by maore
we can agree it was a silly comment from an hopeless politician , it does not sound like a racist comment to me (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism)
Not necessarily racist, but one thing I've noticed over here is "Americans" can inject race issues into anything and everything.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by neil
Last year there was an item on the radio about people only spending money in shops owned by their own race - just for one day - to illustrate the buying power of minorities.

I thought that's one of the most pointless thing I've heard; how does anyone know who actually owns the shop?! Not only that, but a bunch of "Latinos" called up saying they didn't want to spend their money in "White" shops however over half of Miami-Dade is "White Latino"

Then they say it's not racism, but they're still happy to tell their daughters not to come home with a Black guy (and yes, they will tell them this infront of me). That's what I mean about only White Americans being hung up about racism, 'cause everyone else is and no one seems to care.

I just don't understand at all! Sometimes I feel I live in the twighlight zone.

Last edited by anotherlimey; Sep 20th 2007 at 4:34 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 5:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

What does that say about ethnic diversity and it's acceptance by Europeans? Do you see mix ethnic couples in Europe as often as you would here in America?...
Europes pretty large and broad covering of people there, bit like the US....where I am, I don't see as much ethnic mixing, but if I was else where I probably would, whilst the opposite was true for where I lived in England.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.