Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

IS EUROPE MORE RACIST THAN AMERICA?

IS EUROPE MORE RACIST THAN AMERICA?

Old Oct 4th 2007, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IS EUROPE MORE RACIST THAN AMERICA?

There is only one Ray!

Originally Posted by Ray
But we got arrested and was in a cell for an hour ...
But got a decent coffee and sandwich ...for a snack ...
Old Oct 4th 2007, 9:05 pm
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
What worries me is that anyone thinks it's much different in the US.

You want racist police, you got them.
You want racist shopkeepers, you got them.
You want racist landlords, you got them.
You want racist homeowners associations, you got them.
You want racist employers, you got them.

It's the same everywhere. I don't know why anyone would think Federal laws have helped, half the country is still living in the 50s when it comes to civil rights or equal opportunities.
I strongly disagree.Yes there is racism in America tons of it but the LAWS help a great deal to scare bigots into proper behavior in hiring practises.Make a ignorant comment that is racially charged on your job and you better be under a doctor's care to explain your crazy behavior other wise you or the company will pay a serious price.Why do you think so many " certain people" complain about being forced to follow governmental guidelines in terms of fair hiring practises? Affirmative Action works and it does so beautifully!! Minorities in Europe wish they had America's hate crime laws to protect them.

Not most whites of course, but there are many who pine for the old days when there were few penalties for hatefull behavior directed toward others.I've been bless to have live from a time in America when hatefull behavior was just accepted because that was how you handled it to our current situation.Those days are gone for ever!! In America minorities have great power including deciding political elections.Minorities in America feel fully enguaged into the decisions made from local to national leaders. How could they not?After all, the federal census agency estimates that by 2050 minorities will make up 50% of the total American population.Whats not to like about those numbers? California allready has a majority population of Latinos,blacks and asians, I think everyone should be able to embrace one another.Looking at those facts can you really say there is no difference to the power of minorities in America compared to the UK?
Old Oct 4th 2007, 9:08 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
California allready has a majority population of Latinos,blacks and asians, I think everyone should be able to embrace one another.Looking at those facts can you really say there is no difference to the power of minorities in America compared to the UK?
To clarify, a majority of Latinos, Blacks and Asians when combined as one group, that is not to say these groups are totally harmonious with eaachother.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I strongly disagree.Yes there is racism in America tons of it but the LAWS help a great deal to scare bigots into proper behavior in hiring practises.Make a ignorant comment that is racially charged on your job and you better be under a doctor's care to explain your crazy behavior other wise you or the company will pay a serious price.Why do you think so many " certain people" complain about being forced to follow governmental guidelines in terms of fair hiring practises? Affirmative Action works and it does so beautifully!! Minorities in Europe wish they had America's hate crime laws to protect them.

Not most whites of course, but there are many who pine for the old days when there were few penalties for hatefull behavior directed toward others.I've been bless to have live from a time in America when hatefull behavior was just accepted because that was how you handled it to our current situation.Those days are gone for ever!! In America minorities have great power including deciding political elections.Minorities in America feel fully enguaged into the decisions made from local to national leaders. How could they not?After all, the federal census agency estimates that by 2050 minorities will make up 50% of the total American population.Whats not to like about those numbers? California allready has a majority population of Latinos,blacks and asians, I think everyone should be able to embrace one another.Looking at those facts can you really say there is no difference to the power of minorities in America compared to the UK?
I disagree with your disagreement! The laws work fine when people are reported and there are witnesses, but too many times it's one person's word vs. another's and then nothing gets done, or an employee who may have witnessed it but doesn't want to speak out fearing for their own job.

My own mother-in-law used to work for a "Jewish-American" who called her names for being Latino, she didn't sue using the laws - she had no witnesses.

In the UK these laws don't always work for the same reasons.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 9:19 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by veryfunny
There is only one Ray!
Too damn right ..my stomach needed filling ...
Old Oct 4th 2007, 11:28 pm
Banned

YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree with your disagreement! The laws work fine when people are reported and there are witnesses, but too many times it's one person's word vs. another's and then nothing gets done, or an employee who may have witnessed it but doesn't want to speak out fearing for their own job.

My own mother-in-law used to work for a "Jewish-American" who called her names for being Latino, she didn't sue using the laws - she had no witnesses.

In the UK these laws don't always work for the same reasons.
I'm sorry to hear of the treatment your mother-inlaw suffered.I also agree no law can cover every situation.I love america and I care about our society's health.I believe these laws do bring us all together in the long run.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 11:34 pm
Banned

America has allready had its first African American president=Bill Clinton
Old Oct 5th 2007, 1:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry to hear of the treatment your mother-inlaw suffered.I also agree no law can cover every situation.I love america and I care about our society's health.I believe these laws do bring us all together in the long run.
It's a shame we even have to have these laws. Sometimes I think these laws are fighting the symptoms of deep rooted problem rather than tackling the causes of the problem (whether it's the US or the UK), i.e. racism causes the discrimination, and with the finite amount of money we have to fight it we'd be better off pumping it into educating our kids about it. We can't legislate against how people think, but we can teach our children to think differently.

Alternatively, we can just breed it out! Hey, I'm doing my part already.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

I wish we had just one president for all decent folks. Clinton, did a lot for blacks but the current one just does not seem to care, not just about blacks but the under privileged in general.

The so called compassionate conservative president.

America has allready had its first African American president=Bill Clinton
Old Oct 5th 2007, 11:01 am
Just Joined

DMKH is a name known to allDMKH is a name known to allDMKH is a name known to allDMKH is a name known to allDMKH is a name known to allDMKH is a name known to allDMKH is a name known to allDMKH is a name known to allDMKH is a name known to allDMKH is a name known to allDMKH is a name known to all

Imagine for a moment you were a dyed-in-the-wool actively racist person. Where would you be better able to practice your 'craft' if you were say
1. a teacher
2. a policeman
3. a judge
4. a recruitment officer
5. a card-carrying member of a white supremacist party
6. a 5th grader
7. a suburban housewife
8. a restuarant owner

Europe or the US?
Old Oct 5th 2007, 11:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DMKH
Imagine for a moment you were a dyed-in-the-wool actively racist person. Where would you be better able to practice your 'craft' if you were say
1. a teacher
2. a policeman
3. a judge
4. a recruitment officer
5. a card-carrying member of a white supremacist party
6. a 5th grader
7. a suburban housewife
8. a restuarant owner

Europe or the US?
In some parts of the US, it's probably worse than in Europe, but in other parts it would be a lot harder.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 11:46 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

It's a shame we even have to have these laws. Sometimes I think these laws are fighting the symptoms of deep rooted problem rather than tackling the causes of the problem (whether it's the US or the UK), i.e. racism causes the discrimination, and with the finite amount of money we have to fight it we'd be better off pumping it into educating our kids about it. We can't legislate against how people think, but we can teach our children to think differently.

Alternatively, we can just breed it out! Hey, I'm doing my part already.

You have raised an excellent point, kids are great when they are small and just love each other regardless of race, its when they get older and brainwashed by adults that the problems start.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 11:51 am
Just Joined

DMKH is a name known to allDMKH is a name known to allDMKH is a name known to allDMKH is a name known to allDMKH is a name known to allDMKH is a name known to allDMKH is a name known to allDMKH is a name known to allDMKH is a name known to allDMKH is a name known to allDMKH is a name known to all

sorry anotherlimey, I didn't quite get your answer. i'm asking you to imagine where you could operate as a Racist easier, Europe or the US
Old Oct 5th 2007, 12:20 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DMKH
sorry anotherlimey, I didn't quite get your answer. i'm asking you to imagine where you could operate as a Racist easier, Europe or the US
How would he know that ....
unanswerable question...like asking me what country is best to make
a chicken pie ....
Old Oct 5th 2007, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
How would he know that ....
unanswerable question...like asking me what country is best to make
a chicken pie ....
Well we've had many accounts of how people felt discriminated against on this thread on the basis of race. Flip the coin, take those stories and imagine that you were the perpetrator. From that perspective, imagine where you'd be more likely to get away with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.