Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

EU to USA drivers licence change over ?

EU to USA drivers licence change over ?

Old Mar 31st 2011, 4:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EU to USA drivers licence change over ?

Originally Posted by rallybug
Huh, I wonder why France, Canada and Germany get a pass?

reciprocal agreement, US citizens can swap a license over in those countries, so they can here....the US used to with the UK but not for many years.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 7:56 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
reciprocal agreement, US citizens can swap a license over in those countries, so they can here....the US used to with the UK but not for many years.
I still think they can in DC no?
Old Apr 1st 2011, 8:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
I still think they can in DC no?
I don't know about DC, diplomats probably....but there is one state, can't remember which one it was, Ohio? Indiana? Somewhere pretty random anyway.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 9:31 pm
Honorary Texan

tom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by flynno37
Hello,

To the person who took the Texas driver's license written and practical test, can you tell me what you had to do?

I'm moving to Dallas next week. I'm considering a rent -to-own deal for a car. Whilst I understand I can do this with a U.K. licence I hear I can't get insurance etc without a Texas license.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
John
This is all really dependent on the purpose of your moving to Dallas and what visa you have. I think the most important things for obtaining insurance are actually a Social Security number and a residence. Are you moving permanently to Dallas? OR is this a work visa? Either way, if you have a social and a dwelling, those are the main things. I think you can drive on your UK license for a year before needing a Texas license. But you need to have some kind of long-term legal residence established (like a green card or work visa) to apply for a Texas license. I think your insurance rate will just be very high since they can't track your driving record or your credit. My situation was made easier because I have joint insurance with my American wife (already established credit).

I think if you are able to, get a Texas license. Its so, so easy and I got mine all in one day.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom_1984
This is all really dependent on the purpose of your moving to Dallas and what visa you have. I think the most important things for obtaining insurance are actually a Social Security number and a residence. Are you moving permanently to Dallas? OR is this a work visa? Either way, if you have a social and a dwelling, those are the main things. I think you can drive on your UK license for a year before needing a Texas license. But you need to have some kind of long-term legal residence established (like a green card or work visa) to apply for a Texas license. I think your insurance rate will just be very high since they can't track your driving record or your credit. My situation was made easier because I have joint insurance with my American wife (already established credit).

I think if you are able to, get a Texas license. Its so, so easy and I got mine all in one day.
Without looking it up on the DMV web site again, I'm pretty sure, if you are resident (and this means living, not the immigrant term of resident) in TX you only have 90days to get your license.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

lonestargirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lisa67
Without looking it up on the DMV web site again, I'm pretty sure, if you are resident (and this means living, not the immigrant term of resident) in TX you only have 90days to get your license.
90 days if you move from another state, 1 year if you come from another country (although your insurance company may insist on you taking the test within 90 days - many that I spoke to did).
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes, and you'll be getting one of those nice new licenses that singles you out as a 'furrner'. It is portrait rather than landscape and has the words 'temporary visitor' written in red on it. It's only valid as long as your visa or I94, can't recall which.... Either way you'll be renewing more often than most....
You get to thank Rick 'the hair' Perry for that.

http://fcw.com/articles/2008/10/10/v...-approval.aspx
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimFountain
Oh yes, and you'll be getting one of those nice new licenses that singles you out as a 'furrner'. It is portrait rather than landscape and has the words 'temporary visitor' written in red on it. It's only valid as long as your visa or I94, can't recall which.... Either way you'll be renewing more often than most....
You get to thank Rick 'the hair' Perry for that.

http://fcw.com/articles/2008/10/10/v...-approval.aspx
For most visas the license will be granted for the duration of your I94.
You must have at least 6 months on your visa
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/driverlicense/
Old Apr 4th 2011, 2:19 am

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flynno37
Hello,

To the person who took the Texas driver's license written and practical test, can you tell me what you had to do?
I had to parallel park, reverse in a straight line, do an emergency stop, turn right 4 times, turn left 4 times. You get marked on each element. Before you can do the practical test you need to pass the eye test and written exam and take your documentation. Mine was a paper written exam as the office didn't have computers. You fail the practical if you hit the post on the parallel park, if you commit a driving offence or if they have to give you too much advice. I would study before the theory as there are odd questions about the rules and fines for under 18s etc. It has been covered on here before, as some driving offices in Texas seem to be giving a year on your UK license, but mine (and the booklet) only gave 90 days. You can get insurance without a TX license. We did and it made no difference price wise. In Houston the wait is 2 weeks minimum at the moment from theory test to written test as they are busy. Don't know what your local ones will be like.