Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

EU Travel Ban on "Americans"

EU Travel Ban on "Americans"

Old Jul 21st 2020, 10:51 am
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EU Travel Ban on "Americans"

Originally Posted by tht
I assume your “us” and “we” are UKC and “them” and “that” are USC? In any case I think the UK and US both have very wealthy and very poor people so I am not sure about your generalization. By way of a data point about 36m Americans were on Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) assistance, otherwise known as food stamps in December 2019, pre-COVID19 shutdown. That’s equivalent to more than 50% of the UK population of 66m+... I am going to guess that many of them don’t have a passport and can’t afford to travel to the UK with or without quarantine. While I know US soccer fans most are brits who moved here, that said I do know USC who go to watch American Football when they play in London....
I accept what you say but there a lot more wealthy people in America than in England. I am sure there are plenty of people who could afford to do it even with what has gone on in America. Not many could from UK. We could not afford to.

Besides I thought this whole travel thing was reciprocal we don't need visas they don't need visas? And to state again it is unlikely that Trump will lift the ban before the vaccine in rolled out to the public. And if you need the vaccine to enter it would be interesting to see how that was verified especially with GDPR data protection rules. Meaning the only would be to do blood tests? I think I can speak for most people in England when I say beep that because there is no way in hell we are having needles stuck in us by U.S border guards to test for antibodies or vaccine protein or whatever they call it. Even if they could get the tests back in 15 minutes and they couldn't.

Last edited by andyrebell; Jul 21st 2020 at 10:56 am.
Old Jul 21st 2020, 11:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I tend to think it would be trained medical professionals sticking any needles in arms or whatever at a border although some of the travellers I have encountered sometimes it has occurred to me It's a shame I cant insert my right boot into that persons ass.
Old Jul 21st 2020, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Tino is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by andyrebell
I accept what you say but there a lot more wealthy people in America than in England. I am sure there are plenty of people who could afford to do it even with what has gone on in America. Not many could from UK. We could not afford to.

Besides I thought this whole travel thing was reciprocal we don't need visas they don't need visas? And to state again it is unlikely that Trump will lift the ban before the vaccine in rolled out to the public. And if you need the vaccine to enter it would be interesting to see how that was verified especially with GDPR data protection rules. Meaning the only would be to do blood tests? I think I can speak for most people in England when I say beep that because there is no way in hell we are having needles stuck in us by U.S border guards to test for antibodies or vaccine protein or whatever they call it. Even if they could get the tests back in 15 minutes and they couldn't.
The travel restrictions will be eased long before a vaccine is available publicly. This will become an economic issue, not about public health.
Old Jul 21st 2020, 12:34 pm
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tino
The travel restrictions will be eased long before a vaccine is available publicly. This will become an economic issue, not about public health.
Lets be realistic here this outbreak is with the USA till the vaccine hits the public or they have a good amount of so called herd immunity whichever comes first. The outbreak numbers will continue to go in the wrong direction and come the winter flu season it will hit again in many places in the USA and badly. Whether the vaccine is taken up on a large scale is a different discussion though I think it will be if it can shown to be trusted which Trump does not show anything can be but that ship will sail. I think 6 months from a now a lot of people will be sick of all this lockdown etc etc and do whatever it takes to get back to watching baseball or whatever without a mask on your face for the rest of your life.

I think it will depend upon who is in the white house as to when the travel ban gets lifted and what steps are taken after it is. I think Trump will keep the travel ban until the vaccine is in the public domain and might even remove countries from the visa waiver program for a while at least and go down the medicals route to ensure vaccination for entry because to suggest that thousands of travellers could be antibody tested every day at international airports and get the results back in 15 minutes is laughable. I think Biden on the other hand would have trust and be once the vaccine in among the people the crisis is over. Or as it over as this outbreak will ever be.

Last edited by andyrebell; Jul 21st 2020 at 12:39 pm.
Old Jul 21st 2020, 12:38 pm
Banned

Here is a thought for the discussion IF America had a decent leader in this crisis. Would that decent leader have banned Americans from travelling overseas to prevent a channel of infection? Because it is a double edged sword isn't it? Americans infected travelling on a flight out to Europe would infect other Americans on the plane travelling out who would infect more on the future return flight?
Old Jul 21st 2020, 1:38 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana

I love your posts, anytime I am having a really bad day I am guaranteed a laugh if I look for you!
he reminds me of the old codgers in my village pub where I grew up. They used to have us in hysterics