Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

EU Travel Ban on "Americans"

EU Travel Ban on "Americans"

Old Jul 1st 2020, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EU Travel Ban on "Americans"

It's not even a new 'ban'. It's the borders not opening up to everyone at the same time. The situation for the average American tourist wanting to go to Spain is no different now than it was last week. But the media loves to show how much the rest of the world hates Americans and we all know that many people love to play the victim card.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 4:16 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steph0scope
It's not even a new 'ban'. It's the borders not opening up to everyone at the same time. The situation for the average American tourist wanting to go to Spain is no different now than it was last week. But the media loves to show how much the rest of the world hates Americans and we all know that many people love to play the victim card.
Whilst what you've written about the situation is true - what has changed is that last week, most of the non-EU countries were also prohibitied from entry and that is not the case any longer.
Also, the EU's declaration is an advisory one to it's members but with a threat that any country that doesn't follow along will have it's borders closed by it's neighbors. Entirely understandable IMO.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 8:15 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1speedy
Post Ja5on
Can't you run into issues doing that, I only ask as I knew a guy from Brazil who left LAX on his US passport, when he arrived in Brazil he used his Brazilian passport all was good but when he flew back he was stopped at immigration at LAX as it showed his US passport had not been used to enter the Brazil, they held him and he was returned back to Brazil to try again using his US passport and when he returned back to LAX again he was admitted ok.
That differs to the D of State guidance:

"U.S. nationals, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. Dual nationals may also be required by the foreign country to use its passport to enter and leave that country. Use of the foreign passport to travel to or from a country other than the United States is not inconsistent with U.S. law. "

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...tionality.html

Old Jul 8th 2020, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

notaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond repute

So this has me curious - If, in my case I wanted to travel to the UK on my British passport, I can still enter the country even though there is a ban on those coming from the US (Since I have the right of abode?)

However what would the options be on my return as a LPR?
Old Jul 8th 2020, 1:52 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

There is no "ban" on those coming from the USA to the UK. You would have to quarantine for 14 days.
As an LPR you would re-enter the USA with your green card and have 14 days of quarantine when you get back.
Old Jul 8th 2020, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

notaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond repute

So are these quarantines 'voluntold' or are they showing up to check you are indoors?
Old Jul 8th 2020, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Whilst what you've written about the situation is true - what has changed is that last week, most of the non-EU countries were also prohibitied from entry and that is not the case any longer.

i am well aware that others can enter but that’s not the topic. We are talking about the situation for US-based travelers. But “most non-EU countries” is an exaggeration. There are 15 countries on the list. The UK has a more extensive list.
Old Jul 10th 2020, 8:04 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notaclue
So are these quarantines 'voluntold' or are they showing up to check you are indoors?
I had a court order, in New York. Six months in prison, or a $150 fine if I broke the conditions of the quarantine. Other states may be more “relaxed” about it.
Old Jul 20th 2020, 2:50 pm
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

The Oxford Vaccine appears to work with UK having plans to obtain 100 million plus doses of 2 separate vaccines according to media reports. I wonder what impact these developments will have on the situation.
Old Jul 20th 2020, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrebell
The Oxford Vaccine appears to work with UK having plans to obtain 100 million plus doses of 2 separate vaccines according to media reports. I wonder what impact these developments will have on the situation.

That is good news but it is still only the early stage trials that it has passed. Here is a site that does some vaccine tracking to see how well they are coming along:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng...e-to-a-vaccine
Old Jul 20th 2020, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

still several weeks before the next stage trials begin in the USA, good progress for sure.

“The vaccine was found to be well-tolerated and there were no serious adverse events, according to the researchers. Fatigue and headache were the most commonly reported, they said. Other common side effects included pain at the injection site, muscle ache, chills and a fever.

Adrian Hill, director of Oxford’s Jenner Institute, told CNBC on Monday the strong immune response means the vaccine is more likely to provide protection against the virus, though nothing is guaranteed. He said scientists hope to begin human trials in the United States in a few weeks.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/20/oxfo...rly-trial.html
Old Jul 20th 2020, 5:47 pm
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
still several weeks before the next stage trials begin in the USA, good progress for sure.

“The vaccine was found to be well-tolerated and there were no serious adverse events, according to the researchers. Fatigue and headache were the most commonly reported, they said. Other common side effects included pain at the injection site, muscle ache, chills and a fever.

Adrian Hill, director of Oxford’s Jenner Institute, told CNBC on Monday the strong immune response means the vaccine is more likely to provide protection against the virus, though nothing is guaranteed. He said scientists hope to begin human trials in the United States in a few weeks.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/20/oxfo...rly-trial.html
They will need the human trials over there the way it has gotten. Anything that slightly slows the spread in any part of the country would be a welcome help. It will be like this in America until the vaccine is in the public domain. It won't die down there is too much of it.

But I still stand my previous postings we should ban them until they lift the ban on us. Many of them might be able to afford to come here quarantine if need be and do whatever. Though getting fined or booted out of the country for refusing wouldn't bother them if they weren't an english soccer fan I don't think. We can't afford to quarantine then do whatever. Most UK travellers haven't got that kind of money. We should not admit that until we are admitted with no restriction.
Old Jul 20th 2020, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

They will need the human trials over there the way it has gotten. Anything that slightly slows the spread in any part of the country would be a welcome help. It will be like this in America until the vaccine is in the public domain. It won't die down there is too much of it.

But I still stand my previous postings we should ban them until they lift the ban on us. Many of them might be able to afford to come here quarantine if need be and do whatever. Though getting fined or booted out of the country for refusing wouldn't bother them if they weren't an english soccer fan I don't think. We can't afford to quarantine then do whatever. Most UK travellers haven't got that kind of money. We should not admit that until we are admitted with no restriction.
Love how grounded your basis is in science.
Old Jul 20th 2020, 10:09 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

I assume your “us” and “we” are UKC and “them” and “that” are USC? In any case I think the UK and US both have very wealthy and very poor people so I am not sure about your generalization. By way of a data point about 36m Americans were on Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) assistance, otherwise known as food stamps in December 2019, pre-COVID19 shutdown. That’s equivalent to more than 50% of the UK population of 66m+... I am going to guess that many of them don’t have a passport and can’t afford to travel to the UK with or without quarantine. While I know US soccer fans most are brits who moved here, that said I do know USC who go to watch American Football when they play in London....
Old Jul 21st 2020, 1:40 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Though getting fined or booted out of the country for refusing wouldn't bother them if they weren't an english soccer fan I don't think.

I love your posts, anytime I am having a really bad day I am guaranteed a laugh if I look for you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.