Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

EU Travel Ban on "Americans"

EU Travel Ban on "Americans"

Old Jun 27th 2020, 9:16 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default EU Travel Ban on "Americans"

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/26/w...ravel-ban.html

Do you think that will apply to "Americans" (i.e. passport holders) or people traveling from America, i.e. anyone who happens to be in the USA regardless of passport? If the UK doesn't follow suit, I could see a scenario where Americans come to the UK for a few days or a week and then onward to the EU, claiming "I'm coming from London, not New York" or something like that.
Old Jun 27th 2020, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EU Travel Ban on "Americans"

On a related note, when do we think the Schengen/UK exec order will be revoked? I still don't particularly like being stuck in the US if something urgent comes up in the UK.
Old Jun 27th 2020, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

OldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
"Americans" (i.e. passport holders)
Also for dual-citizens can we claim to be British and travel, may need to dust off the old British passport

Ian
Old Jun 28th 2020, 7:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/26/w...ravel-ban.html

Do you think that will apply to "Americans" (i.e. passport holders) or people traveling from America, i.e. anyone who happens to be in the USA regardless of passport? If the UK doesn't follow suit, I could see a scenario where Americans come to the UK for a few days or a week and then onward to the EU, claiming "I'm coming from London, not New York" or something like that.
It might be the same as the US ban in reverse i.e. anybody that's been in the US for the 14 days prior. Which would mean a 2 week stay somewhere like the UK first. Just as those in the UK that want to go to the US are having to spend a couple of weeks in Mexico or similar first now.

Originally Posted by OldJuddian
Also for dual-citizens can we claim to be British and travel, may need to dust off the old British passport

Ian
Again if it's like the US ban, citizenship won't be relevant, only where you've been.
Old Jun 28th 2020, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

Again if it's like the US ban, citizenship won't be relevant, only where you've been.
Citizenship is relevant. US citizens aren’t subject to the travel ban on entering the US if they travel from the U.K.

I suspect if the U.K. follows the lead of the EU and bans travellers from the USA then British citizens will not be subject to that ban even if they do come from the USA.
Old Jun 28th 2020, 6:35 pm
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by postbox134
On a related note, when do we think the Schengen/UK exec order will be revoked? I still don't particularly like being stuck in the US if something urgent comes up in the UK.
Facui has recently said in the press that it is possible that the UK ban at least will remain until a vaccine is available. Make of that statement what you will.

I think the UK/EU should ban the americans in kind until they lift the ban on us. That is only fair.
Old Jun 28th 2020, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

I’m planning on flying to the UK to pick up my daughter in mid July. I’m only staying for one day and plan to quarantine while I’m there.

From what I understand of the rules they won’t be stopping citizens from entering, I’ll be using my UK passport to enter the UK and my USA passport for the trip back.
Old Jun 28th 2020, 7:50 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeneralPowerpoint
Citizenship is relevant. US citizens aren’t subject to the travel ban on entering the US if they travel from the U.K.

I suspect if the U.K. follows the lead of the EU and bans travellers from the USA then British citizens will not be subject to that ban even if they do come from the USA.
US Citizens and LPRs are not subject to the ban on travel into the USA from the countries listed in the relevant EO but are subject to self-quarantine/isolation for 14 days after arrival into the USA. I would expect that UK citizens travelling from the USA will be admissible into the UK but then subject to the existing 14 days of quarantine/isolation.
Old Jun 28th 2020, 10:03 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ja5on
I’m planning on flying to the UK to pick up my daughter in mid July. I’m only staying for one day and plan to quarantine while I’m there.
I thought one had to quarantine 14 days minimum?

Rene
Old Jun 28th 2020, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I thought one had to quarantine 14 days minimum?

Rene
if your trip is less than 14 days then you have to quarantine for your entire stay.
Old Jun 28th 2020, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrebell
Facui has recently said in the press that it is possible that the UK ban at least will remain until a vaccine is available. Make of that statement what you will.

I think the UK/EU should ban the americans in kind until they lift the ban on us. That is only fair.
A vaccine? That could take 10 years or more. And need to be changed every year like the flu vaccine.

Some work colleagues whose trips to “Europe” this summer (the usual 10 countries in 7 days “I’ve done Europe” thing) are in the balance depending on how the ruling goes, have been reminded by me that it’s only fair that they be banned from Europe as long as Europeans are banned from coming here. I was supposed to see my mother for the first time in 2 years last month but she was banned from coming here. So I can’t shed any tears that their cruises from Venice have been canceled.
Old Jun 29th 2020, 12:48 am
Just Joined

1speedy is an unknown quantity at this point

Post Ja5on
Can't you run into issues doing that, I only ask as I knew a guy from Brazil who left LAX on his US passport, when he arrived in Brazil he used his Brazilian passport all was good but when he flew back he was stopped at immigration at LAX as it showed his US passport had not been used to enter the Brazil, they held him and he was returned back to Brazil to try again using his US passport and when he returned back to LAX again he was admitted ok.

Last edited by 1speedy; Jun 29th 2020 at 12:50 am.
Old Jun 29th 2020, 1:10 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1speedy
Post Ja5on
Can't you run into issues doing that, I only ask as I knew a guy from Brazil who left LAX on his US passport, when he arrived in Brazil he used his Brazilian passport all was good but when he flew back he was stopped at immigration at LAX as it showed his US passport had not been used to enter the Brazil, they held him and he was returned back to Brazil to try again using his US passport and when he returned back to LAX again he was admitted ok.
Whilst I do think that USCIS have access to your complete travel history, I also have heard of Brits/USCs using their UK passports when they arrive in UK to avoid the longer immigration queues without issues.
Maybe it's just right now when people like your Brazilian friend is just trying to circumvent sensible immigration rules.
Old Jun 29th 2020, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute

What if you wanted to work in say the UK while you were there? As a UK citizen that's fine but as a US visitor that's not. Surely as long as you leave and enter the US on that passport you'll be good.
​​​
Old Jun 29th 2020, 1:58 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by postbox134
What if you wanted to work in say the UK while you were there? As a UK citizen that's fine but as a US visitor that's not. Surely as long as you leave and enter the US on that passport you'll be good.
​​​
yes of course.
which is why I think your Brazilian friend is talking out of his backside.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.