Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Etiquette following job interview?

Etiquette following job interview?

Old May 17th 2010, 3:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Etiquette following job interview?

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
While you may not like Ozone's responses, it is worth recognizing that there is no one correct answer to the question. As an interviewee, you must decide whether the environment is one you would wish to work in, and whether the 'corporate culture' is one in which thank-you notes are valued.
Well like people say, you are also interviewing the employer too and this case would be a major fail.

How badly HR acts is also a big reflection on the impression of the company, I know many really skilled world class coders who have avoided certain companies because of the rubbish HR and/or reputation of the company.
Old May 17th 2010, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

coopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Well like people say, you are also interviewing the employer too and this case would be a major fail.

How badly HR acts is also a big reflection on the impression of the company, I know many really skilled world class coders who have avoided certain companies because of the rubbish HR and/or reputation of the company.
Agree totally.

In my profession, there are big bucks to be made if you're not bothered about who you work for. I can make a lot more money than I do now by taking a huge sign-on bonus and a much bigger hourly rate than I earn now.

But I value my physical and mental well-being. Those employers are offering the financial enticements because not many people want to work there, or if they do, they don't stay long.
Old May 18th 2010, 1:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Very true. I once interviewed for a national bank who told me that they were cutting back on costs and did not send rejection letters as a result. If you didn't hear from them, it hadn't worked out.

They called me for a second interview and I declined. I figured if they couldn't be bothered to send me a form letter for the cost of a stamp, that didn't bode well for the future.
Old May 18th 2010, 1:49 am
Banned

Ozone Park will become famous soon enough

You showed them
Old May 18th 2010, 1:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozone Park
You showed them
If that was directed to me - no, not really. I didn't say I declined the interview for those reasons and doubt they would have cared. I just thought it was in poor taste on their part.
Old May 18th 2010, 1:57 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
If that was directed to me - no, not really. I didn't say I declined the interview for those reasons and doubt they would have cared. I just thought it was in poor taste on their part.
I agree
Old May 18th 2010, 2:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Very true. I once interviewed for a national bank who told me that they were cutting back on costs and did not send rejection letters as a result. If you didn't hear from them, it hadn't worked out.

They called me for a second interview and I declined. I figured if they couldn't be bothered to send me a form letter for the cost of a stamp, that didn't bode well for the future.
I've never had a formal rejection letter from any job I've applied for (and not got an offer for) in the US. Nor would I expect one. In the reverse direction, job offers haven't usually been in writing until they have a good sense that there's a fair chance I'd be interested in it. Otoh, I'm sensing that I've probably experienced a lot more interaction during the hiring process than many of you seem to have, so maybe that kind of formality hasn't been needed.

Last edited by Giantaxe; May 18th 2010 at 2:12 am.
Old May 18th 2010, 2:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I've never had a formal rejection letter from any job I've applied for (and not got an offer for) in the US. Nor would I expect one. In the reverse direction, job offers haven't usually been in writing until they have a good sense that there's a fair chance I'd be interested in it. Otoh, I'm sensing that I've probably experienced a lot more interaction during the hiring process than many of you seem to have, so maybe that kind of formality hasn't been needed.
This was an on-campus interview for a first full-time job conducted at my university where this was the norm. But even if it wasn't the norm, making a point of the fact that they weren't sending them out to save costs struck me the wrong way ... they could have just left that out altogether, but perhaps they didn't want to hear from the interviewees.
Old May 18th 2010, 3:03 am
Banned

but perhaps they didn't want to hear from the interviewees.
Bingo! I told ya!

No thank you notes please
Old May 18th 2010, 3:28 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Email is king....I know a few places that even have it automated, not enough places tbh, but works well. You apply, resume goes into a database, it's looked at and your in the no, they tick a box and auto no email sent, if your interviewed, HR take care of you for a yes, auto response for a no.

Not much in the way of paper these days, I've only gotten two rejection letters in paper and one was from a Canadian company.

Did have a friend who got a rejection letter 4 years after applying for a job which was pretty funny though
Old May 18th 2010, 3:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ozone Park
Bingo! I told ya!

No thank you notes please
You can always throw out a thank you note. In this country (among Americans who are hiring) a thank you note can set you apart from the others and is viewed as a courtesy - thanking the interviewer for taking the time to talk with you. It also gives you a chance to reaffirm your interest and no, that doesn't mean that kissing @ss is what you should do. When in Rome.
Old May 26th 2010, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

coopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond repute

Hey everybody

I just got a phone call re the job. I've progressed to the next stage. They are taking up references and doing background checks.

Looking good
Old May 26th 2010, 10:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coopa_troopa
Hey everybody

I just got a phone call re the job. I've progressed to the next stage. They are taking up references and doing background checks.

Looking good
Old May 26th 2010, 10:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hey everybody

Looking good
Good luck.
Old May 26th 2010, 11:23 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Hey everybody

Looking good
Oh Thats excellant news

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.