Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Etiquette following job interview?

Etiquette following job interview?

Old May 12th 2010, 3:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Etiquette following job interview?

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
You know, on my resume I don't even list my high school. I just list my BS and Masters. I guess I've always figured that an employer wouldn't care about High School or assumed I graduated from HS if I have a BS and Masters.
Agree, I don't list GPA either. I don't think it's relevant once you have work experience, but should definitely be included when you're fresh out of school (assuming it's a good one). My pet peeve is when people list hobbies, etc - it's just not relevant.
Old May 12th 2010, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

coopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond repute

I took all your suggestions and advice (thanks) and sent a thank you note, also reaffirming my interest in the job.

I got a reply within the hour, saying the following.......

"It was our pleasure to meet you! We hope to be back in touch with you in the near future"
Old May 12th 2010, 2:02 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coopa_troopa
I took all your suggestions and advice (thanks) and sent a thank you note, also reaffirming my interest in the job.

I got a reply within the hour, saying the following.......

"It was our pleasure to meet you! We hope to be back in touch with you in the near future"
Old May 12th 2010, 4:34 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I had a job interview last week, my first ever since moving here, and although I got some positive feedback at the end of the interview, I haven't heard anything since.

Do I just wait to hear? Or is it acceptable to follow up in some way?

Just anxious to know, even if it's a "No"
Not 100% relevant, but I read this just yesterday:

http://chronicle.com/article/Asking-...&utm_medium=en

I've searched on dozens of search committees and I think follow-up contacts are just fine, but it's all about how you do it.
Old May 14th 2010, 1:43 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

I was just talking about the thank-you note thing today. My department is in the process of hiring a position replacement, and we've interviewed 4 people so far. One of the candidates was interviewed on Tuesday afternoon, and by this morning we had already received handwritten thank-you notes from her.

It may seem like an annoying practice to some, but it served its purpose because it made her memorable. There were 5 of us who interviewed her, and at one point or another today, each of us said, "I got a thank-you note from Jane Smith -- did you?" It also demonstrated that she appreciates us meeting with her, giving her a chance, and that she's serious about getting the job. More specifically, it showed us that she has good writing skills, etiquette and follow-through, all of which are important to this particular position.

Ultimately job hunting all comes down to self-marketing. Writing a thank-you note is just one way to market oneself in a very competitive environment. At worst, the employer will toss it in the trash (or delete the email). In some cases it may actually end up helping the employer decide between two very close candidates.

~ Jenney
Old May 14th 2010, 5:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
I was just talking about the thank-you note thing today. My department is in the process of hiring a position replacement, and we've interviewed 4 people so far. One of the candidates was interviewed on Tuesday afternoon, and by this morning we had already received handwritten thank-you notes from her.

It may seem like an annoying practice to some, but it served its purpose because it made her memorable. There were 5 of us who interviewed her, and at one point or another today, each of us said, "I got a thank-you note from Jane Smith -- did you?" It also demonstrated that she appreciates us meeting with her, giving her a chance, and that she's serious about getting the job. More specifically, it showed us that she has good writing skills, etiquette and follow-through, all of which are important to this particular position.

Ultimately job hunting all comes down to self-marketing. Writing a thank-you note is just one way to market oneself in a very competitive environment. At worst, the employer will toss it in the trash (or delete the email). In some cases it may actually end up helping the employer decide between two very close candidates.

~ Jenney
Did she get the job?
Old May 15th 2010, 2:28 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Did she get the job?
As it turns out, she did.

~ Jenney
Old May 15th 2010, 5:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
As it turns out, she did.

~ Jenney
Old May 15th 2010, 3:12 pm
Banned

Ozone Park will become famous soon enough

I do a lot of hiring and i'm not sure about the merits of a thank you card..It seems a bit disingenuous to me. Thank me for what, trying to fill the position? We know that everyone who shows up for the interview wants the job, and sending a Thank You card days later is a bit like groveling and I do not require that. I for one would not be swayed by it. Express your appreciation for the interview at the end of the interview, but do not return a few years later to ask "how did I do?"

Just my opinion
Old May 15th 2010, 3:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozone Park
I do a lot of hiring and i'm not sure about the merits of a thank you card..It seems a bit disingenuous to me. Thank me for what, trying to fill the position? We know that everyone who shows up for the interview wants the job, and sending a Thank You card days later is a bit like groveling and I do not require that. I for one would not be swayed by it. Express your appreciation for the interview at the end of the interview, but do not return a few years later to ask "how did I do?"

Just my opinion
It may feel like grovelling to many Brits but we are not in the UK now and thank you letters seem to be the way to go in the US. When in Rome and all that...especially if you want the job.
Old May 15th 2010, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

coopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond repute

sending a Thank You card days later is a bit like groveling
Well that's what I thought initially, but after the helpful suggestions and comments on here regarding the expectations in the US, it seemed appropriate to send a thank you note, and also to let the interviewers know that I'm still very much interested in the position.

I've had job interviews in the UK, and as a result of info given about the job during the interview, decided that the job wasn't really what I had thought it would be. So, I thought it wouldn't be a bad thing to let them know that the interview confirmed my interest.

I think I did the right thing in this instance, as I received an immediate reply from them. They seemed pleased that I had sent the note, and although the reply was non-commital regarding whether I'd got the job or not, it gave me the impression I'm still a candidate.
Old May 15th 2010, 4:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

I think I did the right thing in this instance, as I received an immediate reply from them. They seemed pleased that I had sent the note, and although the reply was non-commital regarding whether I'd got the job or not, it gave me the impression I'm still a candidate.
I agree that you did the right thing. Sending a 'thank you' in the US is considered common courtesy, even though not all candidates do this.

FWIW, if I've interviewed someone and know they haven't gotten the job, but HR has not yet been in touch with them, I don't reply to an e-mail thank you. If I know that the news is good for the candidate, I reply in the manner you received ... so I would say you're definitely still a candidate.
Old May 15th 2010, 7:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Just my opinion
It's the US way of doing things though.

Personally, I use it as a chance to ask follow up questions, or to readdress any answers, "just a thanks for your time, nice to meet the team, I know I didn't answer this particular question very well, is there anything you'd like me to go over about it", kind of thing.
Old May 15th 2010, 7:53 pm
Banned

Ozone Park will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bob
It's the US way of doing things though.

Personally, I use it as a chance to ask follow up questions, or to readdress any answers, "just a thanks for your time, nice to meet the team, I know I didn't answer this particular question very well, is there anything you'd like me to go over about it", kind of thing.
I really don't think it is "The American Way". I've been here for 20 years and they don't seem to tolerate suck ups to well.. Not the ones I do business with anyway. Quite the opposite in fact, but that's just my personal experience
Old May 15th 2010, 7:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't think it is "The American Way". I've been here for 20 years and they don't seem to tolerate suck ups to well.. Not the ones I do business with anyway. Quite the opposite in fact, but that's just my personal experience
Do you pull your thoughts out of thin air or are you being deliberately awkward?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.