Reload this Page >

Ethical Banking - Regular account & old social security number

Ethical Banking - Regular account & old social security number

Old Aug 5th 2011, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

flck72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Ethical Banking - Regular account & old social security number

Hi

I have been trying to find information on Ethical banking in the USA for a regular (checking?) account (or equivalent to UK current a/c)?

I have not been able to come across any suitable info on the web. I bank in the UK with Smile co-operative bank and would like a similar ethical type bank in the US (Madison NJ).

Any ideas?

Also I had a social security number in 1995 when I was on a J1 program but no longer remember number or have the same name, do I just apply for a new one? I found a number to call on the internet be it ended up being a dodgy personal service number!

Your help is appreciated.
Thanks again.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 12:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ethical Banking - Regular account & old social security number

Originally Posted by flck72
Hi

I have been trying to find information on Ethical banking in the USA for a regular (checking?) account (or equivalent to UK current a/c)?

I have not been able to come across any suitable info on the web. I bank in the UK with Smile co-operative bank and would like a similar ethical type bank in the US (Madison NJ).

Any ideas?

Also I had a social security number in 1995 when I was on a J1 program but no longer remember number or have the same name, do I just apply for a new one? I found a number to call on the internet be it ended up being a dodgy personal service number!

Your help is appreciated.
Thanks again.
IMO US banks are nothing like UK banks...mostly due to the UK strict banking regs. There are lots of small independent banks here that seem to come and go overnight. We went with one of the large banks...Chase...the service is not particularly good but from what I can gather they are pretty good compared to other banks.

Your US SS number is for life...it does not expire...you do not get a new one.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 1:08 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flck72
Also I had a social security number in 1995 when I was on a J1 program but no longer remember number or have the same name...
Your SS# is for life. You'll need to contact SSA in person, to verify who you are to get your original SS#. They won't give you this info by post, email, or the phone.

Ian
Old Aug 5th 2011, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Ethics and US banks? I might be forced to use this emoticon

I think the closest you might get would be in a local credit union.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes - a credit union is probably going to be the closest thing that you will be able to find.

In the US a bank would be considered "ethical" if they didn't lose or steal your money or lie in order to foreclose on your house - even by those standards "ethical banking" is almost unheard of in the US ..,
Old Aug 5th 2011, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Ethical and Banking do not go together!

If you are still in the UK you can contact the FBU at the London Embassy and they will confirm your SSN number by mail to a UK address but will not issue you a replacement card.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 6:17 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

How about the Hilltop Community Bank in Madison, NJ?

Not sure whether it is ethical or not - but the great thing about these little banks (including local Savings & Loans and Credit Unions) in the US is that you can walk in & talk to the CEO, the branch manager etc., ask them whether they are ethical. (It looks like this bank has three branches.)