British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Estimated tax for 2015 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/estimated-tax-2015-a-852573/)

newadventure Feb 11th 2015 11:45 pm

Estimated tax for 2015

Not sure if i am being daft or not. I am using an online calculator to figure out roughly what tax we will be paying this year. I have calculated our salaries separately, using married filing separately 0 dependents. When i combine our salaries and calculate married filing joint, 0 dependents, the answer is very different than the sum of the first two calcs. I can see that filing separately vs joint will make a difference, in which case how do i calculate my single tax bill?

Thanks

Pulaski Feb 11th 2015 11:59 pm

Re: Estimated tax for 2015

If you're "married filing jointly", you don't have a "single tax bill". What are you trying to achieve? .... Are you calculating how much tax you need to withhold? :unsure:

So long as the two of you have enough withheld in aggregate it makes no difference from whom it is withheld.

Noorah101 Feb 12th 2015 12:09 am

What Pulaski said.

It's good that you're calculating both ways to see which works better for you financially. Are you saying it's financially advantageous for you and your spouse to file "married filing separately"? That's unusual, because filing "married filing joint" usually gives you some tax breaks at the end of the year on your tax return.

Rene

newadventure Feb 12th 2015 12:24 am

Thanks both. Definitely more advantageous to go as married filing joint. I am trying to work out what tax should be withheld on a one-off workplace payment (bonus). We contract payroll out, and i dont know how they calculate the tax, but they seemed to withhold more than i was expecting. When i questioned it, they more or less asked how much i wanted to withhold

Bink Feb 12th 2015 12:44 am

Originally Posted by newadventure (Post 11563041)
Thanks both. Definitely more advantageous to go as married filing joint. I am trying to work out what tax should be withheld on a one-off workplace payment (bonus). We contract payroll out, and i dont know how they calculate the tax, but they seemed to withhold more than i was expecting. When i questioned it, they more or less asked how much i wanted to withhold

That's how it is here. You tell them how much to withhold and its your responsibility if its wrong. I started off overpaying substantially and am slowly normalizing it closer to breaking even. Even so, I ended up overpaying by quite margin again this year still though that was more related to SS deductions than anything else.

Pulaski Feb 12th 2015 1:25 am

Originally Posted by newadventure (Post 11563041)

On a bonus it's fairly easy to estimate - its the amount of the bonus x your marginal tax rate.

If you're married filing jointly everything from $73,801 to $148,850 is taxed at 25%, and the next band upto $186,350 is taxed at 28%. So if you expect your annual income excluding bonus, but after deductions (mortgage interest, charitable deductions, etc.) to be $138,850, and you're expecting a $25,000 bonus then you should withhold 25% of $10,000 and 28% of $15,000, which I think works out as $6,700.

newadventure Feb 12th 2015 1:48 pm

Thanks Pulaski, that is very helpful. Just to be clear, that is the purely the Federal tax Withholding? Do I need to be estimating SS, Medicare and state (SC) tax as well?

thinbrit Feb 12th 2015 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by newadventure (Post 11563486)
Thanks Pulaski, that is very helpful. Just to be clear, that is the purely the Federal tax Withholding? Do I need to be estimating SS, Medicare and state (SC) tax as well?

Bonuses are typically considered "supplemental wages". They are subject to the taxes your salary is subject to. In South Carolina, supplemental wages are taxed at 7.0% (state tax).

Pulaski Feb 12th 2015 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by newadventure (Post 11563486)

I don't recall ever seeing an option to set or change withholding for anything other than Federal income tax. My state income tax has always been close to balanced anyway, so I have never worried much about it. That said, I have noticed consistently that $100 of bonus increases my net pay by (only) $58, so other things are being withheld, but I have never looked at exactly how much is going against the different headings. ..... Thinking about it, several percent is my 401k deduction*. I presume some is state income tax.

* I don't mind the extra bump in my 401k, ..... and I get company matching funds on the 401k money that comes out of my bonus! :thumbsup:

Giantaxe Feb 12th 2015 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11563900)
I don't recall ever seeing an option to set or change withholding for anything other than Federal income tax.

In many states you can change your withholding for state taxes too.