Reload this Page >

Establishing residency for a new immigrant with no fixed address

Establishing residency for a new immigrant with no fixed address

Old Jun 11th 2017, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

skyland235 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Establishing residency for a new immigrant with no fixed address

Hi
Re: Establishing residency for a new immigrant with no fixed address i.e. initial stay in extended stay motel/Hotel/Airbnb etc

Just doing a little research on Florida Driving licenses etc –
One of the requirements is Proof of residency? Hypothetically, for a new immigrant who chooses to stay in say an extended stay hotel/motel on the first visit – not sure how I would go about meeting the requirement for ‘proofs of residential’ address?
If anyone has been in a similar position it’d be great to get some advice
Thanks
Old Jun 11th 2017, 3:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Establishing residency for a new immigrant with no fixed address

Use your employer's address, or

Rent a mailbox at The UPS Store, then use their street address and "Apt #" or "Unit #", rather than the box number. .... It's probably best not to use the UPS Store across the road from the DMV. Or

You might even get away with using the street address of your hotel and then "Apt #" and your room number.

Then get something sent to you at that address e.g. something from a bank, or even mail yourself a postcard - yes, that may be enough proof that that is your address.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 11th 2017 at 3:52 pm.
Old Jun 11th 2017, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for this - yes, I will look at renting an address etc - UPS and something called goodsammailservice.com looked Ok -just hope it works!!
Old Jun 11th 2017, 7:18 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skyland235
Hi
Re: Establishing residency for a new immigrant with no fixed address i.e. initial stay in extended stay motel/Hotel/Airbnb etc

One of the requirements is Proof of residency? Hypothetically, for a new immigrant who chooses to stay in say an extended stay hotel/motel on the first visit – not sure how I would go about meeting the requirement for ‘proofs of residential’ address?
Thanks
Are you planning on coming to the US, activating your family visa and then returning to the UK before once again coming back to the US to live permanently?

If that is the case, why not wait until you have permanently moved to the US to get your driver's license. Also you have an adult child who petitioned for you so can you use their home as your permanent address for the license?
Old Jun 12th 2017, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Rete;12270729]Are you planning on coming to the US, activating your family visa and then returning to the UK before once again coming back to the US to live permanently?

100% bang on!! - that's exactly what we were planning on doing? As this would then initiate the SSN process. I would also be looking on this 1st POE to open a bank account at the very least

Rete- with regards petitioner ( Mother-in-Law)- they reside in Dallas and setting up a permanent address there wold be no problem at all...but would these details ( Dallas ID docs etc) be acceptable in Florida?
Thanks again
Old Jun 12th 2017, 5:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
Are you planning on coming to the US, activating your family visa and then returning to the UK before once again coming back to the US to live permanently?

If that is the case, why not wait until you have permanently moved to the US to get your driver's license. Also you have an adult child who petitioned for you so can you use their home as your permanent address for the license?
100% bang on!! - that's exactly what we were planning on doing? As this would then initiate the SSN process. I would also be looking on this 1st POE to open a bank account at the very least

Rete- with regards petitioner ( Mother-in-Law)- they reside in Dallas and setting up a permanent address there wold be no problem at all...but would these details ( Dallas ID docs etc) be acceptable in Florida?
Thanks again
Old Jun 14th 2017, 12:18 pm
Just Joined

UKRobJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Thanks
If it helps, we arrived a week ago and are staying in an AirBnB while we property hunt, my tests are booked and the DMV were really helpful, there are two to take, the roadsigns / questions section, which there are 50 questions and you need to achieve 40 correct. Then the actual driving test, I couldn't get the same day, so mine is a couple of days later. I was advised that I would need my passport which contains my Visa, my SSN, my UK driving license and a certification of address, I explained the whole AirBnB thing and they provided me with form to fill out (very basic) called Certification of Address, here is a section from it and with luck its attached to this response (my first post on here so fingers crossed)

A Certification of Address form completed and signed by the customer is accepted as proof of residential address, providing it is accompanied by:
o One proof of residential address in the customer’s name or;
o One proof of residential address in the name of the person with whom the customer resides. ***

Hope that helps, here is the site we used. Gather Go Get the FLORiDA Card: Index
Attached Files
Old Jun 16th 2017, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by UKRobJ
If it helps, we arrived a week ago and are staying in an AirBnB while we property hunt, my tests are booked and the DMV were really helpful, there are two to take, the roadsigns / questions section, which there are 50 questions and you need to achieve 40 correct. Then the actual driving test, I couldn't get the same day, so mine is a couple of days later. I was advised that I would need my passport which contains my Visa, my SSN, my UK driving license and a certification of address, I explained the whole AirBnB thing and they provided me with form to fill out (very basic) called Certification of Address, here is a section from it and with luck its attached to this response (my first post on here so fingers crossed)

A Certification of Address form completed and signed by the customer is accepted as proof of residential address, providing it is accompanied by:
o One proof of residential address in the customer’s name or;
o One proof of residential address in the name of the person with whom the customer resides. ***

Hope that helps, here is the site we used. Gather Go Get the FLORiDA Card: Index
Many thanks- this is very helpfil
Old Jun 16th 2017, 4:17 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again
No, they will not be helpful.

Bear in mind that when you enter the US you will need to give them an address to have the green card mailed to and you will need to go to the Social Security Administration office to apply for your social security card about 10 days after entry (this is to ensure that you are in their system).

Think you are overly concerned with getting the Florida driver's license. You have time to do that. As for opening a bank account, find one that will allow you to open a non-interest bearing account so that the need for a social security card can be waived. You can always changed banks or accounts once you have made the US your permanent home and have a permanent mailing address.
Old Jun 17th 2017, 4:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
No, they will not be helpful.

Bear in mind that when you enter the US you will need to give them an address to have the green card mailed to and you will need to go to the Social Security Administration office to apply for your social security card about 10 days after entry (this is to ensure that you are in their system).

Think you are overly concerned with getting the Florida driver's license. You have time to do that. As for opening a bank account, find one that will allow you to open a non-interest bearing account so that the need for a social security card can be waived. You can always changed banks or accounts once you have made the US your permanent home and have a permanent mailing address.
Yes- On the 1st visit, as a minimum, we would like to open a bank account etc - so will research to see the ones that will allow us to open an account without SSN
thanks again!
Old Jun 17th 2017, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

Hi
As I was searching through this forum for other nuggets of good information- I have just come across a post I had posted April 2016!! on a similar subject.
I can only apologise for not realising I had done this as I would not have asked the question again had I known!!