Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Establishing Credit

Establishing Credit

Old Sep 2nd 2005, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

emily will become famous soon enough
Question Establishing Credit

I am a UK Citizen, who has recently emigrated to the USA. Married a USC and now here on the CR1. I have opened a bank account as now have SSN. I need to establish credit to purchase a home.
How can I do this?

Also, I used to own a home in the UK, had a mortgage and everything, Can I transfer credit from the UK to the USA to save waiting for my credit score to slowly go up?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Establishing Credit

1. go to your bank... arrange a secured credit card
2. buy a car on credit - even if its only $2000 on credit.. do it.. take the shitty rate (likely around 17%).
3. Use the card, pay for them both on time.
4. when you start getting offers in the post saying "you qualified for our -1% credit card" then check your credit score.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 3:43 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Establishing Credit

Originally Posted by emily
I am a UK Citizen, who has recently emigrated to the USA. Married a USC and now here on the CR1. I have opened a bank account as now have SSN. I need to establish credit to purchase a home.
How can I do this?

Also, I used to own a home in the UK, had a mortgage and everything, Can I transfer credit from the UK to the USA to save waiting for my credit score to slowly go up?

Any advice would be appreciated.
US bank checking account makes no difference to your US credit score.
UK credit history is not transferable to US.

There's a short primer here.

What is your spouse's US credit history like? Has he got any US credit cards, for example?
Have you got a UK Amex or MBNA credit card?
How much down payment (proportion) have you got for the house?