Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

establish domicile and work

establish domicile and work

Old Jan 19th 2011, 10:55 pm
Just Joined

Andyrocks22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default establish domicile and work

My wife is a US citizen in the UK on a LTR .We have decided to move to the US (she has been living in the UK for 15 months) but do not want to be separated. Does she have to move to the US before me to get a job and to establish domicile? If so, how long does she need to be employed before I will be allowed to join her? How soon can she leave after the I-130 has been filed? Will I be allowed to fly to the US to visit her while all this is being processed? She already has an address in the states and we will be living with her daughter.
Warmest Regards and Thanks!
Old Jan 19th 2011, 11:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: establish domicile and work

Originally Posted by Andyrocks22 View Post
My wife is a US citizen in the UK on a LTR .We have decided to move to the US (she has been living in the UK for 15 months) but do not want to be separated. Does she have to move to the US before me to get a job and to establish domicile?
Not necessarily.

If so, how long does she need to be employed before I will be allowed to join her?
If she is using a joint sponsor, she doesn't need to be employed at all. If she wants to go ahead and get employed first and not use a joint sponsor, she probable needs to be employed long enough to have several pay stubs to show for it.

How soon can she leave after the I-130 has been filed?
As soon as it's been accepted, which usually means after you know payment has been taken.

Will I be allowed to fly to the US to visit her while all this is being processed?
Yes.

Rene