Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

ESTA - lost passport - Flagged entering US

ESTA - lost passport - Flagged entering US

Old Nov 28th 2010, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

JamesEJB is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy ESTA - lost passport - Flagged entering US

I lost my UK passport. I reported the loss, got a new passport, did a new ESTA application. All dandy. However now every time I enter the US I get detained and sent to the back room. They check, say it is fine and then clear me to come in. Apparantly it has to do with my passport having been lost (the report gets passed on to Interpol) and a new ESTA number. They always say that they are just checking to make sure I am me. My question back is would you not just do that if it was the old passport number that a person was trying to use? Unfortunately the warning comes up against your name generally, and it is only when you go to the verification room that they have access to the full records to check. It is not a big deal save that the average wait time is about 3 hours and I am now on the 3rd time and have missed my connecting flight each time. I asked the officer what I can do to clear it up and the response is nothing - "this is going to follow you for some time because you reported it missing. It's for your own good". So far it is only a problem entering the US, not in Asia or in Europe.

Has any one else had this problem? If so any suggestions on how to fix it?
Old Nov 28th 2010, 4:29 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ESTA - lost passport - Flagged entering US

Originally Posted by JamesEJB
I asked the officer what I can do to clear it up and the response is nothing - "this is going to follow you for some time because you reported it missing. It's for your own good".
From where he sits, he's correct. For the big picture, however, I believe there is a remedy. For the life of me, I can't remember the name of the process, but there is one. Hopefully, someone with a better memory than me will come along shortly and post.

Ian
Old Nov 28th 2010, 7:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Ian, wasn't it Nettlebed that had an issue that had him flagged even after he naturalized? He got it cleared up. I believer it took a few months.

James, the problem Nettlebed had was entirely different from yours (think it had to do with something criminal), but he described the process so that he would no longer be flagged. Think it was the TRIP program or something like that.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 8:45 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Ian, wasn't it Nettlebed that had an issue that had him flagged even after he naturalized? He got it cleared up. I believer it took a few months.
Yes... that was it! I couldn't remember who it was. It was the TRIP program as you suggest.

JamesEJB - start here: http://www.dhs.gov/files/programs/gc_1169676919316.shtm. To be honest, I've no idea if this will do the trick for you, but it certainly won't hurt to give it a try.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Nov 28th 2010 at 8:49 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

JamesEJB is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks. I will give it a try.