British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   ESTA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/esta-710875/)

Sofi Mar 25th 2011 9:33 pm

ESTA

Hi,

Am I correct in assuming that if I hold an H4 visa I do not need ESTA authorization to travel to the states? (The H4 visa is stamped in my old passport but this has just been renewed and I have been issued with a new passport. However, I will of course take both passports with me).

fatbrit Mar 25th 2011 9:36 pm

Re: ESTA

You are correct in believing that you don't need an ESTA.

Sofi Mar 25th 2011 9:57 pm

Thanks Fatbrit :)

Sofi Mar 25th 2011 10:12 pm

Would it cause confusion at immigration control if I have my H4 and ESTA (I need ESTA to check in online with my airline so I can get a discount on extra baggage!!)

meauxna Mar 25th 2011 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by Sofi (Post 9264814)
Would it cause confusion at immigration control if I have my H4 and ESTA (I need ESTA to check in online with my airline so I can get a discount on extra baggage!!)

You can not travel on the Visa Waiver Program. ESTA = VWP travel only.

It may simply be that you can not check in online. I can't imagine what fresh hell the airlines have dreamed up that would allow tourists move baggage allowance than temporary movers.

Sofi Mar 25th 2011 10:38 pm

All of the airlines now seem to only allow one item in checked luggage when travelling to the States! After that you start paying through the nose. A bit of a nightmare!!

meauxna Mar 25th 2011 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by Sofi (Post 9264867)
All of the airlines now seem to only allow one item in checked luggage when travelling to the States! After that you start paying through the nose. A bit of a nightmare!!

Yes, them's the new rules. Domestic flights we don't get any free baggage now. I'm being charged $20 per bag one way. Ticks me off.

sir_eccles Mar 25th 2011 10:48 pm

Check in with an agent at the airport, ask him to waive the fee.

fatbrit Mar 25th 2011 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 9264880)
Yes, them's the new rules. Domestic flights we don't get any free baggage now. I'm being charged $20 per bag one way. Ticks me off.

I've taken to fedexing anything I'll need to my destination, and back home before I leave. Costs about the same, and I don't need to haul it around with me.

meauxna Mar 25th 2011 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 9264905)
I've taken to fedexing anything I'll need to my destination, and back home before I leave. Costs about the same, and I don't need to haul it around with me.

hmm, interesting idea. Won't need it for this trip, but for the future.. But man, $40 is a significant hit on a $200 ticket. Oh well, beats driving I guess.