Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Essex, UK to NY, USA....

Essex, UK to NY, USA....

Old Dec 5th 2006, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

derson has a brilliant futurederson has a brilliant futurederson has a brilliant futurederson has a brilliant futurederson has a brilliant futurederson has a brilliant futurederson has a brilliant futurederson has a brilliant future
Default Essex, UK to NY, USA....

How do, just been told I'm being transferred to our New York office so thought I'd register here and try and get some advice from the expats!

I'll be moving out there with my missus and 2 kids (1 yr and 2.5 yrs) so any advice on a nice, safe, family-friendly area where I can commute to Manhatten within an hour or so would be great!

Oh, currently living in Essex, UK. The cultural change can't be that much, can it? ;-)
Old Dec 5th 2006, 2:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Essex, UK to NY, USA....

Originally Posted by derson
How do, just been told I'm being transferred to our New York office so thought I'd register here and try and get some advice from the expats!

I'll be moving out there with my missus and 2 kids (1 yr and 2.5 yrs) so any advice on a nice, safe, family-friendly area where I can commute to Manhatten within an hour or so would be great!

Oh, currently living in Essex, UK. The cultural change can't be that much, can it? ;-)
Hello and welcome to BE.

Try using the search facility...located in the pink bar above. There have been quite a few threads over the last few months on this very subject. There is also advice on what sort of financial package to look for...healthcare, emergency trips back to the UK, vacation etc.

How long are you planning to live in the USA...if it's more than a couple of years...you may want to consider school districts before buying a property. I live in NW New Jersey...well within commuter distance to NYC...takes about 1 hr on the train. It's very expensive to live in the Tri State area because of it's location to NYC. Watch out for hidden extras...if you are working in NYC you will be paying NYC taxes as well as Federal and State.

My husband transferred here through his company...although he had an office in NYC...he preferred to be based nearer home.

I presume you are joking about the cultural change.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 2:26 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE and good luck with your move

Old Dec 5th 2006, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

derson has a brilliant futurederson has a brilliant futurederson has a brilliant futurederson has a brilliant futurederson has a brilliant futurederson has a brilliant futurederson has a brilliant futurederson has a brilliant future

Hi Jerseygirl, thanks for the message.

I wasn't looking to buy initially but to rent out our UK property and rent once over there. Once I go I'll be committed for at least a year and a half to 2 years at which point the school thing will definitely be important!

As for healthcare, the company apparently will cover medical and dental insurance for me and the family,as well as start up a 401k or something which is a pension plan. Plus 22 days holidays not including Public holidays.

The office is quite near to Times Square (5-10 mins walk) so if I could commute to somewhere near there would be ace! My priority is to get the family in somewhere nice and I can suffer a commute - I'm used to it in the UK!

I read on another post about Long Island? Is that anywhere near you? Sorry, I should google it really but my head is spinning at the mo!

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hello and welcome to BE.

Try using the search facility...located in the pink bar above. There have been quite a few threads over the last few months on this very subject. There is also advice on what sort of financial package to look for...healthcare, emergency trips back to the UK, vacation etc.

How long are you planning to live in the USA...if it's more than a couple of years...you may want to consider school districts before buying a property. I live in NW New Jersey...well within commuter distance to NYC...takes about 1 hr on the train. It's very expensive to live in the Tri State area because of it's location to NYC. Watch out for hidden extras...if you are working in NYC you will be paying NYC taxes as well as Federal and State.

My husband transferred here through his company...although he had an office in NYC...he preferred to be based nearer home.

I presume you are joking about the cultural change.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 2:59 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE!

Old Dec 5th 2006, 4:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

As for healthcare, the company apparently will cover medical and dental insurance for me and the family,as well as start up a 401k or something which is a pension plan. Plus 22 days holidays not including Public holidays.
Check the small print as to whether it is a PPO or HMO, and what the co-pays and deductibles are as they can add up quite a lot, and what the split is, probably 80/20, and what your max cost will be.

and check to see if the sick time is included with the holiday time or seperate.

And welcome to BE
Old Dec 5th 2006, 4:36 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

welcome to B.E. derson

cultural change.... no worries m8y
Old Dec 5th 2006, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

Seahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome derson to BE and the good ol U S of A.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 1:40 am
greenruth1

greenruth1 is a name known to allgreenruth1 is a name known to allgreenruth1 is a name known to allgreenruth1 is a name known to allgreenruth1 is a name known to allgreenruth1 is a name known to allgreenruth1 is a name known to allgreenruth1 is a name known to allgreenruth1 is a name known to allgreenruth1 is a name known to allgreenruth1 is a name known to all

I have been living on Long Island for 5 years now. My commute is 30 minutes into the city from Mineola, so you could rent an apartment on Long Island, it may be a bit cheaper especially if you need more bedrooms for children, but you may be able to find something in the city that meets your needs. The suburbs are very family friendly, with good school districts.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 1:44 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by greenruth1
but you may be able to find something in the city that meets your needs. The suburbs are very family friendly, with good school districts.
She/he's right...the muggers steralise their knives, say "please" and "thank you" and the rapists wear condoms.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 2:04 am
greenruth1

greenruth1 is a name known to allgreenruth1 is a name known to allgreenruth1 is a name known to allgreenruth1 is a name known to allgreenruth1 is a name known to allgreenruth1 is a name known to allgreenruth1 is a name known to allgreenruth1 is a name known to allgreenruth1 is a name known to allgreenruth1 is a name known to allgreenruth1 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Rushman
She/he's right...the muggers steralise their knives, say "please" and "thank you" and the rapists wear condoms.
I miss talking to fellow Brits. I just joined this site as I am not in touch with many over here.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 3:18 am
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and Welcome
Old Dec 12th 2006, 3:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

I miss talking to fellow Brits. I just joined this site as I am not in touch with many over here.
Well stay around mate and welcome to BE
Old Dec 12th 2006, 3:57 am
Just Joined

I'm in NY at the moment working for a week and had a chance to get out to LI at the weekend. The commute seems reasonable, what I'm used to in the UK anyway.

Can you recommend any other family-friendly areas there? We visited Garden City and as much as it was 'purdy' it was very quiet!

I have been living on Long Island for 5 years now. My commute is 30 minutes into the city from Mineola, so you could rent an apartment on Long Island, it may be a bit cheaper especially if you need more bedrooms for children, but you may be able to find something in the city that meets your needs. The suburbs are very family friendly, with good school districts.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

iwantone has much to be proud ofiwantone has much to be proud ofiwantone has much to be proud ofiwantone has much to be proud ofiwantone has much to be proud ofiwantone has much to be proud ofiwantone has much to be proud ofiwantone has much to be proud ofiwantone has much to be proud ofiwantone has much to be proud ofiwantone has much to be proud of

Hi derson,

Another place you will want to check out is in new jersey and it's called Hoboken. Right across the river from manhattan & it takes about 20 mins to get to times square from here. You can take the subway, ferry or bus right from Hoboken into the city. My husband and I live here, we have been in the US for nearly 5 years and we are now extecting our first child. Hoboken is a great place for families and is very popular with british expats. We are also renting here as we initially only came for a 2-3 year stint but have somehow managed to still be here!! The only think I wold say about moving to the "burbs" is that it will be very lonely for your wife. Hoboken is a small town but very english like in some ways & very friendly. Hope this helps & good luck with your move!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.