British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Equivalent of Beecham's cold and flu (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/equivalent-beechams-cold-flu-770698/)

Bink Sep 5th 2012 10:08 pm

Equivalent of Beecham's cold and flu

Hate getting a cold but this has always cleared it up for me in the UK, but I am just completely overwhelmed by cold and flu medicines here...

Anyone know of anything that's similar to Beecham's cold and flu?

ChocolateBabz Sep 5th 2012 10:11 pm

Re: Equivalent of Beecham's cold and flu

Originally Posted by Bink (Post 10265914)
Hate getting a cold but this has always cleared it up for me in the UK, but I am just completely overwhelmed by cold and flu medicines here...

Theraflu is similar to Lemsip powders but don't taste as good, I usually stock up on Lemsip when I am home.

Nyquil is a mixture, you can buy a 2 pack day/night. The night is pretty good at bedtime.

Bink Sep 5th 2012 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz (Post 10265922)
Theraflu is similar to Lemsip powders but don't taste as good, I usually stock up on Lemsip when I am home.

Nyquil is a mixture, you can buy a 2 pack day/night. The night is pretty good at bedtime.

Thanks!

My brain was wracking for the other brand, Lemsip. Something else to stock up on next time I'm home...

kimilseung Sep 5th 2012 10:16 pm

Not a direct equivalent, but something good to take when you feel a cold coming on. Emergn-C

Bob Sep 6th 2012 12:40 am

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 10265929)
Not a direct equivalent, but something good to take when you feel a cold coming on. Emergn-C

That stuff tastes like the strained off sweat from a hobos underpants.

It is frankly minging....in whatever flavour.

Nyquil is probably the most similar to the UK stuff, but doesn't taste as good, but a shot of honey makes it bearable.

sir_eccles Sep 6th 2012 12:46 am

Bourbon

MadRad Sep 6th 2012 3:04 am

Theraflu works by tasting so vile you feel a constant urge to throw up while you're forcing it down, so you don't notice how rotten your cold has been making you feel. Quite a clever tactic really.

Mummy in the foothills Sep 6th 2012 3:30 pm

We use Niquil here too, it seems to be the same as Night Nurse. We use the capsules.

Macca67 Sep 6th 2012 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Bink (Post 10265914)

Two aspirins and a cup of coffee for the caffeine. Ingredients-wise, that's all Beecham's really amounts to.

WEBlue Sep 7th 2012 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 10265929)

Well, it's not equivalent at all, except in that it's a powder you dissolve in water. It doesn't seem to have any medication in it, not decongestant or pain reliever or even real lemon like the Lemsip & other powders. All it appears to have is lots of vitamins & some minerals, with something like 1000% of the daily recommended dose of Vitamin C, and lesser amounts of other vitamins. Mega-doses of Vit. C are supposed to be good for a cold or flu, and the other vitamins & minerals can't hurt & may help, but it can't be considered "medicinal" in the way Lemsip & that ilk are, IMO.

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10266112)
That stuff tastes like the strained off sweat from a hobos underpants.
It is frankly minging....in whatever flavour.

Originally Posted by MadRad (Post 10266260)
Theraflu works by tasting so vile you feel a constant urge to throw up while you're forcing it down, so you don't notice how rotten your cold has been making you feel. Quite a clever tactic really.

:lol: We brought a batch of Lemsip in the sachets over here with us, but when we ran out, family members based here recommended Emergen-C. I don't think it's as terrible tasting as the Lemsip powder, but it also doesn't jolt me into feeling somewhat better the way Lemsip often did (once I had managed to choke it down)....

Lion in Winter Sep 7th 2012 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 10266124)
Bourbon

+1

BritishGuy36 Sep 7th 2012 8:16 pm

I don't use any of that stuff, I find that Zicam is by far the most effective symptom and duration reducer for cold/flu.

MsElui Sep 10th 2012 3:36 am

yes- lemsip (placebo par excellence) is the one of the very few remaining things we bring back from the uk now. Im quite happy to swap nyquil for nightnurse but theraflu is vile and doesnt make me feel better lol.