British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Equifax and SSN wording (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/equifax-ssn-wording-843727/)

Marc_ely Sep 23rd 2014 4:55 pm

Equifax and SSN wording

I've been here 9 months on a H1B.
We are in the process of finding a new rental as our landlady is the bitch from hell.

I need to present a credit check as part of the rental application. I tried one of the 3 bureau checkers (Privacyguard) and the result came back with errors.

They told me Equifax is not showing a check.
I call Equifax and am told to send copies of my SSN and drivers license (CA).

I call them again to check on progress and the guy on the phone tells me that because of the wording on my SSN card I am NEVER going to get an Equifax credit rating. I find this tricky to believe so I thought I'd ask on here.

The wording on my SSN card says:
" Valid for Work only with DHS authorization"

Do all H1B (or other visa) holders cards say this now? Should it say that?
Google tells me it's one of 3 sets of words that can be on an SSN, but all should allow credit checking.

The whole credit history thing in this country really gets on my tits.

sir_eccles Sep 23rd 2014 5:12 pm

Re: Equifax and SSN wording

You haven't been in the country long enough to generate a credit history. Some things will only report after 6 months but many will only be after 12 months.

Just to add, never heard of privacyguard. The only place you should go to get your credit report is https://www.annualcreditreport.com

Be aware there are rental scams out there that insist you use a specific credit report.

Pulaski Sep 23rd 2014 5:21 pm

Your SSN card is correct. Your SSN number is for life, but your right to work is limited to life of your visa, so unless/ until you become a permanent resident or citizen your SSN card is always going to say that you require (separate) authorization to work.

That said, I don't see that requiring separate authorization to work has any relevance to you establishing a credit history and checking that history.

Owen778 Sep 23rd 2014 5:29 pm

Yes, it should say that on a SSN card for anyone who is restricted to work for one employer. Mine says the same, at least until I get my EAD.

The man on the phone is, however, an idiot.

Marc_ely Sep 23rd 2014 6:01 pm

Thanks for the responses.
I've managed to get Experian and Transunion as separate scores with no problem, so I've submitted those with my application for now.

Up to now I've just looked at the free CreditKarma place. This gave me a score from a couple of months stay.

I will look into the EAD as support for the SSN.

Owen778 Sep 23rd 2014 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Marc_ely (Post 11415727)
I will look into the EAD as support for the SSN.

Not sure what you mean by that. You will only get an EAD if you apply for a green card.

Bob Sep 23rd 2014 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by Owen778 (Post 11415763)
Not sure what you mean by that. You will only get an EAD if you apply for a green card.

And it won't make any difference to credit history.

Over here, unless you've got credit, there won't be anything to report unless you've got late payments, as utilities don't report anything else.

Noorah101 Sep 23rd 2014 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by Owen778 (Post 11415687)
Yes, it should say that on a SSN card for anyone who is restricted to work for one employer. Mine says the same, at least until I get my EAD.

The man on the phone is, however, an idiot.

Your SS Card will still say that, even with an EAD. You can't get that legend removed until you become a US PR (get your green card).

Rene

Owen778 Sep 24th 2014 12:20 am

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 11416132)
Your SS Card will still say that, even with an EAD. You can't get that legend removed until you become a US PR (get your green card).

Rene

That's useful to know, thanks.

Pulaski Sep 24th 2014 12:48 am

Originally Posted by Owen778 (Post 11416192)

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 11416132)
Your SS Card will still say that, even with an EAD. You can't get that legend removed until you become a US PR (get your green card). .....

That's useful to know, thanks.

Which is what I said in post #3, above. :nod:

Owen778 Sep 24th 2014 12:52 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11416213)
Which is what I said in post #3, above. :nod:

True. The difference is that Rene spelled out that EAD itself doesn't make a difference. Feel free to blame it on me being slow.

Pulaski Sep 24th 2014 1:15 am

Originally Posted by Owen778 (Post 11416217)
True. The difference is that Rene spelled out that EAD itself doesn't make a difference. Feel free to blame it on me being slow.

True, I could/ should have mentioned EAD. :o I just said "always", meaning "under all circumstances". :unsure:

bewildering Sep 24th 2014 3:06 am

Originally Posted by Marc_ely (Post 11415647)
I've been here 9 months on a H1B.
We are in the process of finding a new rental as our landlady is the bitch from hell.

Do you work for major company, or an academic institution? In San Diego Landlords and management companies love tenants who are academics (Salk, Scripps or UCSD) or high tech workers (Qualcomm, Illumina etc.). It does not matter if you do not have credit history as long as you have a reason (eg foreign), and proof of employment.

Make sure when looking at places to mention you are an H1B holder and employed as an engineer at xxxxx.

Although this San Diego, which is a small town sort of place pretending to be a city. Perhaps the OC is different.

JAJ Sep 24th 2014 3:15 am

Originally Posted by Marc_ely (Post 11415647)
I call them again to check on progress and the guy on the phone tells me that because of the wording on my SSN card I am NEVER going to get an Equifax credit rating. I find this tricky to believe so I thought I'd ask on here.

The wording on my SSN card says:
" Valid for Work only with DHS authorization"

Do all H1B (or other visa) holders cards say this now? Should it say that?
Google tells me it's one of 3 sets of words that can be on an SSN, but all should allow credit checking.

As others have said, your credit history is based on your SSN. The fact that your Social Security card is restricted (which it will be unless you get a green card and then inform the Social Security Administration) should not affect your credit file. Now, a credit provider may ask you if you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, and if you answer No, then may apply additional criteria.

NatashaB Sep 25th 2014 3:25 pm

My SSN card says similar, I was on an L2 originally. I now have a green card but haven't got around to getting the SSN wording changed yet. Early on I always hit problems when applying for credit and got a standard 'we were unable to approve you immediately online, we will write to you with a decision' type message. When I tried to get my free copies of my credit reports I got an error message. I think it takes a while for the credit card companies to pick you up on their systems, I don't think that's anything to do with the wording on your SSN card. Have you tried Experian yet?