British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   epassport.com photos (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/epassport-com-photos-821755/)

lansbury Jan 15th 2014 11:43 pm

epassport.com photos

OK so having failed to get passport photos locally I followed the recommendation of a BE member and used epassport .com. The photos turned out well considering Mrs L took them against a wall at home. Mind you I do look like I have one foot in the grave.

Anyway the point of this post is this. The photos were in fact printed by Snapfish and came as a block of 4 passport size photos. Do I cut 2 out and leave them joined or cut out 2 individual photos and send those? Has anyone experience as to what the office in Durham will or will not accept. I ask because the instructions say something about not cutting photos down to size.

Mr Weeze Jan 16th 2014 12:01 am

Re: epassport.com photos

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 11080600)
OK so having failed to get passport photos locally I followed the recommendation of a BE member and used epassport .com. The photos turned out well considering Mrs L took them against a wall at home. Mind you I do look like I have one foot in the grave.

Anyway the point of this post is this. The photos were in fact printed by Snapfish and came as a block of 4 passport size photos. Do I cut 2 out and leave them joined or cut out 2 individual photos and send those? Has anyone experience as to what the office in Durham will or will not accept. I ask because the instructions say something about not cutting photos down to size.

For years now I have done them at home on photo paper myself. I draw a box 45mm x 35mm in word and crop the photo to be the right size, leaving a small white boarder. I cut them out to size. I've never had any rejected for kids or adults.

I've just been doing some tonight for mini-weeze

Bob Jan 16th 2014 12:27 am

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 11080600)

Don't cut them.

I used the site when I did my passport, a while back. But I got the pics printed at Target doing the free option, so 20c instead of them doing it.

notonuksoil Jan 16th 2014 2:51 am

I got my kids done at Walgreens this past October however the girl working the counter couldn't understand I wanted the UK size passport photo. I got a ruler from the stationary section of the store checked the dimensions of the kids head was right according to the UK passport size chart then cut them myself to the right size when I got home. Had no problems getting the new passports from Durham they arrived withing 2 weeks of sending the application.

Markie Jan 16th 2014 3:16 am

Absolutely cut them to the correct size. The instructions mean don't cut them out of a group shot or something. Any portrait studio taking passport photos will be cutting them out - they don't make 35 or 45 mm paper rolls :)

lansbury Jan 16th 2014 3:59 am

Cheers, I couldn't see why cutting would be a problem but wanted to double checked as sorting something with someone back in the UK is a hassle I would like to avoid.

Bob Jan 16th 2014 4:07 am

Originally Posted by Markie (Post 11080815)
Absolutely cut them to the correct size. The instructions mean don't cut them out of a group shot or something. Any portrait studio taking passport photos will be cutting them out - they don't make 35 or 45 mm paper rolls :)

But it doesn't matter these days as the pics are scanned and cropped digitally, so it's better to not cut them out.

RICH Jan 16th 2014 4:29 am

I can't see what the issue would be either way, and I can't recall anyone on here ever reporting a passport application being rejected/delayed due to wrong picture size anyway.:fingerscrossed:

Markie Jan 16th 2014 7:12 am

Originally Posted by RICH (Post 11080862)
I can't see what the issue would be either way, and I can't recall anyone on here ever reporting a passport application being rejected/delayed due to wrong picture size anyway.:fingerscrossed:

Exactly. I had no issue with my correct size (hand cut at that! But very carefully) photos and the advice line told me I'd have no issue with US size photos as long as my head was the right size. They don't really care I don't think but I figured I should follow the instructions to the letter.

lansbury Jan 16th 2014 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by RICH (Post 11080862)

Nor can I, but things are not done in Washington DC anymore but in Durham UK so I thought it prudent to see if anyone had experience with that office and photos.

If I hadn't been on BE I would have just sent a strip of 2 photos and been done with it. But BE is a good resource of information so heck for the few minutes to type a question why not check.

mmhendrie Jan 16th 2014 5:30 pm

I've used this technique myself in photoshop:

http://resources.alibaba.com/topic/3...photoshop_.htm

It allows for the exact distance requirements (head size) etc. to be correctly calculated. Took a bunch of pics of my boy, did this, then pasted 6 of them into a 4x6 canvas size and had it printed at CVS. Sent them in with his passport application, and never an issue - came out great. For less then $1 I had 6 photo's, and as i took them myself, I could be assued they were good! I'll never do it any other way now...

-Matt

ScousePete Jan 16th 2014 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by mmhendrie (Post 11081902)
For less then $1 I had 6 photo's

-Matt

Plus the cost of Photoshop :p

mmhendrie Jan 16th 2014 10:34 pm

1 Attachment(s)
well sure, I had it already, but use what ya got, or there's plenty of free tools out there that do the same thing. Point being, with standard tech most people have in their home, there's no need to be stuck over a barrel on cost/finding a place to do a passport photo. And you don't end up stuck with a photo you hate for 10yrs also.

Here's the ones i did for my boy's Brit passport when he was 10months old (he has dual) - i think the Brit had less requirements then the US - but either way, took 20mins at home, spent less than a buck to print..:
Attachment 115675
-Matt

RICH Jan 18th 2014 4:04 am

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 11081807)
Nor can I, but things are not done in Washington DC anymore but in Durham UK so I thought it prudent to see if anyone had experience with that office and photos.

If I hadn't been on BE I would have just sent a strip of 2 photos and been done with it. But BE is a good resource of information so heck for the few minutes to type a question why not check.

Indeed. I know it is new. I hope it is not an issue. I'll be happy to read your experience. Mine is due for renewal in 3 or 4 years.:)

lansbury Jan 18th 2014 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by RICH (Post 11084248)
Indeed. I know it is new. I hope it is not an issue. I'll be happy to read your experience. Mine is due for renewal in 3 or 4 years.:)

I sent a strip of 2 photos. Will find out soon as the UPS envelope is in Tamworth UK on is way to Durham for Monday delivery.