Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The entirely optional "Lets say 10 nice things about Septics" thread

The entirely optional "Lets say 10 nice things about Septics" thread

Old Apr 1st 2007, 11:46 am

Lycanthrop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The entirely optional "Lets say 10 nice things about Septics" thread

Seeing as July 4th is just around the corner (depending on which calender you use) Might it be nice to list 10 nice things about our post-colonial cousins here in this slightly oversized country? Just for a change......

Starter for 10:

1. They are quite friendly
2. They like children
3. They are interested in foreigners
4. They like English accents and its therefore easier to get laid
5. They give good service at restaurants
6. They like to discuss cars, fishing, hunting and recreation in general
7. They love/hate politics and like to complain about Government
8. They shower a lot and are pretty interested in personal hygene
9. They actually do produce some decent humour (Colbert show, Robin Williams, Jim Carey........)
10. They let off fireworks when it isn't pissing down with rain........IN THE SUMMERTIME.........duh!
Old Apr 1st 2007, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The entirely optional "Lets say 10 nice things about Septics" thread

Hmmm will probably repeat some of yours, and my disclaimer is this is a total generalisation based only on my experience and observations.

1. They are very friendly.
2. They are very complimentary.
3. They love kids.
4. They are patriotic (this is also one of my hates).
5. They place emphasis on family and community (more so than Brits).
6. They provide more community recreational activities.
7. They make some good movies
8. Ummm can't think of any more, but if I do I'll come back and add
Old Apr 1st 2007, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The entirely optional "Lets say 10 nice things about Septics" thread

Originally Posted by Lycanthrop
Seeing as July 4th is just around the corner (depending on which calender you use) Might it be nice to list 10 nice things about our post-colonial cousins here in this slightly oversized country? Just for a change......

Starter for 10:

2. They like children
9. They actually do produce some decent humour (Colbert show, Robin Williams, Jim Carey........)
10. They let off fireworks when it isn't pissing down with rain........IN THE SUMMERTIME.........duh!
1. they make a great apple pie. : )
2. being fat does not mean ur the odd one out!! ( a aint that bad hone
3. there are more dead animals on the roads than i see live ones in zoos back home! (a plus because half of them i cant name so probably better off dead because live they would probably scare the living hell out of me)
4 Its ok to drive around with a dead deer on ur mini metro therefore vision is impared but who the hell cares u got a dead deer !!!
5. No one gives a damn if u get dressed in the morning!! No strange looks if u go shopping in the fluffy slippers, and pjs.
6. SO many different people from different countries its actually quite nice.
7. they seem to work hard and play hard.
8. as long as ur car has four wheels u can drive it. great idea. the body work can be a bit dodgy but the wheels are important
9. they love sports. And actually go and watch them. GREAT
10. so many tv programmes i am spoilt for choice!!!
Old Apr 1st 2007, 12:47 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Seeing as July 4th is just around the corner (depending on which calender you use)
What kind of calendar do you use that has 3 months away as a "corner"??

1. They are very friendly.
2. They like children and most every facility is child friendly.
3. They are optimists.
4. They like British accents and it's therefore easier to get laid. Worked for me when I met my wife to be. But not since. And that's a good thing.
5. They give good customer service everywhere.
6. They have a can do attitude.
7. They are proud of their country.
8. They invented right on red. OK, stretching it a bit now.
9. They saved our asses in Vietnam. OK, I've definitely run out.

Last edited by DaveC; Apr 1st 2007 at 12:52 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 1:06 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, I'll have a go...

They colonised a beautiful country (hang on - was that us?)
They instituted the division of church and state (though implementation is sadly lacking)
They are very friendly - albeit it often in a superficial sort of way
They are mostly very polite
They make some good movies
They have some of the best unis in the world
They do tons of cutting-edge research in all kinds of fields
They invented outlets
They invented the insinkorator
(Struggling now...)
Eurika: They invented the programmable coffee-maker (no idea whether they did or not, but it's the sort of thing I imagine Amerians would think of 'needing'... )
Old Apr 1st 2007, 1:17 pm
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point

Starter for 10:

So are British people.
2. They like children
So do pedophiles.
'Interested' good choice of word, doesn't mean they like foreigners though.
That's 'cos wait staff get paid shit with usually no benefits at all so rely on tips.
All stuff you can do on weekends, rarely will they discuss stuff you can do or places to go on a 2 week vacation ( You might as well just say "Hello, I just came down from Mars on my big purple spaceship)
Try saying you don't like the president (or even alluding to) with a lot of them then, I guess you like him or don't mention it in conversation.
Why do so many people not wash their hands after having a crap then?
9. They actually do produce some decent humour (Colbert show, Robin Williams, Jim Carey........) John Colbert or coal bear is seldom funny IMO.
10. They let off fireworks when it isn't pissing down with rain........IN THE SUMMERTIME.........duh! Maybe Mr Fawkes should have bombed parliament in June then, I'll take a massive roaring bonfire on a cold November night, burning an effigy over "Fireworks at the beach"
Old Apr 1st 2007, 1:23 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, cant think of a thing!
Old Apr 1st 2007, 1:33 pm
I'm older but no wiser!

ScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud of

1. They are friendly
2. They are generous of heart... most give a lot to charity
3. They really do love kids
4. Seem to have a more laid back attitude in their approach to life
5. They are very chatty and friendly to Brits
6. The weather is awesome (and I live in Texas... yes, I love the HEAT!)
7. It's easy to shop... parking is not miles away
8. Get a lot more house/car for your money!
9. They have lots of drive-thru's!!!
10. Big fridges and beer fridges... gotta love that!
Old Apr 1st 2007, 1:46 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Who takes 2 weeks straight vacation, unless they're furrigners ????

Originally Posted by cabritpop

Starter for 10:

So are British people.
2. They like children
So do pedophiles.
'Interested' good choice of word, doesn't mean they like foreigners though.
That's 'cos wait staff get paid shit with usually no benefits at all so rely on tips.
All stuff you can do on weekends, rarely will they discuss stuff you can do or places to go on a 2 week vacation ( You might as well just say "Hello, I just came down from Mars on my big purple spaceship)
Try saying you don't like the president (or even alluding to) with a lot of them then, I guess you like him or don't mention it in conversation.
Why do so many people not wash their hands after having a crap then?
9. They actually do produce some decent humour (Colbert show, Robin Williams, Jim Carey........) John Colbert or coal bear is seldom funny IMO.
10. They let off fireworks when it isn't pissing down with rain........IN THE SUMMERTIME.........duh! Maybe Mr Fawkes should have bombed parliament in June then, I'll take a massive roaring bonfire on a cold November night, burning an effigy over "Fireworks at the beach"
Old Apr 1st 2007, 1:50 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScillyBrit
4. Seem to have a more laid back attitude in their approach to life........
Old Apr 1st 2007, 1:55 pm
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Who takes 2 weeks straight vacation, unless they're furrigners ????
If you ask for more than 1 week off at a time, you may as well say you are a paid up member of the Communist party.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 1:55 pm
I'm older but no wiser!

ScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Elvira
Just my experience of those around me...
Old Apr 1st 2007, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cabritpop
If you ask for more than 1 week off at a time, you may as well say you are a paid up member of the Communist party.
LOL!

That's one reason I didn't go back to work when I moved here! Holiday & sick leave suck!! That said, now we run our own company and get 0 days off a year
Old Apr 1st 2007, 2:16 pm
Homebody

Wink Re: The entirely optional "Lets say 10 nice things about Septics" thread

I was wondering how long it would take to turn this thread around!

Old Apr 1st 2007, 2:20 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by danfan
LOL!

That's one reason I didn't go back to work when I moved here! Holiday & sick leave suck!! That said, now we run our own company and get 0 days off a year
Sounds like us too then At least we can take off as much as we want..in theory that is

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.