British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Entering USA with paperless I-94 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/entering-usa-paperless-i-94-a-796439/)

yellowroom May 8th 2013 6:27 pm

Entering USA with paperless I-94

Hi,

Posting this here rather than the visa section as it applies to people already here who may be as clueless as me.

Anyway, I've just returned to the US from a trip to Europe and I've entered via Newark and the paperless I-94 (I'm on an L1-B).

I knew nothing about the phasing out of the paper I-94, obviously not paying attention to the correct forums. :o. Anyway, all seemed to go smoothly with a couple of minor exceptions:
  • Signage and automatic announcements still say to complete the form
  • The employees directing arrivals in the immigration hall had no clue and were quite rude. However, the immigration officer was very helpful.

Also the immigration officer asked for a business card. I've not arrived via Newark for a long while. So I don't know whether this is normal for this airport or a new thing to go with the new procedure.

Overall took less time to process me so a good thing IMHO.

sir_eccles May 8th 2013 6:38 pm

Re: Entering USA with paperless I-94

See recent thread:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=795751

yellowroom May 8th 2013 6:44 pm

Thanks - I found that thread after the fact but the problem with it is that those of us who got our visas a while back may not check that forum very often. I don't anyway.

jeffreyhy May 8th 2013 6:45 pm

Did you have a business card to give the CBP officer? Just wondering what migt have happened if you did not have one available.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by yellowroom (Post 10698665)
Also the immigration officer asked for a business card. I've not arrived via Newark for a long while. So I don't know whether this is normal for this airport or a new thing to go with the new procedure.

jeffreyhy May 8th 2013 6:47 pm

But, since you are still involved with US immigration, you don't subscribe to USCIS and CBP e-mail services to receive notice of news items and changes in policy or procedure? :blink:

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by yellowroom (Post 10698702)
Thanks - I found that thread after the fact but the problem with it is that those of us who got our visas a while back may not check that forum very often. I don't anyway.

Orangepants May 8th 2013 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by yellowroom (Post 10698665)
Hi,

Posting this here rather than the visa section as it applies to people already here who may be as clueless as me.

Anyway, I've just returned to the US from a trip to Europe and I've entered via Newark and the paperless I-94 (I'm on an L1-B).

I knew nothing about the phasing out of the paper I-94, obviously not paying attention to the correct forums. :o. Anyway, all seemed to go smoothly with a couple of minor exceptions:
  • Signage and automatic announcements still say to complete the form
  • The employees directing arrivals in the immigration hall had no clue and were quite rude. However, the immigration officer was very helpful.

Overall took less time to process me so a good thing IMHO.

Asked to see a business card or asked to see it and then kept it?

yellowroom May 8th 2013 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy (Post 10698703)
Did you have a business card to give the CBP officer? Just wondering what migt have happened if you did not have one available.

Regards, JEff

Yes, I had one to hand. No idea what would have happened otherwise, the request came after the question on what my job is. Perhaps presenting the card bypassed the need for other questions?. I just mentioned it because it was new to me, will make sure I keep a couple with my passport now!

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy (Post 10698706)
But, since you are still involved with US immigration, you don't subscribe to USCIS and CBP e-mail services to receive notice of news items and changes in policy or procedure? :blink:

Er, pass. I was not aware of those. TBH I was expecting the company lawyer to be keeping me up to date on anything major (and I don't count this as major). I obviously need to do some googling and bookmarking. And read the I migrations nd visa forum more often.

yellowroom May 8th 2013 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Orangepants (Post 10698714)
Asked to see a business card or asked to see it and then kept it?

he gave it back to me once he'd seen it.

jeffreyhy May 8th 2013 7:22 pm

That would be my guess also.

Originally Posted by yellowroom (Post 10698717)
Perhaps presenting the card bypassed the need for other questions?

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...00082ca60aRCRD
CBP has an RSS feed for news releases.

Originally Posted by yellowroom (Post 10698717)
Er, pass. I was not aware of those.

Regards, JEff