British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Entering the USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/entering-usa-602680/)

californiadreamin Apr 9th 2009 12:48 pm

Entering the USA

Hi all and my first post here,

I am currently thinking about buying a holiday home in the USA in the very near future and would like some ideas from people who have purchased holiday homes there already. I`ve read lots of stuff but no substitute from hearing from people that have done similiar.

I know that as a Brit I am entitled to 90 days each time I enter with a return ticket and sufficient finds. Would like to know is it better to just come for a straight 3 months at a time or say 3 seperate trips of 1 month each? Also there is the possibility that my work will send me to Mexico for work purposes, if this is the case I would be able to visit the USA reguarly throughout the year for say a couple of weeks every 3 months or so. What I`m trying to fathom, is it better to go on fewer but longer trips there or more but shorter trips there, Obviously if I`m buying a holiday home there I don`t want to be refused entry when I decide to visit.

Also worried about leaving a property empty for long periods of time and would like to know what type of housing insurance I would need to cover the property?

Any advice is most welcome.

Cheers

penguinsix Apr 9th 2009 1:00 pm

Re: Entering the USA

First, 'entitled' is the wrong word. You are 'granted' a 90 day visa waiver, but the list is long and onerous of ways you can rejected for that (don't ever get in a bust up in a pub for example).

Generally, you should budget spending as much time overseas (i.e. over the ocean) as you spend in the US. So 3 months here 3 months at home. If you read the fine print of the VWP trips to Mexico/Canada and the islands of the Caribbean do not 'reset' the 90 days--it's 90 days inclusive of trips to those places.

As for insurance, it will really depend on where you are living. Are you considering a straight purchase or a time share?

californiadreamin Apr 9th 2009 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 7466092)
First, 'entitled' is the wrong word. You are 'granted' a 90 day visa waiver, but the list is long and onerous of ways you can rejected for that (don't ever get in a bust up in a pub for example).

Generally, you should budget spending as much time overseas (i.e. over the ocean) as you spend in the US. So 3 months here 3 months at home. If you read the fine print of the VWP trips to Mexico/Canada and the islands of the Caribbean do not 'reset' the 90 days--it's 90 days inclusive of trips to those places.

As for insurance, it will really depend on where you are living. Are you considering a straight purchase or a time share?

I am looking to buy as a straight purchase and hopefully in California. My main concern is not being able to enter the USA when I want (keeping in the rules of course) because a holiday home is no good to me if I don`t have access to it.

Rete Apr 9th 2009 1:26 pm

I'm sure you meant to type "my main concern is being able to enter".

The crux of the matter is that there is no guarantee that you will get to the POE and be allowed to enter the US for the pleasurable enjoyment of your holiday home.

Penguinsix gave you the skeletal basis of the VWP and the rules for entry and re-entry. You must bear in mind that the agent at the POE has the power to decision your fate. The fact that you own property could be seen as having immigration intent. To help offset that impression you need to spend as much time out of the US as you do inside of it. I would never recommend that you spend more than 2 90 day visits a year. In fact just 1 90 day visit is probably the safest way for you to go. Since you want California and you sometimes work in Mexico, why don't you buy that vacation property in Mexco instead?

californiadreamin Apr 9th 2009 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 7466177)
I'm sure you meant to type "my main concern is being able to enter".

The crux of the matter is that there is no guarantee that you will get to the POE and be allowed to enter the US for the pleasurable enjoyment of your holiday home.

Penguinsix gave you the skeletal basis of the VWP and the rules for entry and re-entry. You must bear in mind that the agent at the POE has the power to decision your fate. The fact that you own property could be seen as having immigration intent. To help offset that impression you need to spend as much time out of the US as you do inside of it. I would never recommend that you spend more than 2 90 day visits a year. In fact just 1 90 day visit is probably the safest way for you to go. Since you want California and you sometimes work in Mexico, why don't you buy that vacation property in Mexco instead?

90 days would be the absolute max I would be able to spend in the states anyway. When you mention POE I assume you mean departure airport whether this be in the UK or Mexico?

I`ve never been to Mexico, so by going there for work it will be my first trip but to be honest I find the idea of buying a property in a more stable environment like the USA far more appealing and like the idea of an american investment as opposed to a mexican one. Obviously though, the only concern is being refused entry as this is the thing that stops be jumping right in and buying a US property.

lisa67 Apr 9th 2009 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by californiadreamin (Post 7466215)
90 days would be the absolute max I would be able to spend in the states anyway. When you mention POE I assume you mean departure airport whether this be in the UK or Mexico?

I`ve never been to Mexico, so by going there for work it will be my first trip but to be honest I find the idea of buying a property in a more stable environment like the USA far more appealing and like the idea of an american investment as opposed to a mexican one. Obviously though, the only concern is being refused entry as this is the thing that stops be jumping right in and buying a US property.

POE = port of entry (not usually at the departure airport, but I think it is in Dublin)

Mummy in the foothills Apr 9th 2009 2:25 pm

When you get to Mexico and spend some time there you will find lots of vacation homes frequented by USC's and also retirement communities also filled with USC's It sort of like Spain for the Americans only a bit dodgy in some parts. I wouldn't want to hang out near the border, but places like Cabo San Lucas are really nice and our friends have a time share there and love it.

Rete Apr 9th 2009 2:40 pm

POE = port/point of entry

Originally Posted by californiadreamin (Post 7466215)

caleyjag Apr 9th 2009 3:03 pm

If you get out into rural mexico it can be quite excellent.

I don't know if I would use Cabo as the best example though - like any resort town, you only have to toddle a bit down the street to find a pretty grim slum.

I agree in that i do know a lot of Californians who have a holiday pad in Baja.

How's your spanish?

californiadreamin Apr 9th 2009 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by caleyjag (Post 7466494)
If you get out into rural mexico it can be quite excellent.

I don't know if I would use Cabo as the best example though - like any resort town, you only have to toddle a bit down the street to find a pretty grim slum.

I agree in that i do know a lot of Californians who have a holiday pad in Baja.

How's your spanish?

Pretty good as I lived in Spain for 3 years and made the effort of learning it and keeping it fresh despite being in the UK.