Reload this Page >

Entering US with my son...

Entering US with my son...

Old Aug 2nd 2012, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

vdubug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Entering US with my son...

Hello All,

Hope you can help, as I can't find a definitive answer.

My wife and I live in the UK (I am British). My wife is American and both my kids have dual-citizenship. We are travelling to the US next week for a family wedding. My son and I are travelling a day early to spend some extra time in NYC. My wife following the next day, separately.

My son will have to enter the US with his American passport, do we need any other form of documentation, as we will be entering the US without my wife? We have never travelled separately before...does she need to provide any kind of permission?

Any answers or if you know of a thread that covers this would be really appreciated!

Thanks,

Pete
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 1:38 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Entering US with my son...

CBP says you should have a letter from your wife.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...ot-a-parent-or
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

Very useful! Many many thanks!
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 5:45 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vdubug
Very useful! Many many thanks!
The advice in the CBP bulletin is for people leaving the USA. However the exact same advice is applicable to people leaving the UK in those circumstances.

You might be asked for it leaving the UK, I doubt you will be ask for it entering the US. Be interested to know if you are at either end.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

I will update the post with my experience later next week.

Thanks for all your help!
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

SEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to behold

For what it's worth, I am UKC, wife is USC, 2 x kids are USC.

I have travelled with one or other of the kids back and forth to London many times without the missus, and nothing has ever been said. Never a question asked.

I've always had a return ticket, and the trips have always been under a month. We go through the local immigation lines both sides (I have a Green Card).
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 9:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SEL_boy
For what it's worth, I am UKC, wife is USC, 2 x kids are USC.

I have travelled with one or other of the kids back and forth to London many times without the missus, and nothing has ever been said. Never a question asked.

I've always had a return ticket, and the trips have always been under a month. We go through the local immigation lines both sides (I have a Green Card).
Many of us have had the same experience...but it's better to be safe than sorry and carry the letter with you.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with those who say to take the letter. It's easy to create a letter and it will give you peace of mind.

My wife and I have travelled many times under similar circumstances. Usually we're never asked any questions. Sometimes we're asked if the other parent knows about the trip and a simple "yes, I have a letter" is usually sufficient without actually having to produce the letter. However, a couple of times the immigration officer actually inspected the letter. Make sure the letter contains contact numbers in case the immigration officer decides to make a call.

I would suggest having a photocopy of your wife's passport on the flip side of the letter. Also, it's not clear from your post whether your wife is travelling with one of your children. If so, remember to have your wife take her own letter (with a photocopy of your passport on the flip side).
Old Aug 6th 2012, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

SEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to behold

If you do take a letter, do as the CBP recommend and take the time and spend the money (less than $10 usually) to get the letter notarized.

A simple letter you write yourself is really not worth the paper it's written on if they decide to stick their oar in. Getting it notarized will give the impression that's it's legal and official.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 12:18 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SEL_boy
If you do take a letter, do as the CBP recommend and take the time and spend the money (less than $10 usually) to get the letter notarized.
Most town halls will have some one do it for free for town residents and same with most banks having someone who could do it free for customers.

And chances are, someone at most high schools, if you've got kids of high school age.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 3:32 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I agree with those who say to take the letter. It's easy to create a letter and it will give you peace of mind.

My wife and I have travelled many times under similar circumstances. Usually we're never asked any questions. Sometimes we're asked if the other parent knows about the trip and a simple "yes, I have a letter" is usually sufficient without actually having to produce the letter. However, a couple of times the immigration officer actually inspected the letter. Make sure the letter contains contact numbers in case the immigration officer decides to make a call.
Note that these letters are not a legal requirement in either the United Kingdom or United States. That's not to say you shouldn't have one as evidence if questions are asked, but you should not volunteer that you have one unless asked (you probably will not be asked).

Canada is a little different, same applies regarding legalities, however being asked to produce a letter is much more common.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Note that these letters are not a legal requirement in either the United Kingdom or United States. That's not to say you shouldn't have one as evidence if questions are asked, but you should not volunteer that you have one unless asked (you probably will not be asked).
Right - not a legal requirement but it can grease the wheels. I never offer the letter unless the questions start. My wife and I have travelled many times as a lone parent with one or more of our kids. In our experience, the younger the child is, the more likely you are going to be asked questions. Also, we have noticed that I have been asked more questions than my wife has - so there definitely seems to be less suspicion when the mother is travelling with the children.

Originally Posted by JAJ
Canada is a little different, same applies regarding legalities, however being asked to produce a letter is much more common.
I haven't found any difference between Canada and the US. US CBP recommends that a lone parent have a notarized letter.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...ot-a-parent-or

Last edited by MarylandNed; Aug 9th 2012 at 3:56 am.