Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Entering US with jewelry

Entering US with jewelry

Old May 6th 2002, 1:19 am
Forum Regular

wildxena is on a distinguished road
Default Entering US with jewelry

My parents are about to come over and attend my wedding. Due to our traditional Chinese wedding culture, my relatives bought me lots of gold necklaces and bracelaces, some bought me diamond necklaces and my parents got us engraved wedding bands. Since my parents will have to bring all them over to me as wedding gifts, would the US custom allow them to bring them over by simply telling them they are my wedding gift (which they are)? They are just worried that the US custom will tax them for all those jewelries. Would the US custom really do that?
Do they need to show the US custom our wedding invite as a proof?

They will be here in 10 days, could anyone advise me on that? Anyone have similar experience?

Thanks.
Old May 6th 2002, 5:00 pm
M

Default Re: Entering US with jewelry

They MUST declare them on the custom form and their fair market value. Otherwise they
risk being fined and have those jewelries confiscated. Even it's levied the import
duty into U.S is quite low.

Last time when I came back from China I witnessed someone being fined for failing to
declare some beef jerky at SFO. Definitely not worth the risk.

wildxena <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > My parents are about to come over and attend my wedding. Due to our traditional
    > Chinese wedding culture, my relatives bought me lots of gold necklaces and
    > bracelaces, some bought me diamond necklaces and my parents got us engraved wedding
    > bands. Since my parents will have to bring all them over to me as wedding gifts,
    > would the US custom allow them to bring them over by simply telling them they are
    > my wedding gift (which they are)? They are just worried that the US custom will tax
    > them for all those jewelries. Would the US custom really do that? Do they need to
    > show the US custom our wedding invite as a proof?
    >
    > They will be here in 10 days, could anyone advise me on that? Anyone have similar
    > experience?
    >
    > Thanks.

Old May 6th 2002, 10:30 pm
Liwen Liang

Your parent probably need to declare them on the custom form like the other poster
suggested. But beef is a totally different issue, you are not allowed to take those
meat product in. It has nothing to do with weather you declare it or not, it is not
supposed to be there!

[email protected] (M) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > They MUST declare them on the custom form and their fair market value. Otherwise
    > they risk being fined and have those jewelries confiscated. Even it's levied the
    > import duty into U.S is quite low.
    >
    > Last time when I came back from China I witnessed someone being fined for failing
    > to declare some beef jerky at SFO. Definitely not worth the risk.
    >
    > wildxena <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > My parents are about to come over and attend my wedding. Due to our traditional
    > > Chinese wedding culture, my relatives bought me lots of gold necklaces and
    > > bracelaces, some bought me diamond necklaces and my parents got us engraved
    > > wedding bands. Since my parents will have to bring all them over to me as wedding
    > > gifts, would the US custom allow them to bring them over by simply telling them
    > > they are my wedding gift (which they are)? They are just worried that the US
    > > custom will tax them for all those jewelries. Would the US custom really do that?
    > > Do they need to show the US custom our wedding invite as a proof?
    > >
    > > They will be here in 10 days, could anyone advise me on that? Anyone have similar
    > > experience?
    > >
    > > Thanks.

Old May 8th 2002, 10:30 am
Shelley

This is from the US customs page http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/travel/travel.htm
TESTTEST-- Gift exemptions

As a nonresident, you are allowed up to $100 worth of merchandise, free of duty and
internal revenue tax, as gifts for other people. To claim this exemption, you must
remain in the United States for at least 72 hours, and the gifts must accompany you.

This $100 gift exemption, or any part of it, can be claimed only once every six
months. You may include 100 cigars within the gift exemption, but alcoholic beverages
may not be included.

Family members may not group their gift exemptions. For example, say a husband and
wife are bringing a $200 gift to a friend in the United States. Only one family
member would be allowed to claim the $100 gift exemption. The remaining $100 would be
dutiable at the flat rate of duty. However, the husband and wife could each bring in
a $100 gift, and each would be granted the gift exemption as long as other Customs
requirements are met. TESTTESTTEST-- Do not gift-wrap your articles because they must
be available for Customs inspection. TESTTESTTEST-- Wedding Gifts

No specific duty exemption for wedding gifts is granted to nonresidents.

Take Care. Shelley

"wildxena" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > My parents are about to come over and attend my wedding. Due to our traditional
    > Chinese wedding culture, my relatives bought me lots of gold necklaces and
    > bracelaces, some bought me diamond necklaces and my parents got us engraved wedding
    > bands. Since my parents will have to bring all them over to me as wedding gifts,
    > would the US custom allow them to bring them over by simply telling them they are
    > my wedding gift (which they are)? They are just worried that the US custom will tax
    > them for all those jewelries. Would the US custom really do that? Do they need to
    > show the US custom our wedding invite as a proof?
    >
    > They will be here in 10 days, could anyone advise me on that? Anyone have similar
    > experience?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 10th 2002, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

wildxena is on a distinguished road

Thank you all.
Thanks for giving me the link Shelly. Now I found something from the site regarding tax exempt products which are eligible to bring over, could you take a look and confirm me that the jewelry they are bringing over would not be taxed on (only they are required to claim them on the form)

http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/travel/gsp.htm#popular tourist items

Please let me know. I really apprecite with your assurance.

Thanks!
Old May 10th 2002, 6:20 pm
Shelley

I'm really not an expert in this area - you'd probably be much better off it you
contacted Customs yourself or had your parents check with the US Consulate in their
country before traveling. The paragraph you point to seems to say jewelry to be used
by the traveler for personal use, it says nothing about gifts. And there is a list of
Beneficiary Countries - is your home country on the list? I really think you need an
official opinion on this one. Take Care. Shelley

"wildxena" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Thank you all. Thanks for giving me the link Shelly. Now I found something from the
    > site regarding tax exempt products which are eligible to bring over, could you take
    > a look and confirm me that the jewelry they are bringing over would not be taxed on
    > (only they are required to claim them on the form)
    >
    > http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/travel/gsp.htm#popular tourist items
    >
    > Please let me know. I really apprecite with your assurance.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com