British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Entering the US from Aruba (on E2 Visa) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/entering-us-aruba-e2-visa-934369/)

Onomatopoeia Aug 17th 2020 2:22 pm

Entering the US from Aruba (on E2 Visa)

Hi all - just had a quick question that I'm unsure if anybody here might be able to answer

I'm currently in the US on an E2 visa (valid until March 2022) - I haven't left the US since November 2019. My girlfriend turns 30 in November and we've had a trip booked for a while (almost a year) to visit Aruba for 4 days then.

For various reasons we're still unsure if we'll go ahead with this trip - general uncertainty about the safety/how sensible it is to travel during COVID, plus Aruba seems to be spiking anyway since re-opening to tourists in July, so it seems a strong possibility they'll close their borders to tourists again by November anyway.

My question though is if we do go ahead with this trip - would I actually be able to re-enter the US from Aruba on the E2 visa? This isn't one of the visa categories exempt from the 14-day "travel ban", and Aruba is technically part of the Netherlands...though obviously not part of the Schengen zone.

The use of the Schengen wording seems deliberate enough that I'd assume overseas territories like this in the Caribbean don't count, though it seems unclear and not sure I'd like to take the chance.... the US consulate website for Aruba and the other Dutch Islands states "There are currently no restrictions on traveling from Aruba to the United States. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) maintains a list of countries/regions that are under current COVID-19 travel restrictions. Note that for the context of these restrictions, Aruba is NOT considered part of the Schengen Area." which seems pretty clear...but this is the only place I could find any sort of explanation.

I don't suppose anybody has had success re-entering the US in the last few weeks, from Aruba, or has any further knowledge on the above?

Thanks

Pulaski Aug 17th 2020 3:51 pm

Re: Entering the US from Aruba (on E2 Visa)

As you are neither a US citizen nor a permanent resident I would recommend against leaving the US at this time, as nobody is going to be able to guarantee that you will be readmitted to the US.

Onomatopoeia Aug 17th 2020 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12898012)
As you are neither a US citizen nor a permanent resident I would recommend against leaving the US at this time, as nobody is going to be able to guarantee that you will be readmitted to the US.

Thanks Pulaski, that's the way I'm leaning too on the "risk/reward" scale. Nice to know I'm not being overly paranoid.

Pulaski Aug 17th 2020 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Onomatopoeia (Post 12898030)
..... Nice to know I'm not being overly paranoid.

You're welcome. :) ..... For someone who's residence rights hinge on a visa status, there is no such thing under the current circumstances. :(