Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Entering the UK with a US passport

Entering the UK with a US passport

Old Nov 20th 2021, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entering the UK with a US passport

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Because you have no proof you are one. Declaring to immigration that you intend to work on a US passport with no visa is going to be a problem. Even if you use a ePassport gate to enter you won’t be able to pass a Right to Work check with a UK employer.
i've told the tale of a friend's son who tried to enter the UK on his US passport (before times of e-gates) and when being asked what he intended to do in the UK and how long he was staying for said "come to work for my uncle and staying for good'.
It was only after he was in secondary that he 'mentioned' he was a UK citizen and pulled out his UK passport ...
Old Nov 20th 2021, 6:44 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
They could also use their UK birth certificate together with a HMRC document listing their National Insurance number but someone returning from overseas is unlikely to have that. Working remotely is a separate issue.

I believe the list is more comprehensive than that (I don’t have a UK birth certificate for example), my national insurance number card is also so old it was issued by the UK Department if Social Security. I agree you might no bring those types of documents unless you were planning to verify your eligibility to work or moving back to the UK, but if you were then it seems like it would nit be an issue. Someone may also have an expire British passport, which might not work for boarding a flight but may work for other things.

Old Nov 20th 2021, 9:04 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
I believe the list is more comprehensive than that (I don’t have a UK birth certificate for example), my national insurance number card is also so old it was issued by the UK Department if Social Security. I agree you might no bring those types of documents unless you were planning to verify your eligibility to work or moving back to the UK, but if you were then it seems like it would nit be an issue. Someone may also have an expire British passport, which might not work for boarding a flight but may work for other things.
For a British citizen born in the UK those are your only options. The passport can be expired so flying back on a valid US passport and showing an expired British passport would work.

Last edited by BritInParis; Nov 20th 2021 at 9:06 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2021, 1:56 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
The UK does not give exit stamps.
Really? They should. to avoid issues and to provide data .
Old Nov 21st 2021, 7:00 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
i've told the tale of a friend's son who tried to enter the UK on his US passport (before times of e-gates) and when being asked what he intended to do in the UK and how long he was staying for said "come to work for my uncle and staying for good'.
It was only after he was in secondary that he 'mentioned' he was a UK citizen and pulled out his UK passport ...
Conversely, I once had to show my US passport when entering Britain. The official didn’t like the photo in my British passport (it didn’t look like me, for whatever reason.) So he asked to see my “other passport.” (His words.) He was satisfied by that photo, so let me in.
Old Nov 21st 2021, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
The UK does not give exit stamps.
Originally Posted by RICH
Really? They should. to avoid issues and to provide data .
Most countries, including the USA, don't give exit stamps.

With Australia you do have to go through border control on leaving, and complete an exit form. They check your passport at that point to ensure you have been in the country legally and not overstayed. My son-in-law, in California, has dual US/Aust citizenship, and Australia also insists that their citizens enter and leave on their passports. When returning to the USA from Australia he checks in at the airline desk with his US passport and at border control shows his Australian passport.
Old Nov 26th 2021, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
So, the question is whether or not a Maryland notary can certify copies of documents? As per this website, apparently not.
For Irish passport application, the driver's license can be certified by a lawyer:

https://www.dfa.ie/passports/documen...tadultpassport
  • Original passport from another country, national ID card, social security card or a certified (by solicitor) copy of your driver’s license.
Although weirdly the following also appears if you were adopted by Irish citizen(s):
  • Original passport from another country, national ID card, social security card or a certified copy of your driver's license (certified by a solicitor or notary public)
Old Nov 26th 2021, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

vladnelson is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
For Irish passport application, the driver's license can be certified by a lawyer:

https://www.dfa.ie/passports/documen...tadultpassport
  • Original passport from another country, national ID card, social security card or a certified (by solicitor) copy of your driver’s license.
Although weirdly the following also appears if you were adopted by Irish citizen(s):
  • Original passport from another country, national ID card, social security card or a certified copy of your driver's license (certified by a solicitor or notary public)
Yes but I have 2 middle names but only one is included on my drivers licence. It might not be a problem but I'd rather make sure there were no hiccups. If I only had a British passport I would be more reluctant to send it but with a US passport I can use if necessary I will probably send that via UPS
. It is weird that a notary can certify a licence but only if you are adopted.