Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Entering U.S.A with permanent resident card. Which line?

Entering U.S.A with permanent resident card. Which line?

Old Jan 5th 2012, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

h0tr0dder_uk is just really niceh0tr0dder_uk is just really niceh0tr0dder_uk is just really niceh0tr0dder_uk is just really niceh0tr0dder_uk is just really niceh0tr0dder_uk is just really niceh0tr0dder_uk is just really niceh0tr0dder_uk is just really nice
Default Entering U.S.A with permanent resident card. Which line?

Just a quick simple question. I am flying back to California tomorrow after my first holiday outside of the U.S.A. I have my 2 year permanent resident card. I was wondering which line I will need to get in at immigration? Im guessing foreign citizens but hoping I can go through the U.S citizens line as it should be quicker and I need to get to a connecting flight pretty quickly.

Thanks
Old Jan 5th 2012, 5:00 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entering U.S.A with permanent resident card. Which line?

It's common for PRs to enter on the USC line -- look for the signs. Hold your green card visible on the top of your passport so that anyone directing traffic knows you're a PR.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

h0tr0dder_uk is just really niceh0tr0dder_uk is just really niceh0tr0dder_uk is just really niceh0tr0dder_uk is just really niceh0tr0dder_uk is just really niceh0tr0dder_uk is just really niceh0tr0dder_uk is just really niceh0tr0dder_uk is just really nice

Originally Posted by fatbrit
It's common for PRs to enter on the USC line -- look for the signs. Hold your green card visible on the top of your passport so that anyone directing traffic knows you're a PR.
Yay - I think that's what Im gonna try regardless
Old Jan 5th 2012, 5:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Are you landing in San Diego?

If so, as soon as you arrive and start heading towards the immigration area, keep to your left.

They've recently (finally!!) changed the queues to
1 (far left) US cits
2. PR and visa
Remaining. visitors.

Previously there was only 1 as above, or "others". I used to hang out in lane 2, do as suggested above, and make myself known to the immigration/queue controller. Always got bumped into line 1 as that queue dwindled.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Are you landing in San Diego?

If so, as soon as you arrive and start heading towards the immigration area, keep to your left.

They've recently (finally!!) changed the queues to
1 (far left) US cits
2. PR and visa
Remaining. visitors.

Previously there was only 1 as above, or "others". I used to hang out in lane 2, do as suggested above, and make myself known to the immigration/queue controller. Always got bumped into line 1 as that queue dwindled.
unfortunately Im landing in houston first so Im not sure what kind of lines they have.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 6:53 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by h0tr0dder_uk
unfortunately Im landing in houston first so Im not sure what kind of lines they have.
There will be a sign where the queues start. Just join the queue that's marked Permanent Residents. There's nothing more to it than that.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

I've entered with my Green Card by air twice now. At Dublin pre-clearance it was USCs + LPRs, at JFK there was a specific LPRs line. It really does depend on the airport. From what people have posted before there are or were a few places where LPRs couldn't use the USCs line (probably because the booths didn't have the fingerprint scanners) but that's rare.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 10:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Each airport, different rules.

Just look at the signs posted.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

redglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant future

Houston - Permanent Residents join the same line as US Citizens. Still have to wait in line though.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the replies. Just for future info for other people, there was a sign that pointed u.s citizens and permanents residents into the same line. I still had to queue but it was a damn sight shorter than the other line.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by h0tr0dder_uk
Thanks for all the replies. Just for future info for other people, there was a sign that pointed u.s citizens and permanents residents into the same line. I still had to queue but it was a damn sight shorter than the other line.
Same at LAX, place was a zoo Sunday night mind you.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 6:11 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

One of my relatives used to use the USC line at SAN even before he was an LPR. Couldn't be bothered to stand in line (heavy commuter), he used to just feign ignorance and he told me one time he just said: "by the way, my taxes pay your salary".
Old Jan 18th 2012, 11:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
.... and he told me one time he just said: "by the way, my taxes pay your salary".
Charming.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 12:05 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Charming.
I'll see your Charming and raise you a Stupid...
Old Jan 18th 2012, 4:12 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, he can be a wanker. But in fairness he had a point, he was there legally working, not as a visitor and he went through that POE very frequently. Not so much of an issue now with Global Entry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.