Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Entering NY as POE with my Frenchie

Entering NY as POE with my Frenchie

Old Aug 4th 2018, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

circusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Entering NY as POE with my Frenchie

Hi guys,

This is my 3rd or 4th post here, really helpful community. Now I do have L1, I have been in US for few weeks and commuting LHR-ORD a few others (not ideal).
In Sep my wife and our french bulldog are arriving to NY in the Queen Mary 2, I am sure it will be a lovely trip for them, however I cannot find a firm statement regarding the requirements to enter the pet in US.

Cunard (operating company for QM2) says coming from UK nothing as long as your dog is up to date in vaccinations. A second call to Cunard was stated that I need a certificate of health for the dog, with rabbies proof and worm treatment.
In the gov website it is saying certificate (UK/EU passport is not an official doc for them apparently) with rabbies, details of the dog,...signed by a licensed vet.

Talking to my vet she said Passport is fine, but I read is not official doc, the need a certificate. Not confident with their reply.
I want to avoid any problems and possible quarantine (even my dog is up to all vaccinations and treatments) just because of a paper not in the correct template or something like that.

Question is: did any of you enter the US with a dog? I guess the requirements will be similar by air and by sea.
Appreciate any answers based on experience and recommendation. We live in Fulham, London, so happy to bring the dog to any vet for the prep /certificate.
Cheers for the help!
Old Aug 4th 2018, 11:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entering NY as POE with my Frenchie

Try this link see if it helps

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet...l-dogs-into-us
Old Aug 4th 2018, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

We brought our cat into NYC when we emigrated and her EU pet passport was accepted as proof of rabies vaccination. It was signed by the vet and the sticker from the rabies jab attached which is pretty good evidence. This was eight years ago though.

Last edited by rpjs; Aug 4th 2018 at 2:56 pm. Reason: typo
Old Aug 4th 2018, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

circusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Thanks Former Lancastrian! This is helpful. Half of the sites linked to the given URL I already read. What bothers me are the different opinions based on cruise operators, UK vet and the gov site.
Therefore asking for people's opinion who have gone through this process.

Cheers
Old Aug 4th 2018, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rpjs
We brought our cst into NYC when we emigrated and her EU pet passport was accepted as proof of rabies vaccination. It was signed by the vet and the sticker from the rabies jab attached which is pretty good evidence. This was eight years ago though.
Great news. My UK passport have all stickers and stamps from vet, with due dates which are not expired yet.
I have read passport is no longer the "certificate" they ask for, however may contain the same information. This is really helpful though!

I will wait if someone has more recent experience
Cheers
Old Aug 4th 2018, 1:55 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I know it was 20 years ago and it was a drive-in entry from Canada but hubby needed a letter and chart from his vet that both cats were up-to-date on vaccinations and that they had had their rabies shots. I know many people just drive across the border with their animals in their car but because hubby was emigrating he was required to have the above.

Have you used BE's search function?
Old Aug 4th 2018, 2:03 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Many people, myself sometimes as well, forgets that BE has a wonderful WIKI setup.

Go here: https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Bringing_Pets
Old Aug 4th 2018, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks all!
Old Aug 7th 2018, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

jaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond repute

We entered the US on the Queen Mary 2 with our dog 6 years ago. We too panicked because of the various different sources/requirements/opinions (Cunard included). We had our dog given the rabies vaccine in the UK and our vet gave us a letter certifying him fit for travel and confirming deworming. In our case, we arrived in Brooklyn with all our documentation and not one question was asked, or document seen - they were more interested in secondary screening for my white envelope. This was the same same case for other pet owners we shared the ride with - quite disappointing really! I gather heading back to the UK is MUCH more strict. Once you settle in a state, you'll need to follow town/state rules for dog license and registration. Here in Greenwich CT, it's proof of rabies vaccine (usually valid for 2-3 years) and $7 once a year (un-spayed/neutered animals are more).

Your wife is going to have a fabulous trip and the Kennelmaster will look after your dog very well!.

Last edited by jaffy23; Aug 7th 2018 at 6:49 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2018, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jaffy23
We entered the US on the Queen Mary 2 with our dog 6 years ago. We too panicked because of the various different sources/requirements/opinions (Cunard included). We had our dog given the rabies vaccine in the UK and our vet gave us a letter certifying him fit for travel and confirming deworming. In our case, we arrived in Brooklyn with all our documentation and not one question was asked, or document seen - they were more interested in secondary screening for my white envelope. This was the same same case for other pet owners we shared the ride with - quite disappointing really! I gather heading back to the UK is MUCH more strict. Once you settle in a state, you'll need to follow town/state rules for dog license and registration. Here in Greenwich CT, it's proof of rabies vaccine (usually valid for 2-3 years) and $7 once a year (un-spayed/neutered animals are more).

Your wife is going to have a fabulous trip and the Kennelmaster will look after your dog very well!.
Thanks Jaffy23!! your post helps a lot
My dog is 2.5 years old and has rabies jabs up to date, it is OK until July 2019. I guess the the letter from vet will be OK.
Any special formatting from the certification/ letter that you recall?

Cheers