Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Entering / exiting UK with US / UK passports

Entering / exiting UK with US / UK passports

Old Feb 19th 2019, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entering / exiting UK with US / UK passports

Originally Posted by morpeth
A question which I realize may be silly If a dual-citizen leaves UK to visit Ireland on US passport, is here an exit control in UK that will put a stamp on passport saying left the Uk ( to show before 6 months up). Conversely, if one comes into Uk from Ireland on a U passports any stamp made on passport to show date returned to UK ? ( I assume not just asking)

If a dual citizen going to USA for reservation do they give US or UK passport info?
The UK gave up exit controls sometime in the 90’s I believe (I remember going through them several times at Newcastle airport). There may be an IGA where the US and UK share information but unlikely.

I don’t understand your last question. When traveling to the US a dual citizen has to use his US passport and the airline has the responsibility to check which is how Boris Johnson was refused entry in 2006(?) when trying to board in London with his family.

Old Feb 19th 2019, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I'm not a dual citizen, I'm only a US citizen, but I traveled from USA to Ireland, Ireland to Scotland, Scotland to England, England to Wales, Wales to Ireland, and Ireland to USA. My passport was only stamped upon that first entry to Ireland and that's it.

Rene
That also happened with our SIL. They flew to Ireland where we met up with them for a few days and when we flew to Manchester we arrived at a domestic terminal with no border control.
Old Feb 19th 2019, 8:40 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I'm not a dual citizen, I'm only a US citizen, but I traveled from ..., Scotland to England, England to Wales, ….. My passport was only stamped upon that first entry to Ireland and that's it. ….
Well they (England, Scotland, and Wales) aren't separate countries, there is a reason why the country is called "the United Kingdom". So having to present a passport travelling between those three would be roughly comparable to having to show a passport if you drove into California.
Old Feb 19th 2019, 8:44 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

I am not aware that the UK has ever stamped passports to record departures.
When I started my last posting to SB Ports Squad (1996) at T2 at LHR there were exit passport controls, where passports were checked and stamped. Every now and again someone leaving on a non UK passport would be asked where their entry stamp was in it, and they would pull a UK passport from a pocket.

Last edited by lansbury; Feb 19th 2019 at 8:53 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2019, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well they (England, Scotland, and Wales) aren't separate countries, there is a reason why the country is called "the United Kingdom". So having to present a passport travelling between those three would be roughly comparable to having to show a passport if you drove into California.
The last time we drove to California we did have to show our US passports. They diverted the whole of I10 into a border control checkpoint. We were going onto Canada after visiting our daughter in Santa Monica so actually had our passports with us.
Old Feb 19th 2019, 8:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
The last time we drove to California we did have to show our US passports. They diverted the whole of I10 into a border control checkpoint. We were going onto Canada after visiting our daughter in Santa Monica so actually had our passports with us.
But in fairness that was a function of the proximity of I10 to the Mexican border, not that you were travelling from one US state to another.
Old Feb 19th 2019, 9:35 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

A question which I realize may be silly If a dual-citizen leaves UK to visit Ireland on US passport, is here an exit control in UK that will put a stamp on passport saying left the Uk ( to show before 6 months up). Conversely, if one comes into Uk from Ireland on a U passports any stamp made on passport to show date returned to UK ? ( I assume not just asking)

If a dual citizen going to USA for reservation do they give US or UK passport info?
There’s no passport controls between the UK and the RoI so it’s a moot point.
Old Feb 19th 2019, 9:37 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
The UK gave up exit controls sometime in the 90’s I believe (I remember going through them several times at Newcastle airport). There may be an IGA where the US and UK share information but unlikely.

I don’t understand your last question. When traveling to the US a dual citizen has to use his US passport and the airline has the responsibility to check which is how Boris Johnson was refused entry in 2006(?) when trying to board in London with his family.
Electronic exit controls were introduced several years ago.
Old Feb 19th 2019, 9:54 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I know.

Rene
Old Feb 19th 2019, 11:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
There’s no passport controls between the UK and the RoI so it’s a moot point.
That is what I thought but thought I would asked because two people recently told me they would stamp the passports. Basically we have a need for showing
my daughter entered the UK to a British passport, which she renewed recently in UK. So was hoping Ireland an option, so I guess it is off to the continent for a weekend..
Old Feb 20th 2019, 12:04 am

That is what I thought but thought I would asked because two people recently told me they would stamp the passports. Basically we have a need for showing
my daughter entered the UK to a British passport, which she renewed recently in UK. So was hoping Ireland an option, so I guess it is off to the continent for a weekend..
The UK doesn’t stamp its own citizens in or out of the UK and neither will the EU this side of Brexit. What exactly are you trying to achieve?
Old Feb 20th 2019, 3:19 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently you don’t even need your own passport these days.

Whitley Bay man stranded in Prague after friend flew home on his passport
Old Feb 20th 2019, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by AdobePinon

And Shameena Begum flew to Turkey on her sister’s passport. A quick glance by airline staff is all you usually get until you reach your destination.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by AdobePinon

From the linked report:
….A spokesman for the British Embassy in Prague said it was not unusual for people to travel on other people's passports.

He said: "People do travel on (the wrong passport), they don't get checked when they come out and stuff like that.

"It's quite common actually, to be honest with you, people do travel on other people's passports accidentally, it does happen.

"Border controls sometimes don't look, I don't know for what reason."….
Every sentence above is a whole new WTF!

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 20th 2019 at 1:14 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

plowe2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I do what you do all the time with no problem