Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Entering / exiting UK with US / UK passports

Entering / exiting UK with US / UK passports

Old Jan 17th 2019, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

EricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to all
Default Entering / exiting UK with US / UK passports

I am worried I might have done something that will cause an issue - can anyone advise:

JFK to Frankfurt, departed US on US passport, entered Frankfurt using UK passport.

Then went from.Brussels to UK on Eurostar, departed Brussels using UK passport.

Return is London City to Frankfurt, overnight layover at airport hotel then Frankfurt to JFK

Check in at London City was all the way through to JFK (bags are being sent directly there) I used US passport to check in.

So - I entered Europe with my UK passport but so far there is no record of me leaving with that passport. When I go to get my boarding pass at Frankfurt tomorrow morning shall I present both passports? Just my US passport?

Old Jan 17th 2019, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entering / exiting UK with US / UK passports

I used to do what you describe all the time when I was working and traveling to various UK and EU countries and followed the same practice you describe. When your destination is the USA you must present your US passport to the airline.

Always carry both passports with you in case you are questioned. The UK used to be like Australia is now in that it had exit controls with border control agents who checked that you had been in the country legally. Our son in law lives and works in the USA and is a dual Australia/USA citizen so on entering Australia to visit family he is required to show his Australian passport but on leaving presents his US passport at check in but then his Australian passport at border control before getting to the gates. (Like the USA, Australia requires its citizens to enter and leave on their Australian passport).
Old Jan 17th 2019, 4:41 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You did not do anything wrong. In fact, you did everything right!

Rene
Old Jan 17th 2019, 4:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You did not do anything wrong. In fact, you did everything right! ….
I agree.

I am not sure that the passport systems in Europe are joined up enough yet to match incoming and departing passports, bearing in mind that you could arrive in, say, Lisbon and depart from, say, Athens anything from a couple of days to ten years or more later, and not be logged by any passport system in between. But hypothetically if someone wanted to match incoming and outgoing passports then, after "same passport" matches, your "different passport" (assuming same name, same DoB, same origin/ultimate destination port (or at least "country") would be right at the top of the list to be paired off manually.
Old Jan 17th 2019, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

EricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to all

Thanks for the feedback - will stop worrying!
Old Jan 18th 2019, 3:29 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EricK
I am worried I might have done something that will cause an issue - can anyone advise:

JFK to Frankfurt, departed US on US passport, entered Frankfurt using UK passport.

Then went from.Brussels to UK on Eurostar, departed Brussels using UK passport.

Return is London City to Frankfurt, overnight layover at airport hotel then Frankfurt to JFK

Check in at London City was all the way through to JFK (bags are being sent directly there) I used US passport to check in.

So - I entered Europe with my UK passport but so far there is no record of me leaving with that passport. When I go to get my boarding pass at Frankfurt tomorrow morning shall I present both passports? Just my US passport?

Assuming you hold a UK passport because you are a British Citizen and not for some other reason like being a British overseas territories citizen you have the right to remain in the UK indefinitely, so why would you need to create a record of leaving, are you are worried about UK tax residence or something else?
Old Jan 18th 2019, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tht

Assuming you hold a UK passport because you are a British Citizen and not for some other reason like being a British overseas territories citizen you have the right to remain in the UK indefinitely, so why would you need to create a record of leaving, are you are worried about UK tax residence or something else?
I am a British Citizen, and yes precisely that - if there is no record of me leaving I was worried for residency / tax purposes.

At Frankfurt I used my US passport at ticket check-in and my UK passport when passing through immigration exiting Germany.

Last edited by EricK; Jan 18th 2019 at 6:02 am.
Old Jan 18th 2019, 1:34 pm
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

I am a British Citizen, and yes precisely that - if there is no record of me leaving I was worried for residency / tax purposes.

At Frankfurt I used my US passport at ticket check-in and my UK passport when passing through immigration exiting Germany.
Keep your boarding passes, credit card statements showing spending outside UK or even download your US entry record online, if it ever comes up you have evidence you left.
Old Jan 18th 2019, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

The chances are extremely slim that you will be challenged on it, but HSBC ratted me out once. In 2011 we stayed for 7 months arriving early March and spending several weeks overseas in Ireland, Madeira and a 2 week cruise to Iceland and Norway. I kept a spreadsheet tracking our time in the UK every year including a rolling 4 year average as was the rule at the time on residency. Shortly after getting back to the USA HSBC wrote me a letter with apologies that it was an HMRC requirement that they monitored activity of their overseas customers and from the transactions at ATMs it appeared I may have hit the residency limits. They supplied me with an HMRC form to complete on which I had to enter the entry and exit dates over the last few years plus the expected time I would spent over the next few years in the UK. I did not need to forward any proof such as boarding passes but I did dig out my airline and cruise ticket receipts in case there was any follow-up.

There was no follow up which I was relieved about as I didn’t keep any boarding cards which would have been the definitive proof of leaving the country as buying tickets does not mean that I actually took those flights or sailed on the ferry to Ireland or took the cruise to Iceland etc.
Old Jan 18th 2019, 6:18 pm
tht

Originally Posted by durham_lad

The chances are extremely slim that you will be challenged on it, but HSBC ratted me out once. In 2011 we stayed for 7 months arriving early March and spending several weeks overseas in Ireland, Madeira and a 2 week cruise to Iceland and Norway. I kept a spreadsheet tracking our time in the UK every year including a rolling 4 year average as was the rule at the time on residency. Shortly after getting back to the USA HSBC wrote me a letter with apologies that it was an HMRC requirement that they monitored activity of their overseas customers and from the transactions at ATMs it appeared I may have hit the residency limits. They supplied me with an HMRC form to complete on which I had to enter the entry and exit dates over the last few years plus the expected time I would spent over the next few years in the UK. I did not need to forward any proof such as boarding passes but I did dig out my airline and cruise ticket receipts in case there was any follow-up.

There was no follow up which I was relieved about as I didn’t keep any boarding cards which would have been the definitive proof of leaving the country as buying tickets does not mean that I actually took those flights or sailed on the ferry to Ireland or took the cruise to Iceland etc.
A boarding pass is not definitive proof of much more than checking in, a frequent flyer account statement is better proof as they only credit when a flight is taken, not just checkin. Interesting that HSBC was monitoring and that they alerted you to that, rather than just informing HMRC.
Old Jan 18th 2019, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tht

A boarding pass is not definitive proof of much more than checking in, a frequent flyer account statement is better proof as they only credit when a flight is taken, not just checkin. Interesting that HSBC was monitoring and that they alerted you to that, rather than just informing HMRC.
Definitely pleased to have HSBC contact me instead of HMRC, and the HMRC form I completed was also sent to HSBC so HMRC were completely out of the loop.

Old Jan 19th 2019, 5:18 pm
tht

Definitely pleased to have HSBC contact me instead of HMRC, and the HMRC form I completed was also sent to HSBC so HMRC were completely out of the loop.

yes definelty nice, I am more used to the FinCEN SAR type requirements where you are not allowed to inform the subject of the report.
Old Feb 19th 2019, 7:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

A question which I realize may be silly If a dual-citizen leaves UK to visit Ireland on US passport, is here an exit control in UK that will put a stamp on passport saying left the Uk ( to show before 6 months up). Conversely, if one comes into Uk from Ireland on a U passports any stamp made on passport to show date returned to UK ? ( I assume not just asking)

If a dual citizen going to USA for reservation do they give US or UK passport info?
Old Feb 19th 2019, 7:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
A question which I realize may be silly If a dual-citizen leaves UK to visit Ireland on US passport, is here an exit control in UK that will put a stamp on passport saying left the Uk ( to show before 6 months up). Conversely, if one comes into Uk from Ireland on a U passports any stamp made on passport to show date returned to UK ? ( I assume not just asking)

If a dual citizen going to USA for reservation do they give US or UK passport info?
This is not exactly an answer to your question, but last December my daughter arrived in the UK (LHR), from the US, on her US passport, and there was no stamp put in it at all, though obviously the UK passport system logged her entry to the UK.

I am not aware that the UK has ever stamped passports to record departures.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 19th 2019 at 8:34 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2019, 8:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a dual citizen, I'm only a US citizen, but I traveled from USA to Ireland, Ireland to Scotland, Scotland to England, England to Wales, Wales to Ireland, and Ireland to USA. My passport was only stamped upon that first entry to Ireland and that's it.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.