British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Enrolling in Medicare (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/enrolling-medicare-931249/)

fiona stanfield Feb 21st 2020 1:49 am

Enrolling in Medicare

I will be Medicare eligible this year and I live mostly in the Uk now and part time in the USA. I get social security benefits. Will I automatically be enrolled or will I have to send for enrollment forms. Is there anyone on the forum that lives in both countries and who is on Medicare?

robin1234 Feb 21st 2020 7:41 am

Re: Enrolling in Medicare

Originally Posted by fiona stanfield (Post 12809535)
I will be Medicare eligible this year and I live mostly in the Uk now and part time in the USA. I get social security benefits. Will I automatically be enrolled or will I have to send for enrollment forms. Is there anyone on the forum that lives in both countries and who is on Medicare?

Yup I’m in that position, I spend six or seven months each year in the UK and five months or so in the US. I have Medicare Pt. A and I pay for Medicare Pt. B out of my monthly SS payment. I also have a Medicare Advantage plan for which I pay no further premium. I’m pretty sure the SS and Medicare don’t know I live abroad though! They certainly didn’t when I signed up, five years ago. At that time I got Pt A and Pt. B by default, which I believe is the normal situation for folks when they reach age 65. (I get my SS deposited in my US bank, and the only address they have is my US address.)

So, not sure if this’ll apply to you also. Does the SS know you live abroad? It might be that if you live abroad, you have to give them specific instructions about your Medicare coverage.

fiona stanfield Feb 21st 2020 2:59 pm

Hi thank you for replying. Yes they do have my address in the Uk. But my survivors benefits go into my US bank. I don’t know wether they will automatically enroll me or not, I may have to call them and see how they do it. I know that you have to pay part B out of your benefits. I already have something to pay my copays.

Nutmegger Feb 21st 2020 5:45 pm

My Medicare premium wasn’t deducted from social security when I signed up, but even if it is going to be, I’m pretty sure you must submit the paperwork. You can submit online three months prior to the date you become eligible for Medicare.

MidAtlantic Feb 21st 2020 5:57 pm

As per this: https://www.medicare.gov/sign-up-cha...-with-medicare

Those who are not receiving social security need to apply. Those who are receiving social security should get a "Welcome" pack three months before becoming 65.

Nutmegger Feb 21st 2020 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic (Post 12809774)

Those who are not receiving social security you need to apply. Those who are receiving social security should get a "Welcome" pack three months before becoming 65.

Thanks for the correction, I obviously did it all back to front!

robin1234 Feb 21st 2020 7:01 pm

It’s bad isn’t it - when commencing SS benefits, and Medicare, is so far in the past, you have only fragmentary memories of how you did it!

Nutmegger Feb 21st 2020 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 12809798)
It’s bad isn’t it - when commencing SS benefits, and Medicare, is so far in the past, you have only fragmentary memories of how you did it!

LOL -- I know how I did it, but I didn't take SS until five years later, so I gather that changes the process!

fiona stanfield Feb 21st 2020 9:08 pm

Thank you for that link. I get survivors benefits which is my husbands social security so should I still apply 3 months before my birthday or do you think social security will automatically enroll me?

Rete Feb 22nd 2020 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic (Post 12809774)

Those who are not receiving social security need to apply. Those who are receiving social security should get a "Welcome" pack three months before becoming 65.

I was 66 + and still working and had private heathcare and not receiving SS benefits yet. I never received a packet when I reached 65 nor was I automatically enrolled. When I finally decided to retire, I called them to advise them of my pending retirement. They said I had to enroll in Medicare and should have done so long ago as I was over 65. They enrolled me effective three months prior to my retirement date.

fiona stanfield Feb 22nd 2020 3:13 pm

Thank you so much for the link. Now I know what I have to do. It said that because I am receiving survivors benefits they will send me a welcome package in the mail then I will apply for part B. Thank you.

Nutmegger Feb 23rd 2020 10:40 pm

I read an article in the New York Times today about older people choosing to retire abroad. It recommended a site called medicareinteractive.org for information about dealing with heath insurance issues while living overseas, and I thought it might be a resource of interest to the good folks on BE;

Medicare and Living Abroad

Floridablues Feb 24th 2020 10:57 am

I've just reached the age of 65, lived in Florida as a dual national for the past 17 years. Quick chat with my local social security office and they enrolled me in part A and part B which came at a cost of around $144 per month. The lady said this will be billed every 3 months. I've just recently received my Medicare card/number in the mail. I/m sure I read somewhere that if I didn't sign up in the 3 month window there would be a penalty fee for late enrollment.

MidAtlantic Feb 24th 2020 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12810135)
I was 66 + and still working and had private heathcare and not receiving SS benefits yet. I never received a packet when I reached 65 nor was I automatically enrolled. When I finally decided to retire, I called them to advise them of my pending retirement. They said I had to enroll in Medicare and should have done so long ago as I was over 65. They enrolled me effective three months prior to my retirement date.

Which is entirely consistent with the link I gave.